Double Fine's Next Game Is Trenched

• 69 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

During an awards ceremony at GDC last night, Double Fine Productions revealed its next project, a third-person mech action game called Trenched. Like its last two games, Costume Quest and Stacking, Trenched is a downloadable-exclusive joint, but this time Microsoft (as opposed to THQ) will be handling the publishing duties.

Meaningful details are hard to come by, but a teaser trailer that accompanied the reveal makes Trenched look like more like a MechAssault brand of mech shooter, though of course, there’s a certain light-hearted vibe to the action, not to mention a sort of World War I motif going on. Check it out: 

As you’d assume, the only platform Trenched was announced for last night was Xbox Live Arcade, and considering the publisher, it’s doubtful that it’ll ever see the light of day on PSN. No pricing details have been announced yet, either. Here's a couple more screens to stare at:  

#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

During an awards ceremony at GDC last night, Double Fine Productions revealed its next project, a third-person mech action game called Trenched. Like its last two games, Costume Quest and Stacking, Trenched is a downloadable-exclusive joint, but this time Microsoft (as opposed to THQ) will be handling the publishing duties.

Meaningful details are hard to come by, but a teaser trailer that accompanied the reveal makes Trenched look like more like a MechAssault brand of mech shooter, though of course, there’s a certain light-hearted vibe to the action, not to mention a sort of World War I motif going on. Check it out: 

As you’d assume, the only platform Trenched was announced for last night was Xbox Live Arcade, and considering the publisher, it’s doubtful that it’ll ever see the light of day on PSN. No pricing details have been announced yet, either. Here's a couple more screens to stare at:  

#2 Edited by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

Looks interesting. I still have to decide whether to buy stacking.

#3 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -
@pigeoncamera: Too what?
#4 Posted by Grilledcheez (3957 posts) -

This actually looks pretty cool

#5 Posted by pigeoncamera (4 posts) -
@Dylabaloo: To getting "First!" quest.  Got it right after on Saints Row 3.
#6 Posted by 49th (2848 posts) -

Nooooo, I wanted to play this on PS3, I have not a 360.

#7 Posted by Bucketdeth (8048 posts) -

No PSN release. No buy.

#8 Posted by Rigas (90 posts) -

Double Fine doing a Mech Combat Game. Have they been reading my dream journal?!    

#9 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -
@pigeoncamera said:
" @Dylabaloo: To getting "First!" quest.  Got it right after on Saints Row 3. "
Oh right forgot about that, have to be more careful in future; at least it all worked out for you.
#10 Edited by Ghost407 (162 posts) -

This looks fucking great! 

And: @ Dylabaloo: Get Stacking, it was so good and so original!

#11 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

Double Fine, you say? I'm always looking for opportunities to give those guys my money.

#12 Posted by DougQuaid (1275 posts) -

Electronic alien bugs will never take my freedom!

#13 Posted by PaleEye (26 posts) -

I am in.. You sold me by saying it was made by, Double Fine! 

#14 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

MECHS! WALKERS! ALIENS! SOLD! 

#15 Posted by Tondo (145 posts) -

Really liking this new download games direction Double Fine has taken lately. XBLA is rocking again in 2011. Amazing amount of quality games coming !

#16 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

Looks sexygorgeous. 

Alas, my blue-hued name says it all.....

#17 Posted by dancingpolkabear (216 posts) -
@Dylabaloo said:
" Looks interesting. I still have to decide whether to buy stacking. "
I highly recomend it.  In my opinion it is way better than Costume Quest.  Great humor combined with neat gameplay that doesn't overstay its welcome. 
#18 Posted by VooDooPC (337 posts) -

I won't lie, I liked Chrome Hounds and am going to probably buy this. I'm a sucker for customization.

#19 Posted by McShank (1630 posts) -

What a stupid thing for them to do. GJ Double Fine. Lost money by making it go to Microsoft. Now I wont buy any of your games.

#20 Posted by masterherocard (419 posts) -

It seems like doublefine's downloadable game plan is working out well for them.
Costume quest and Stacking are both great games, and perfect for the medium, and this looks like it will follow suit.

#21 Posted by darkjester74 (1597 posts) -

Looks neat, will definitely give it a shot.  I love everything Double Fine makes, although I admit I am waiting for a sale on Stacking.  Looks fantastic, just too much other stuff to play right now.

#22 Posted by Shmitty (5 posts) -

If it means getting three Double Fine games in a year's span, I honestly hope they never go back to releasing non-downloadable games.

