Europeans Eagerly Awaiting Trenched Will Have to Wait a While Longer

• 122 results
Posted by Alex (1969 posts) -

So, this is weird.

Not for European consumption.

Since Double Fine's mech combat tower defense game, Trenched, released to a fair bit of critical acclaim on Xbox Live Arcade last week, some European players have been baffled as to why the game hasn't seen release in their territory. Double Fine, by proxy of studio head Tim Schafer's Twitter feed, stated that they too were in the dark on the issue, and waiting for news (presumably from publisher Microsoft) just like everyone else.

That may be because the whole thing is kind of a big, honking screw-up on somebody's part. As it turns out, a Portuguese board game designer named Rui Alípio Monteiro owns the trademark on the name Trench (and presumably all derivations thereof) in pertinence to a board game he designed. The game has been around since 2007, and because of the trademark, Microsoft is evidently forbidden from releasing Trenched in several European territories.

Eurogamer contacted Monteiro, who simply confirmed the existence of the trademark and offered no additional comment, beyond a redirection to his website for info on the game. The board game in question also uses World War I as a theme, though is sadly lacking in mech suits and Rasputin-inspired, TV-obsessed bad guys.

Presumably, Double Fine could do a little patchwork to rename the game in the relevant territories, but sadly, it seems like no matter what ends up happening, some European players simply won't be able to play Trenched for at least a while longer. Perhaps they can take solace in the fact that Lucha Fury was released on XBLA in Europe last week with no hassle to speak of. And by take solace, I of course mean experience frequent bouts of unchecked, murderous rage.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (1969 posts) -

So, this is weird.

Not for European consumption.

Since Double Fine's mech combat tower defense game, Trenched, released to a fair bit of critical acclaim on Xbox Live Arcade last week, some European players have been baffled as to why the game hasn't seen release in their territory. Double Fine, by proxy of studio head Tim Schafer's Twitter feed, stated that they too were in the dark on the issue, and waiting for news (presumably from publisher Microsoft) just like everyone else.

That may be because the whole thing is kind of a big, honking screw-up on somebody's part. As it turns out, a Portuguese board game designer named Rui Alípio Monteiro owns the trademark on the name Trench (and presumably all derivations thereof) in pertinence to a board game he designed. The game has been around since 2007, and because of the trademark, Microsoft is evidently forbidden from releasing Trenched in several European territories.

Eurogamer contacted Monteiro, who simply confirmed the existence of the trademark and offered no additional comment, beyond a redirection to his website for info on the game. The board game in question also uses World War I as a theme, though is sadly lacking in mech suits and Rasputin-inspired, TV-obsessed bad guys.

Presumably, Double Fine could do a little patchwork to rename the game in the relevant territories, but sadly, it seems like no matter what ends up happening, some European players simply won't be able to play Trenched for at least a while longer. Perhaps they can take solace in the fact that Lucha Fury was released on XBLA in Europe last week with no hassle to speak of. And by take solace, I of course mean experience frequent bouts of unchecked, murderous rage.

Staff
#2 Posted by JoeyRavn (4948 posts) -

That's a pity. I really want to try the game.

#3 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -

Give me Trenched damnit :(

#4 Posted by Aishan (1009 posts) -

I wonder why this didn't come up before release, This sort of thing is one of many reasons that publishers have a Legal department, right?

#5 Posted by Meltbrain (2968 posts) -

@CrazyChris said:

Give me Trenched damnit :(

Yeah, this thing is starting to get annoying now. :(

#6 Posted by Shane (150 posts) -

Just call it Schafer game no. 7 and put it out, it'll sell.

#8 Posted by Xealot42 (273 posts) -

TR3NCH3D?

Drenched?

Trenched: Combat Evolved?

The possibilities are endless!

#9 Posted by SockLobster (456 posts) -

Bomb Portugal

#10 Posted by Pie (7053 posts) -

#11 Posted by MisterMouse (3540 posts) -

ugh that is a bummer...

#12 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

Wow, I didn't even release this was an Alex article until the last line.

#13 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -

Call it... 

- Get Trenched 
- To Trench 
- The Trenchening 
- Trenchers
- Trenched: The Video Game 

... pick one and get it over there!

#14 Posted by Mijati (881 posts) -

Surely this is something you try and check a long long time before release. Seriously, why does stuff like this still happen?

#15 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2478 posts) -

call it "Brutal Trenchend"

#16 Posted by Clubvodka (411 posts) -

I live in England and this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

#17 Posted by Jeffk38uk (715 posts) -

They better check if Drenched is trademarked as well just in case.

#18 Posted by PedanticJase (57 posts) -

man was quite looking forward to this bummed out we'll have to wait.

#19 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1590 posts) -

I have a lot of family in Portugal. I'll see what I can do.

#20 Posted by emilknievel (69 posts) -

What an asshole! 
"Hey, I have nothing to say to you right now, but hey! Check out my game at bla bla bla..."

