Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Iron Brigade

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jun 22, 2011

Described as "a game about love," Iron Brigade is a goofy alternate-historical WW1-themed third-person shooter/tower defense mash-up where up to four players take control of hulking bipedal tanks and must endure swarms of television-based robots.

Owner of Trenched Trademark in Europe Entrenches Himself for Trench Warfare Against Microsoft

• 191 results
    _Nuno_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#151  Edited By _Nuno_

Go Rui! Take Microsoft for everything they've got!

CornishRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#152  Edited By CornishRocker

I really want to play this game. This Portugese guy is insufferable.

chewii101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#153  Edited By chewii101

Why not just change the name for the EU market? 

retsub101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#154  Edited By retsub101

Last time I checked "Trench" is not the same word as "Trenched", why is this an issue!?

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#155  Edited By Raven10

@example1013 - I don't think English has that word either. The word would be entrenched. I've never heard someone use the term Trenched, although I guess it is possible.

Myre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#156  Edited By Myre

They should just rename it "Screw Rui Alípio Monteiro" and release it already

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
    deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

i told you guys that this guy was a douchebag........told you, but you didnt believe me

TehJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#158  Edited By TehJames
    @Jethuty said:

i told you guys that this guy was a douchebag........told you, but you didnt believe me

How is he a douche? it's his property.
    flanker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By flanker22

so unfortunate 

ms seems a lil incompetent to not pick up on this trademark but also seems a bit ridiculous that they could trademark not only the word trench but every single deviation of the word. trecher, treched, trenching.  

i hightly doubt that the holders of the trademark were even making a game even remotely close to trenched hell they probably werent even making one, and honestly trenched would most likely have helped 'trench' simply because trenched is such a good game that anything associated would naturally be thought of as good even if they arent officially.  

anyways trademark laws are a complete joke and dont follow things like common sense.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
    deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TehJames said:

@Jethuty said:

How is he a douche? it's his property.

in the most dickish way possible

squidracerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#161  Edited By squidracerx

call the game "Fuck Rui Alípio Monteiro 2"

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#162  Edited By ptys

Just change the name, there is enough press out there now for people to understand what the game is. Should have been released ages ago!

Etaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#163  Edited By Etaber

Right now there's a lawyer strung up in Tim Schafer's basement who wishes he spent a little more time at www.ObscureEuropeanCopyrights.com.

kreeztoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By kreeztoff

The game's not called "Trench", it's "TrenchED". It's just like what'shisface with the "Edge" trademark, constantly claiming to have product in the works to make good on his "Edge" trademark, all the while hurling lawsuits at anyone who dares include the word "Edge" in their own product. It's baffling that the legal world tolerates this kind of nonsense.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Damian

By some of the awful logic in this thread, I should be allowed to make a game called "Mass Effected" or "Bioshocked" and get away with it. Or then NOT get away with it, and somehow make their respective copyright holders look bad for... being the rightful owners (?).

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Dixavd

Just change the name already - it isn't hard, heck not only does it happen all the time but it usually increases sales - they can market it as them beign the good guys and make an entire PR scheme around the idea of the new name. 
    Even if they take this guy on and win the law suit and get to keep the name they lose out on loads of sales from people who have either forgottont he buzz about the game or are so sick of waiting they pirate it or just watch other LP's or something (piracy isn't right but people willing to pirate a game will take any reason to try and legitimize their view and make them feel liek they do nothing wrong).

And people who are saying there is a huge difference between "trench" and "trenched" you aren't helping.  It is like saying someone could release a game called B4ttlefield or Pokemons or Portaled.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@august said:

Trenched: Reckoning.

Retrenched.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#168  Edited By Hailinel

@AnotherSomebody said:

The game's not called "Trench", it's "TrenchED". It's just like what'shisface with the "Edge" trademark, constantly claiming to have product in the works to make good on his "Edge" trademark, all the while hurling lawsuits at anyone who dares include the word "Edge" in their own product. It's baffling that the legal world tolerates this kind of nonsense.

In Europe, the trademark owned by the creator of the board game Trench extends to variations of the word, including Trenched.

SpliTTMark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By SpliTTMark

its only a matter of time until you cant say the word "THE", someone in south Florida owns it and made it only usable if he deems it acceptable

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By LiquidPrince

Smirk of Ice... What?

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

@Aishan said:

@wolf_blitzer85: He's not being "a dick." he's protecting his trademark.

Right I understand that part. The part where he then announces his own game with a similar name is kinda dickish though.

How is it dickish? He didn't register the title so that he can smile at it... He registered it so he can use it.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Vodun

@CosmicQueso said:

@wolf_blitzer85: Yeah, wanting to protect an IP he's created and ensure he can continue making a living through it. Yeah, wow, what a jerk.

The only result of his game being confused with Trenched would've been more sales for him. This is just a complete dick move from someone who has realized their game is too niche and won't sell even if it ever gets into production.

morden2261

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By morden2261

Pay the man so I can play this damn game!!!

sl1ppyfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By sl1ppyfist

So can I trademark "The" and be an international penis? That would definitely be an easier and more satisfying job than what I'm doing now (Dish Network Installer) lol.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#174  Edited By yukoasho
    @Morden2261 said:

Fuck that.  I say they just retitle the game and let him fuck off like Id did with the Quake Zero site squatter.
    woojames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By woojames

I live outside Europe and I am so buying Trenched now before this copyright trolling bullshxt gets any worse!

