This is what all the fuss is about

#1 Edited by TyrellOCP (334 posts) -
#2 Posted by EuanDewar (4873 posts) -

They have a quote by Sun Tzu on their homepage so you know they mean serious shit.

#3 Posted by TyrellOCP (334 posts) -
@EuanDewar: This isn't one of your regular board games like Monopoly or Candy Land, this is art.
#4 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I say they duel like gentlemen.

#5 Posted by EuanDewar (4873 posts) -

@mijetman said:

@EuanDewar: This isn't one of your regular board games like Monopoly or Candy Land, this is art.

Just had to google Candy Land, had no idea what you were on about. As far I can tell its just a board game version of that one Katy Perry video.

SO IM IN.

#6 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

@mijetman said:

Just had to google Candy Land, had no idea what you were on about. As far I can tell its just a board game version of that one Katy Perry video.

SO IM IN.

What? That is like someone not knowing checkers.

#7 Edited by Aishan (1014 posts) -

The quality of the board game makes no difference. He went through all the proper legal channels to secure his trademark. What he wants to do with it is entirely up to him. 

I know you're looking for someone to blame and all, and it seems like an easy target, but this rests squarely in the hands on Microsoft who completely failed in their duty as publisher to make sure they have the legal right to use their name well before it was due to come out.

#8 Posted by EuanDewar (4873 posts) -

@Dany: Well, its not. I know what Checkers is and I didn't know what this Powerpuff Girls looking shit was.

And for the record, I loved the Powerpuff Girls.

#9 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

Trenched WISHES it could be this HILARIOUS!

#10 Posted by dudeglove (7718 posts) -

If it ain't chess, it ain't worth shit.

#11 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

Someone just shoot the dude.

#12 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

The drama around this whole debacle keeps me awake at night.

#13 Posted by TyrellOCP (334 posts) -
@Aishan said:
The quality of the board game makes no difference. He went through all the proper legal channels to secure his trademark. What he wants to do with it is entirely up to him.  I know you're looking for someone to blame and all, and it seems like an easy target, but this rests squarely in the hands on Microsoft who completely failed in their duty as publisher to make sure they have the legal right to use their name well before it was due to come out.
No you're spoiling our fun with your "proper legal channels" and your "squarely in the hands of Microsoft". God! Don't be such a downer.

I'm just joshing. I found the video and thought I'd share it with the community.  
Microsoft should have sorted this out before they tried putting the game out, but we all make mistakes.
Like everyone else I'm hoping this is resolved quickly so us Europeans can Trench it up ASAP.
#14 Edited by TyrellOCP (334 posts) -
@Claude said:

I say they duel like gentlemen.

It's the only way this can be solved. 
Fly Brad Muir out to Portugal and end this once and for all.
#15 Posted by RTSlord (1200 posts) -
@EuanDewar said:

@mijetman said:

SO IM IN.

pardon my french, BUT HOW THE FUCK DID YOU NOT KNOW WHAT THE HELL CANDYLAND IS??? UNDER WHAT ROCK HAVE YOU BEEN LIVING??????? in all seriousness, a) its pretty crazy (but ok) that you dont know what candy land is and b) that game doesnt look fun at all, much less the fact that if you looked at it youd have no idea that had anything to do with WW1
#16 Posted by Turambar (6709 posts) -
@Aishan said:
The quality of the board game makes no difference. He went through all the proper legal channels to secure his trademark. What he wants to do with it is entirely up to him.  I know you're looking for someone to blame and all, and it seems like an easy target, but this rests squarely in the hands on Microsoft who completely failed in their duty as publisher to make sure they have the legal right to use their name well before it was due to come out.
#17 Posted by _Horde (839 posts) -

Are sound effects included in this game?

#18 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -

Wooooowww! Cool board game! 

Hmm, I'm bored. I think I'll go look at the "buy Trenched" button and continue to not buy it. Or maybe buy it and not play it. Or maybe buy it and play it. 
The options are limitless. 

Oh, hi, guys! I didn't see you there. What's going on? Why aren't you here talking about a board game and not playing that new Doublefine downloadable game "Trenched"? 
It's a game about love, don't you know.

#19 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Aishan said:
That shouldn't matter, you should not under any circumstances be able to trademark a word like Trench. It's stupid that you can, just like it's stupid that Edge is trademarked. What I'm mad about is the fact that the word Trench and Trenched should NOT be able to be trademarked. The guy didn't fucking create trenches. Nor did the guy who trademarked Edge create edges.
#20 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -
@CL60 said:
@Aishan said:
That shouldn't matter, you should not under any circumstances be able to trademark a word like Trench. It's stupid that you can, just like it's stupid that Edge is trademarked. What I'm mad about is the fact that the word Trench and Trenched should NOT be able to be trademarked. The guy didn't fucking create trenches. Nor did the guy who trademarked Edge create edges.
This is exactly how I feel, but you put it far more eloquently than I could at this point. Bravo good sir.
#21 Posted by Aishan (1014 posts) -
@CL60 said:
@Aishan said:
Companies use "common" words for trademarks all the time. Hell, Microsoft themselves do it! What's so special about the word "trench" that it shouldn't apply, other than the fact that it means you don't get your toy?
#22 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Aishan said:
@CL60 said:
@Aishan said:
Companies use "common" words for trademarks all the time. Hell, Microsoft themselves do it! What's so special about the word "trench" that it shouldn't apply, other than the fact that it means you don't get your toy?
I'm Canadian none of this applies to me. And who cares if other companies do it? They shouldn't be able to do it either. The fact still remains that you shouldn't be able to, and it's complete bull that you can. A trademark should be for something you actually created, not a word you found.
#23 Posted by cinemandrew (711 posts) -

@CL60: From what I understand, the people who make this board game are claiming that they were planning on making a video game based on it. So, it would be kinda like Microsoft publishing a first person shooter called The Resistance, or someone starting a new computer software/hardware company called "Apples". They have a right to protect their product.

Also, Tim Langdell (the guy who trademarked Edge), was a complete fraud who used his trademark for nothing more than to bully companies into paying him off to avoid legal action. He had no products, or brand to protect anymore, he was just being greedy and selfish.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.