Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Iron Brigade

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jun 22, 2011

Described as "a game about love," Iron Brigade is a goofy alternate-historical WW1-themed third-person shooter/tower defense mash-up where up to four players take control of hulking bipedal tanks and must endure swarms of television-based robots.

Trenched first impressions!

Avatar image for beautifulspacecowboy
    BeautifulSpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I was fortunate enough to win a download code for Trenched on Friday, so I have spent a few days with the game. I am currently on the third section of the campaign, and I have had a great time. You can choose between four different characters as the Mobile Trench pilot and will have the materials for a fairly basic Trench to start with. As missions are completed, you gain money and loot to further enhance your Trench and your marine. While improving your mech is great and all, it is important to have the most up to date hats and outfits for your marine. If you don't, then people will laugh at you or I at least assume that will happen because I have remained on the cutting edge of hat technology. The hats will also change the type of salute you do, which is also incredibly important when interacting with fellow trenchers.

Before deploying for a mission, you will be shown recommended loud outs for your mech, such as long-range weapons, explosive weapons, repair units, etc. It is usually a good idea to follow these, especially if you are playing alone. For the most part, I have not found any games because not many people have it, but when I did get a game with a couple of the DF guys, it was a blast. With two or more people, you have a lot more options when it comes to what you are bringing to the battlefield. Each person can focus on specific tasks like laying down emplacements (turrets, mine layers, mortar strikes, etc) or being a power house with giant cannons for arms. There are different chassis you choose from that will better fit the type of load out you want, such as engineer ones with more emplacement slots but less weapons, assault with a good mix of weapon and enhancement slots, or heavy chassis with a lot of weapon but few emplacement slots. Each side of the Trench has between 0-3 slots for weapons (machine guns, shotguns, sniper rifles, grenade launchers, cannons, and radar dishes), and each weapon requires a certain number of open slots to equip. The emplacements are mapped to the d-pad, and each chassis determines what type will go where. With all of these options, I find myself wanting a way to save different load outs that I could quickly choose from, but as you become familiar with your weapons, emplacements, and chassis, changing them is not a huge deal between missions.

During missions, you will collect loot (ranging in rarity), such as weapons, chassis, and paint jobs. You will also be rewarded money and experience. Experience increases your level, which dictates what you can equip on yourself and your Trench. Money lets you buy weapons, chassis, emplacements, hats, and outfits.

As I mentioned earlier, I have played single player for the most part, but this game truly shines with multiple people (up to 4 to be exact). Once you play with someone they are in your regiment until they are pushed off the list as you play with different people. The benefit of a regiment is that each person is contributing towards regiment challenges, such as machine gun kills, scrap collected, etc. When a level is reached, a bonus is given, such as money, weapons, emplacements, hats and outfits. There are also challenges you are workings towards without the help of your regiment, which are similar to but different than the regiments challenges.

I am having a great time with the game, and I can't wait for more people to have the game. Hopefully we can set up a Giant Bomb night. If you have any questions before the games comes out, I will be more than happy to try and answer them after I get off work.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By DeeGee

I was totally onboard with this game before I saw the enemies were generic glowing aliens/bugs. Really took a lot of wind out my sails

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By Chris2KLee

Damn! Wish I had won a code, I am dying to play this game! Between this and the Joystiq review, the game is looking pretty good and keys into a lot of my favorite gaming needs. Can't wait till the 22nd.

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By theoldhouse

I am definitely picking this one up. Presuming it costs 1200 right? Gonna have to get some more points =(

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

HYPE!

Reluctant_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Reluctant_Hero

Excellent impressions. Looking forward to buying this on Wednesday morning!

Mr_Spinnington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mr_Spinnington

the last third of the game was really well balanced, i think. it shines over the second section which has a lot of growing pains, and has some gorgeous art direction going on

finally an endgame setting that isn't borderline apocalyptic

BeautifulSpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saw that it will be this week's TNT, so that is awesome.

m1m1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By m1m1c

Thanks for your first impressions, I look forward to getting this game and am glad to be supporting the guys over at Double Fine.

I really need to get on the GBTNT friend list for this one...

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By stackboy

Looks great! Can't wait to play it in a day or 2.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Jackel2072

good impressions and im really looking forward to this. but why the hell is this game coming out on a Wednesday? just odd is all.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Barrock

As soon as they put it up I'm buying it.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Enigma777

I wanna but the game just so I can salute random people's faces.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By project343
    @DeeGee said:

I was totally onboard with this game before I saw the enemies were generic glowing aliens/bugs. Really took a lot of wind out my sails

Wait, wait, wait. 

You were onboard with steampunk mechs, but not crazy neon television monster bug things?
    Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Zippedbinders
    @Jackel2072 said:

good impressions and im really looking forward to this. but why the hell is this game coming out on a Wednesday? just odd is all.

Because its a XBLA game? Those usually come out on Wednesdays. 

I don't have a gold account, but I'm tempted to get at least a month of it to play this game's multiplayer.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @project343 said:
    @DeeGee said:

Wait, wait, wait.  You were onboard with steampunk mechs, but not crazy neon television monster bug things?
    Somthing here is not right....
    Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jackel2072

@project343 said:

@DeeGee said:

Wait, wait, wait. You were onboard with steampunk mechs, but not crazy neon television monster bug things?

im kind of with DeeGee on this one. they kind of look boring in there design. the idea is sound and fun, but they kind of look like your stereotypical glowing aliens. They really remind me of the aliens from Crysis 2. However im willing to set aside the generic enemies for what looks like rock solid gameplay! and hats!

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RobotHamster

Can't wait to play it,  I don't have a gold account though so I won't be able to join TNT.   

I will be getting it in September when gears comes out so hopefully people will still be playing it then which I'm sure there will be.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By DeeGee

@project343 said:

Wait, wait, wait. You were onboard with steampunk mechs, but not crazy neon television monster bug things?

Yep. If only they looked ANYTHING like television monster bugs in the slightest.

smiddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By smiddy

I haven't been this excited about a game in a long time, and that kind of confuses me when I think about it. But there's something about mechs and the customisation of it all that has me really looking forward to playing it. I guess it's been too long since the last time I got to play around with a giant walking fortress.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By emem

I don't get Trenched at all, but I hope they'll sell some units and use the money they earn for a Psychonauts sequel.

Cerogravian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Cerogravian

I'll be joining you shortly, as soon as the download is done.

...In the meantime I'll just bask in the achievement of being featured on the cover of MAN GRIT monthly.

BeautifulSpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cerogravian

I'll be joining you shortly, as soon as the download is done.

...In the meantime I'll just bask in the achievement of being featured on the cover of MAN GRIT monthly.

Very nice! I will be on later tonight, so I hope to see you. I am also zombienutz on XBL.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.