Please don't buy this game

• 141 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by OsheaDiesStupid (165 posts) -

Tower defense games have become a plague of modern gaming. The variations Trenched brings to the genre are pathetic to say the least. I played it for a few minutes and realized that this is the problem:people keep buying this garbage, so they keep making more. XBox live, Steam  and the Iphone App Store are overflowed with tower defense shit. They'll say that this one is special cuz it has the action component. Fuck that! That South Park tower defense did that and better. Encourage Double Fine to stop making shit and work on more original games like Stacking or Brutal Legend. 

#2 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@OsheaDiesStupid said:

Tower defense games have become a plague of modern gaming. The variations Trenched brings to the genre are pathetic to say the least. I played it for a few minutes and realized that this is the problem:people keep buying this garbage, so they keep making more. XBox live, Steam  and the Iphone App Store are overflowed with tower defense shit. They'll say that this one is special cuz it has the action component. Fuck that! That South Park tower defense did that and better. Encourage Double Fine to stop making shit and working on more original games like Stacking or Brutal Legend. 

Im gonna go pick it up now! Just because you do not like tower defense games does not mean everyone doesnt. This was is a unique twist on the idea 
#3 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@OsheaDiesStupid said:
Tower defense games have become a plague of modern gaming. The variations Trenched brings to the genre are pathetic to say the least. I played it for a few minutes and realized that this is the problem:people keep buying this garbage, so they keep making more. XBox live, Steam and the Iphone App Store are overflowed with tower defense shit. They'll say that this one is special cuz it has the action component. Fuck that! That South Park tower defense did that and better. Encourage Double Fine to stop making shit and working on more original games like Stacking or Brutal Legend.
Im gonna go pick it up now!

Me too! Hell, I'm gonna pick up 2 copies!

#4 Posted by Chris2KLee (2337 posts) -

TOO LATE.

#5 Posted by asian_pride (1654 posts) -
@ZimboDK said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@OsheaDiesStupid said:
Tower defense games have become a plague of modern gaming. The variations Trenched brings to the genre are pathetic to say the least. I played it for a few minutes and realized that this is the problem:people keep buying this garbage, so they keep making more. XBox live, Steam and the Iphone App Store are overflowed with tower defense shit. They'll say that this one is special cuz it has the action component. Fuck that! That South Park tower defense did that and better. Encourage Double Fine to stop making shit and working on more original games like Stacking or Brutal Legend.

Make it 3 copies! All hail Double Fine!
#6 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1180 posts) -

Souldnt you play it for longer than a "few minutes" before saying the game is shit?  Meh, either way you can relax, I dont like tower defense games in general but I think other may disagree.

#7 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Stop telling people what to buy!

#8 Posted by pakattak (203 posts) -

I'll buy three! And I don't even have an X-Box!

#9 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11903 posts) -

Too late. Already bought it. It's pretty good. It's like a shooter and a Tower Defense game in one!

#10 Posted by StealthRaptor (530 posts) -

Put me down for two copies.

#11 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@OsheaDiesStupid said:
Tower defense games have become a plague of modern gaming. The variations Trenched brings to the genre are pathetic to say the least. I played it for a few minutes and realized that this is the problem:people keep buying this garbage, so they keep making more. XBox live, Steam  and the Iphone App Store are overflowed with tower defense shit. They'll say that this one is special cuz it has the action component. Fuck that! That South Park tower defense did that and better. Encourage Double Fine to stop making shit and work on more original games like Stacking or Brutal Legend. 
Being serious. Just because you do not like this kind of game does not mean everyone does. I could say the same about stacking. I had no intrest in that game at all. 
#12 Posted by Zippedbinders (1013 posts) -

This reeks of troll posting. 

Whatever, I was going to buy this anyway. I'll probably buy any game with the 2 Headed Baby logo on it.

#13 Edited by Iron_Past (172 posts) -

Lets stop buying shooters while we're at it! And puzzle games! And action games! And platformers! All games are part of a genre, and all genres have games that suck. Trenched is not one of them.

#14 Posted by bigsmoke77 (790 posts) -

I wasn't going to buy it................................I will now after this dumb thread

#15 Posted by Yummylee (22039 posts) -

Fuck it, I'll just mail every cent I have to Double Fine.

#16 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -
@Chris2KLee said:

TOO LATE.

#17 Posted by Sogeman (872 posts) -
@OsheaDiesStupid said:
You mean the South Park Tower Defense game that sucked ass? Did I miss a good one?
#18 Posted by Nodderly (405 posts) -

*FPS games have become a plague of modern gaming, so don't buy CoD! 
*RPG games have become a plague of modern gaming, so don't buy Skyrim! 
*3rd-person action games have become a plague of modern gaming, so don't buy God of War! 

Do you see why this argument isn't very good? They're called genres, and it's okay to buy a game that comes from a genre you enjoy. Trenched has enough variation from a bog-standard tower defense game to make it engaging for me and probably for many other people. If you don't enjoy tower defense variants, that's fine! There are tons of other games for you to play. 

In addition, Trenched isn't the only thing that Double Fine is working on. They have multiple projects, some of which will probably be more to your liking. Instead of crapping on their current release for being a genre you don't prefer, just wait until their next release and enjoy that. I think one of the quirks of Double Fine that keeps fans coming back is that they do what they like. They liked this tower defense game. Even if it isn't your flavor, shouldn't you be able to accept that a studio you like is doing the projects they want to do?

#19 Posted by Evilsbane (4644 posts) -

@OsheaDiesStupid said:

I played it for a few minutes

You hear that? Its your accountability floating out the window.

