Trenched "Volcano" Strategies...

#1 Posted by Phoenix654 (269 posts) -

Ok, love the game Trenched, sorry to hear our European friends won't be playing it for a while yet, but I need some help with the second to last level. No mater what strategy I try, I cannot seem to get a gold on it. It's beginning to drive me mad. I'm curious if anyone has a particular loadout or strategy that worked for them. Failing that, is there anyone on XBL who can help me get it done? I have time this Sunday afternoon to devote to this and I'd like to get the game S-Ranked soon. Please, help...

#2 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

This is by far the most difficult level to get gold on, at least when I'm playing with randoms online. When I have gotten gold it's usually with lots of flak turrets surround the defense point to take care of aerials and people spreading out to take out tubes before they can get into the point. It often helps to have someone with mines to weaken tubes along the paths. A couple of sniper rifles on the battlefield are handy for taking out the snipers and volt droppers. When I've had good people with varied loadouts I've done quite well with a couple of Mr. Pancakes, but that only works if you've also got snipers and people cleaning stuff up.

There are a few things that will usually snatch the gold away in one wave. Often I'll turn around and see three trenches right behind me, meanwhile the other side of the map is unguarded and tubes are pouring in. I also see people put disruptors up too close to where the tubes spawn and they get easily destroyed by burst transmitters quickly.

#3 Posted by iAmJohn (6135 posts) -

Use more skill.

#4 Posted by DudeSupreme (214 posts) -

I have not been able to get gold solo, but have done so with others. Most important tip is to bring some explosives (artillery or mortar turrets) and have someone on the lookout for Jacobs and take them out ASAP. Early on throw down plenty of flak and machine gun turrets to make the aerials trivial, and more importantly, to destroy the Volt Droppers quickly. The Volt Droppers can put some serious hurt on Frank if they linger around too long costing you that gold medal. Also make sure to have someone near the valley at the back-right of your base. Enemies dont appear there often (im too lazy to see what waves exactly), but when they do its usually an unexpected surprise too see a horde of shielded enemies pounding at your base. Having one or two Dampening turrets down in that valley help too as you'll have plenty of time to rain artillery down on them if you do so.

So to paraphrase:

Bring explosives for the shielding Jacobs and make them the priority.

Bring Flak/Machine guns for Aerials and Volt Droppers

Post plenty of Dampening turrets at the edges of bases and one or two in the back right valley and upper left valley.

Expect plenty of Blitzers and Snipers to damage you, if you bring an Engineering chassis you may want a Repair Crane.

#5 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -

Was only able to gold it solo. Used massive sniper turrets and only massive sniper turrets throughout the map. Also had three of the best machine guns and sprint++ legs. Ended with something like 94%. So pick whatever body lets you do that, collect all the scrap you can manually, pick good placements, and shoot a lot.

#6 Posted by tkalsey (159 posts) -

I used six machine guns and only set flak turrets 

#7 Posted by Phoenix654 (269 posts) -

@Slaker117 said:

Was only able to gold it solo. Used massive sniper turrets and only massive sniper turrets throughout the map. Also had three of the best machine guns and sprint++ legs. Ended with something like 94%. So pick whatever body lets you do that, collect all the scrap you can manually, pick good placements, and shoot a lot.

Do you know which core you were using? You said three of the best machine guns so I assume it's not the Selker...

#8 Posted by Phoenix654 (269 posts) -

@Phoenix654 said:

@Slaker117 said:

Do you know which core you were using? You said three of the best machine guns so I assume it's not the Selker...

Never mind, it's called the Hammer... and thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you sooooo fucking much. Just golded it solo with nothing but snipe turrets. I had no idea how powerful those SOBs were.

#9 Posted by DEMONOLOGY_24 (521 posts) -

shoot guys and don't get shot

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.