DJ_EuroGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By DJ_EuroGhost

@mnzy: You are right sir, I missed that part when I skimmed over the article. The rest of the article only said European or Europe. My bad xD

kimvidard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By kimvidard

@Aishan: no, he is being a dick.

Edited for over reaction. No need for threat messages thank you.

Jwkokosmakroon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Jwkokosmakroon
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:

@Aishan said:

@wolf_blitzer85: He's not being "a dick." he's protecting his trademark.

Right I understand that part. The part where he then announces his own game with a similar name is kinda dickish though.

Why? He has a boardgame wich he eventually wants to port to a pc or whatever console... 
    Happened with Europa Universalis.
    Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#179  Edited By Aishan
    @kimvidard: Talk about an over-reaction. He's not saying he owns the word wholesale, he has the trademark to use it for board and electronic games.
    kobudo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By kobudo
    Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Damian
    @kimvidard: Were you as unreasonably/unbelievably upset when it was going to be Microsoft who copyrighted the word Trench/ed? Or is your misdirected anger reserved solely for board game makers hailing from countries who you wrongly said weren't involved in WW1?

Portugal hesitated to join and declared neutrality because the English were pulling the strings, and they didn't think much of the Portuguese army (and didn't want them making demands for being an official ally in the war). In 1916, however, at the behest of both Great Britain and France (due to major loses) Portugal seized a bunch of German merchant vessels to help their allies and their citizens (meaning your family and countrymen). Germany declared war on Portugal. Portugal returned the favour.
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By warxsnake

just play mechwarrior mercenaries

Aas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Aas

New name contest! Let's turn this shit upside down!

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By superfriend

You shouldn´t be able to fucking trademark a single WORD, regardless of what you´ve been doing under your portugese rock. So you´ve made a board game? Great, go trademark THAT and not the single word you´ve chosen for its TITLE. God, the stupidity knows no bounds. Just like the edge guy, he shouldn´t have any right to claim a commonly used term as a trademark. What´s next? Ford owning the rights to the word "Car" or "Automobile"? Fuck everybody involved in this.

Oh and my money goes to Ms Splosion Man tomorrow, those guys can go to court all they want.

SunkenState

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By SunkenState

Urrgh, me don't understand trademark laws, me am want vidyo game! Portuguese man bad, Microsoft and Double Fine good! Me am so stupid!

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
    deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's amazing that the crack legal team at Microsoft didn't fucking catch this.

ultimathule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By ultimathule
    @kimvidard said:

@Aishan: no, he is being a dick.

He trademarked the word Trench in the first place... in Europe! In Portugal even, which was NOT part of the first WW. As a French guy, I find this whole fight over the ownership of the word Trench nauseating. Damn it, people in my family died in those f*ing trenches, how can they even think of saying this word in "theirs". It angers me as much as if some moron suddenly trademarked the words "Gas Chamber".

Please, shut the fuck up. You have no idea what you are talking about.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#188  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@YukoAsho said:

@Morden2261 said:

Fuck that. I say they just retitle the game and let him fuck off like Id did with the Quake Zero site squatter.

He isn't a squatter, he has a real product and he does have a real argument. I'm sure if he tried to make a board game called "Gear Wars", Microsoft would have just as much an issue with that.

ChillyUK7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By ChillyUK7

Seems like the guy is just trying to protect something he's passionat about, put effort into, for all we know he ploughed his life savings into making this a reality, do you really think Microsoft wouldn't destroy a company with the name Microsofted? Ok dumb name but you get the idea.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Azteck
    @ChillyUK7 said:

Seems like the guy is just trying to protect something he's passionat about, put effort into, for all we know he ploughed his life savings into making this a reality, do you really think Microsoft wouldn't destroy a company with the name Microsofted? Ok dumb name but you get the idea.
    But it isn't really the same, though. Trench, or to a certain extent, "trenched" is an actual word in the English dictionary. Microsoft is not. It sort of feels like someone trademarking the word "Love" so no other musicians could name their album/song Love. Completely ridiculous.
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By BBQBram

@Branthog said:

This seems to be a problem unique to gaming. You can't copyright a title, which is why you have songs, albums, books, and movies with the same names. However, you can certainly trademark something - and while you don't seem to ever see authors trademark the title of their books, companies do trademark game titles (with the hope that it'll be successful enough to turn into a franchise built around that trademark). Very frustrating and unfortunate. Copyright law continues to suck. Surprise.

Absolutely ridiculous. BRB, trademarking the name John for my novel. Don't steal it!

Lucidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Lucidlife

They guy have every right to defend what he believes is his. Let the best man/company win. Pretty simple concept really,

MEZwaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By MEZwaan

I'm amazed Microsoft never bothered to check if the name was trademarked. Americans love to trademark and copyright things (see Apple vs Samsung, Apple vs HTC, Microsoft vs HTC, the list goes on for quite a while). On the other hand Disney never bothered to check if people in France like to drink wine and didn't serve any in their restaurants (oops). Makes you wonder why it took Eurodisney  four years to get out of debt... 
    I can only hope that Microsoft and Double Fine are currently busy renaming the game and making sure it get's available to users in Europe as soon as possible. I was very annoyed when the game wasn't available the 22nd and even more annoyed when it took both Microsoft and Double Fine two weeks to give a first statement (not actually stating what the problem was). It took me another week to find out that it was a copyright matter. 

redlitez76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#194  Edited By redlitez76

it may seem shitty but the law is the law. Always check and double check before sending a product out the door.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#195  Edited By Red12b

Super Mech Fighting Television Battlefield 120% 

YES!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.