#20 Edited by Getz (3093 posts) -

So you're saying that we shouldn't buy an extrapolation of an existing genre, one that might push the genre forward a little bit and breathe new life in to it, because it's inspiration is over-saturated? I don't buy those mediocre TD games, but I did buy this because it actually looks good. See, I buy games that are good, regardless of what genre they're in or what some fool on the internet told me to do.

This idea of TD's being a "plague on modern gaming" reminds me of the hatred for the FPS genre. It's an easy type of game to make; that's why there are so many of them. It's not because they're selling like hot cakes. There's always going to be shitty games, and there's always going to be shitty knock-offs of better games. Trying to blame that on trends is silly.

#21 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

Fuck it, I'll just mail every cent I have to Double Fine.

In pennies?

And too bad, I not only have Brutal Legend and Psychonauts, but I'll be getting this, too.

#22 Posted by rjayb89 (7726 posts) -

Fuck that, I love orange juice.

#23 Posted by ProfessorEss (7444 posts) -

I've only ever bought two tower defense games in my life, PixelJunk Monsters and South Park Tower Defense Go. 

If you've bought and played more than two then you're the problem, not me. I'm buying Trenched.

#24 Posted by CaptRoFL (77 posts) -

I CAN'T BUY IT.
Therefore I have to agree with you, right?

#25 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

It looks lame and i wasn't going to anyway, so... I won't buy it! :)

#26 Posted by laserbolts (5331 posts) -
This thread is stupid. I wasn't even going to buy this but since your post was so dumb I am now getting it.
#27 Posted by theoldhouse (439 posts) -
@ZimboDK: I bought it for all of my 13 kids!  

and my 13 ex wives!
#28 Posted by chrissedoff (2152 posts) -
@OsheaDiesStupid: the south park game sucked and so does south park the show. i'm going to go buy trenched because i know it'll piss off a south park liker.
#29 Posted by rentfn (1282 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

not to support this guy but isn't that a part of what this website is for?? To inform the consumer??

#30 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -

@OsheaDiesStupid:

I don't tend to like tower defense games either so... I don't tend to buy tower defense games.

I don't think that they are necessarily bad though. I love Plants vs Zombies.

#31 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Im waiting for the OP to come back and defend his statement. Right now all it seems is that he just does not like tower defense. 

#32 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5145 posts) -

I totally agree with him save the money for something more original like another first person shooter.

#33 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@rentfn said:

@Cloudenvy said:

not to support this guy but isn't that a part of what this website is for?? To inform the consumer??

It is, but in an intelligent way! and not going "please don't buy this because I think the genre is shit!"

#34 Posted by theguy (796 posts) -

Hey guys? I don't like strategy games.... Can everyone stop buying them please? /sarcasm

#35 Posted by DeeGee (2139 posts) -

I'll buy two copies now, just because of you =)

#36 Posted by Sabata (825 posts) -

OP is actually a Double Fine employee using reverse psychology to get ya'll to buy their game. Genius...

#37 Posted by bybeach (4893 posts) -

That arguement seems shallow in intent, and I am getting tired seeing members pose bullshit as thread material on this site. It seems a successful attempt at 'I will now waste and cheapen. But I will address this and say I have heard some negativity towards Tower defense, though I myself have yet to play this genre. Trenched, more a hybrid, looks like the perfect approach for my own likings and predjudices. Thats all.

#38 Posted by pweidman (2342 posts) -

@Sabata said:

OP is actually a Double Fine employee using reverse psychology to get ya'll to buy their game. Genius...

Beat me to it. LOL.

#39 Posted by Butler (389 posts) -

I don't normally like tower defense games, they give me anxiety and when I inevitably fail them I beat myself up. Sometimes literally, sometimes figuratively. But playing the demo I actually really enjoyed this game. I have yet to see how it plays with a full party but during my little playthrough I thought to myself how much fun it would be to grab 3 other friends and play this game.

I was also hesitant on buying this game because it seemed like the GB crew was pimping their new found game designer friends, but to their credit it is a fun game.

#40 Posted by Marcsman (3218 posts) -

Your glowing endorsement won me over. 
I'm getting it day 1.
#41 Posted by BonOrbitz (2212 posts) -

@OsheaDiesStupid: What is wrong with you? Have you played Trenched for more than a few minutes to say that it's shit? I played (and enjoyed) Brutal Legend and it was NOT original, but another third person action/God of War clone. Shit, don't you think buying this game will help Double Fine to make more games?

I'm tired of tower defense games, but I'm buying this one because it feels different and I want to support Double Fine with my wallet.

#42 Posted by fox01313 (5079 posts) -

Well I think the best thing to do for everyone on the site that's interested in the game is to grab the demo, try it out & make up their own minds. I'm just glad to see Double Fine putting out more games than being in development hell on just one game.

#43 Posted by Loose (419 posts) -
@OsheaDiesStupid: Aren't you the same guy who said 3D platformers have no place in 2011? I'm not sure if you're a troll or just plain stupid.
#44 Posted by papercut (3502 posts) -

#45 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@Evilsbane said:

@OsheaDiesStupid said:

I played it for a few minutes

You hear that? Its your accountability floating out the window.

Ha. Agreed. I already bought the game and I fucking love it. I never play TD games, not a huge fan of them but this game is really enjoyable.

#46 Posted by Wildfire570 (719 posts) -
@asian_pride said:
@ZimboDK said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@OsheaDiesStupid said:

Make it 3 copies! All hail Double Fine!
I'll add another one to make four copies!!!
#47 Posted by ApolloBob (570 posts) -

Hey guess what - there is no such thing as a "plague of modern gaming".

#48 Posted by supermike6 (3586 posts) -

You can't tell me what to do! I WILL DESTROY YOU!!

#49 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4627 posts) -

This didn't go over how you thought it would, did it? Nope.

#50 Posted by Malphye (413 posts) -

On the fence. He did say not to buy it politely.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.