Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

iRacing

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Aug 26, 2008

iRacing.com is an online simulation racing game for the PC featuring numerous licensed cars and tracks.

Want to see what iRacing looks like in the Oculus Rift?

Avatar image for skullcrushermountain
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

These guys made a pretty good demo of what it actually looks like to use a Rift in iRacing. They didn't put it at the higher resolution and let the game downsample, which apparently helps the aliasing quite a bit. From what I understand, however, it's slightly better quality than this in real life, but you can get an idea of what the "Screen door effect" looks like.

It still looks incredible, and I cannot WAIT for my unit to get here.

maxx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I did a race at one of the oval tracks the other day, and some guy in the chat was using the Rift. He talked about it quite a bit during the race. Said that he was much better able to judge how close he was to the other cars since it was 3D. He also said it was his first time racing with it and the first race where he didn't make any mistakes. He was very enthusiastic about it.

The best part about it though was how the other drivers had no idea what he was talking about. I wish I could have recorded the audio, but here's what was said:

"What's an Oculus Rift?"

"It's like virtual reality."

"Oh, you have multiple monitors then."

"No no, it's like I can see everywhere."

"Oooh, you have one of those 360 degree screens, neat."

"No, it's not that at all. It's like... it's like I can reach out and touch the wheel."

"Uhh..."

"It's a screen that's strapped to your head and when you move your head it moves the images at the same time."

"Oh, ok yeah, one of those virtual reality things."

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This thing is a perfect fit for the sim community, and I think it could well become extremely popular there. TrackIR is nice, but it's pretty unnatural to turn your head one way while you keep you eyes focused on the same spot. It's much more convenient than a triple screen setup as well.

I'll be waiting for the retail release until I get one, but it's gonna be awesome.

ColdsnapBryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ColdsnapBryan

At GDC this year I played a racing game that was being demoed with the rift. Guy said I was the first one outside to try the racing demo. I thought it was pretty awesome, but really had to stretch the imagination through that screen door effect.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@khann said:

I'll be waiting for the retail release until I get one, but it's gonna be awesome.

This must be one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Especially when I can just get one now. I don't think I've wanted anything more than I do the Rift. Everyday I contemplate just buying the dev kit and just buying it again when it comes out. But that's a dumb thing for my kind of income. Doable, but dumb and irresponsible.

Avatar image for skullcrushermountain
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jams said:

@khann said:

This must be one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Especially when I can just get one now. I don't think I've wanted anything more than I do the Rift. Everyday I contemplate just buying the dev kit and just buying it again when it comes out. But that's a dumb thing for my kind of income. Doable, but dumb and irresponsible.

Luckily, I make enough money to make dumb decisions like this. I was going to wait for the production version, but saw iRacing supported it and bought a dev kit. I can't wait a year for this kind of awesome :D

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I recently bought a racing wheel, and my friend just ordered a Rift... Now all I need to do is persuade myself that paying for iRacing is a good idea.

I want to buy a retail model when they come out for sure.

maxx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm having a hard time forcing myself to not buy a Rift as well. I've been thinking about it a lot the past couple of weeks. The more I think about the possibilities (watch that trailer for Routine!) the more I want one. I'm honestly more excited about the Rift than either of the new consoles.

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

I can think of a few things I want more than a low-res Oculus Rift :o

But I really really really really really really really want the final consumer version :D

MikBe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot wait for the consumer version. Having bought several of the much older VR headsets, and being disappointed by the low-res every time, I don't want to spoil my first impression of the OR by getting the dev kit... but I still want one... right now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.