#21 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

Just make it an abbreviation: Totally Rad and Extreme Not-mechs with Customizeable Heavy weapons, Ensuring Death.

#22 Posted by MachoFantastico (4484 posts) -

Absolute joke when you think about it, someone might be losing their job.

#23 Posted by Alphazero (1535 posts) -

Trenched is good. It does loot really well. Sorry Europe.

For the DLC (if there is any) I suggest some loot named, "The Portuguese Board Game" which keeps enemies from spawning for an indeterminate amount of time.

#24 Posted by eunao2 (116 posts) -

Being from Portugal I'll just laugh at the incompetence of some people in my country

#25 Posted by JasonLeeson (201 posts) -
@ZimboDK said:

Just make it an abbreviation: Totally Rad and Extreme Not-mechs with Customizeable Heavy weapons, Ensuring Death.

And the award goes to you, sir, for the creation of T.R.E.N.C.H.E.D.
#26 Posted by Cday (164 posts) -

How very Portugal of them.

#27 Posted by Greigo (19 posts) -

I don't get it the guys website has TRENCH as a registered trade mark not TRENCHED. I cant see trenched as a registered trade mark anywhere on there. It's not like they stole the guys logo.

Surely any game based on ww1 will have reference to trenches in it. Just do a deal with the guy and put a link to his obscure portuguese boardgame at the start of the game, I'm sure he would be glad of the publicity.

#28 Posted by SomeJerk (3138 posts) -

My rumour source from early last week told the truth, hell naw :<

#29 Posted by EJStyleS (32 posts) -

Make a US account, buy that shizzle with PayPal monies, then login with UK account. Shazam! In your face, copyright law!

#30 Posted by Maccoy (23 posts) -

trench is not trenched.....whoever gave him that right needs to take a look at how it goes with the whole EDGE thing.....
damn douche portuguese

#31 Posted by RAGEosaurus (137 posts) -

So he's the asshole stopping us from playing it....where do i send my death threats?

#32 Posted by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

Wonder if they can just call it Double Fine Presents: Trenched for the European title & get this out to everyone else.

#33 Posted by Christoffer (1756 posts) -

I'm awaiting Trenched on PC, but not eagerly, more sceptically and poutingly.

#34 Posted by RobertOrri (1120 posts) -

Oh trademark law, how I loathe you.

#35 Posted by Thundermunch (24 posts) -

@Jeffk38uk: We may be screwed on that account because of Fruity Drinks and Bottled Water!

http://www.staydrenched.co.uk/

#36 Posted by Greigo (19 posts) -

Isn't there a bottled water called drench!

#37 Posted by mracoon (4952 posts) -

Unfortunately there's some vitamin water over here in the UK called Drenched so they can't use that either.

#38 Posted by Greigo (19 posts) -

What about Stench!

#39 Posted by Nadafinga (957 posts) -

@Alphazero said:

For the DLC (if there is any) I suggest some loot named, "The Portuguese Board Game" which keeps enemies from spawning for an indeterminate amount of time.

Nice!

#40 Posted by Sloktor (50 posts) -

Is this only for Portugal? I bought it last week living in Norway, though have a friend in Sweden unable to find it on the store.

#41 Edited by ionkinetic (119 posts) -

@SpunkyHePanda said:

I have a lot of family in Portugal. I'll see what I can do.

Thank you, much appreciated.

Also, ill take solace, with the Prince on one shoulder and an artillery cannon on the other.

Just call it xXTrenched420Xx

#42 Posted by chan05 (318 posts) -

Germany is also affected. It makes me so sad since this game is exactly what i want to play!

#43 Posted by Daiphyer (1307 posts) -

Who gives a shit about a Portuguese Board game?!?!?! GIVE ME TRENCHED ALREADY GODDAMMIT!!! 

/internetrage

#44 Posted by Vetterli (108 posts) -

The Trenched.

#45 Posted by Quipido (612 posts) -
@Sloktor said:

Is this only for Portugal? I bought it last week living in Norway, though have a friend in Sweden unable to find it on the store.

Not up in Czech Republic either.
#46 Posted by Ramone (2959 posts) -

Hope they sort this out soon however I do have a name suggestion: Trenched not Trench

#47 Posted by Robs_Knob (31 posts) -

At least I now know what the problem is..... all I need to do is get ma murderin axe a ticket to porto.

#48 Edited by SolidusMaximus (36 posts) -

@Jeffk38uk: Drench is actual a brand of bottled mineral water in the UK so Drenched might also not be able to be used. Their website http://www.staydrenched.co.uk/

#49 Posted by FlipperDesert (2081 posts) -

This is absolutely the worst and makes me hate copyright law. It's not even got the same name! 

#50 Posted by InternetJames (76 posts) -

Come on, I just want to play it!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.