#23 Posted by Demon_Sandwich (113 posts) -

Double Fine are a bunch of dicks......In a good way. like the trailer was like 30 seconds in and i was there they had my money

#24 Posted by Xiemos2 (226 posts) -

Looks pretty damn cool but no PSN, boooo.

#25 Posted by GozerTC (458 posts) -

DAMN IT DOUBLE FINE!  Why oh why did you have to go into the Mech genre!?!  I LOVE the Mech Genre and it's YOU.  I'm trying to save money dang it!  Stop making such great games that are hard to ignore!  

#26 Edited by bybeach (4996 posts) -

I was going to say something consoling to PS3 owners, but it has gotten past all my defenses(unlike that bit  last week), that this will definetly never happen. 

Yeah, does suck unfortunatly. I would be real reluctant to sell my soul to either party unless it was a done deal proclaimedl exclusive. MS will  use this as a doggie treat to XBLA. I'm a little suprised, but assume there was good monies in it for double-fine. 

On the other hand, Maybe Double Fine will do something for the PS3..doesn't have to, though..I guess it's all business.
#27 Posted by capthavic (159 posts) -

One word: Awesome!

PS: to all the PS3 whiners, quite yer bitchin' and buy a 360 then.

#28 Posted by Kolonel_Kool (332 posts) -

First... Damnit!

#29 Posted by MisterMouse (3564 posts) -

bummer that it will only be on XBLA

#30 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2502 posts) -

Have 360s and PS3s, but still a bummer that both consoles won't get it.

Also, man, Double Fine is churning stuff out lately.

#31 Posted by allenibrahim (374 posts) -

Know what these kinds of announcements make me think? Sony needs to get more awesome indie developer exclusivity. Pixel Junk ain't enough! And I know there are others, but they never seem to market them like MS does. Biggest gaming industry bummer that affects me currently.

#32 Posted by Bongos (186 posts) -

Mobile mech tower defense. 

Sounds neat.

#33 Posted by chilipeppersman (1174 posts) -

oooo this game looks dope. too bad its only on xbla

#34 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2399 posts) -

Double fine sure is fiiiiiiiiiiiine.

#35 Posted by onarum (2300 posts) -

God damn, no PSN release, I hope it comes to PC at least at some point.

#36 Posted by Mumrik (1093 posts) -

Doublefine doing a mech game?

I think my head just exploded...

#37 Posted by Hector (3378 posts) -
Customization!? I'm down.
#38 Edited by sephirm87 (239 posts) -

For all those who are complaining about no PSN, maybe if you want day 1 PSN releases of Double Fine games, more of you should buy other Double Fine PSN games when they come out.  Also, Microsoft prolly gave them a pretty sweet ass deal to publish it.  The 360 is almost definitely the #1 sold platform of any of their other games.

#39 Posted by sephirm87 (239 posts) -
@Mumrik:  It would be really sweet if one of the customization options on a mech would be the option to pull out a giant-ass knife, a la Avatar.
#40 Posted by Ratfoot (199 posts) -

Sadly this could be the closest we get to a new Chromehounds.

#41 Posted by Arrested_Developer (735 posts) -

Yesssssssss.

#42 Posted by kalmis (1549 posts) -

I know its completely different art-style and there is customization and all but getting really big Toy Soldiers vibe of this one

#43 Posted by Hyper_Bunny_Meow (189 posts) -

Really hope this does come to PSN and I will be gutted if this is an XBLA exclusive. I've missed a lot of PSN exclusives and it always a shame when these awesome looking bite size games are platform limited. 

Needless to say I'm really looking forward to this game.
#44 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1773 posts) -

awesome ... since this is published by microsoft there is not reason not to release this on PC too, right? ... right?

#45 Posted by Devil240Z (3436 posts) -

I was hoping it would be like ring of red.

#46 Posted by Themaddormouse (2 posts) -

I wonder if this will work out. It seems pretty far out of double fine's wheelhouse.

#47 Posted by Darkjinn (9 posts) -

I really hope its for the PC i would love if we could get it through steam

#48 Posted by Sergotron (504 posts) -

I would say this trailer is WINNING!

#49 Posted by hanktherapper (384 posts) -

Seems Microsoft is publishing this, I wonder if it will be the big name on the "Summer of Arcade" specials.

#50 Posted by Kraznor (1588 posts) -

Didn't love Stacking but its still nice to see a steady stream of stuff coming out of Double Fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.