Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ishar: Legend of the Fortress

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released 1992

The first in the Ishar Trilogy by Silmarils. With a party of up to five characters Aramir must stop the evil spreading from the mysterious Ishar fortress.

ST-urday #011: Ishar: Legend of the Fortress

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

Edited By Mento  Moderator

Another Saturday, another leap back in video game history to ponder how far we've come. I recently wrote an essay-ish blog on the evolution of video games, from the misty past of 1992 from which today's game hails to the present day, and how in the midst of all the technological advancements (and the many new genres and recurring game features that were born from same) there's been an undercurrent of refining the genres we already have, or revisiting them years after their day in the sun as a form of nostalgic retreat. Invariably, whenever these older models are improved upon, it's done so in a way that seems to prioritize the user experience. More opportunities to save without penalty, in-game maps, fast travel, instant restarts, etc.

We've seen a few cases of this already with this feature alone. Dungeon Master helped revitalize the hoary first-person dungeon crawler by switching the dynamic to a tense real-time environment - there were still turn-based dungeon crawlers after this, of course, as juggernauts like Wizardry and Might & Magic continued to flourish, but the branching path of this genre led to big name games like Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore: Throne of Chaos which exist because of Dungeon Master (not to mention throwbacks like Legend of Grimrock, which I also discussed in the above essay). There's also the god sims Populous and Mega Lo Mania, who took a very staid and contemplative strategy-simulation genre and simplified in such a way that took none of its edge off.

Anyway, with today's game we take a look at how CRPGs used to be. More first-person dungeon-crawling shenanigans, of a sort, but very much a change of scenery. Literally, as the game in question spends almost all of its time in outdoors environments: almost unheard of in 1992. If you've been following my recent reviews, open-air environments was also one of the big changes made with Legend of Grimrock 2 so that's largely what inspired today's choice of game. (Honestly, though, as far as big gameplay changes go it seems a bit... surface-level.) (Jokes.)

Ishar: Legend of the Fortress

No Caption Provided

Ishar: Legend of the Fortress is the first part of a trilogy - which essentially meant that it was set in the same universe and you could import your characters from game to game - and the successor to Silmarils's earlier CRPG Crystals of Arborea. Silmarils, incidentally, is a French company named after a Middle-earth artifact, so you know they're legit when it comes to developing CRPGs. I might be returning to them a few times with this feature, because they made a lot of weird and interesting (though not necessarily "good") content in their time. Besides the aforementioned focus on outdoors environments, Ishar's very much a story-driven game in which you're following a series of hints and roaming around the countryside to achieve various goals with a little less stress on the whole "loot and kill" dynamic.

It's also got some crazy proto-Souls mechanics seemingly designed to spite new players, though maybe it's simply meant to "test" them. Games of this era respect longevity as a virtue, but that usually means having to restart because you made a bad decision or two that you couldn't possibly have known were such. For instance, you can recruit and dismiss characters as you find them - there's no create a character system, not even for the protagonist - but they'll in-fight a lot depending on their race and disposition, leading even to murder and running off in the middle of the night with half the party's valuables. Some Yurt the Silent Chief shit. Money's also in high demand everywhere you go (you even need it to save the game) and the two best (or only) ways of earning some is to either hunt random mobs or to recruit characters only to kill them off and keep their starting gold. If I was going to be a dick about the French, I'd say it was a frog-eat-frog world out there.

Whether you're an old person who actually remembers playing these games when they were new or you're someone who has a fondness for the older, more inventive and usually more abstruse style of CRPG, there are essentially three ways you can play these games: A) Deliberately and carefully, keeping maps and writing down hints and directions and being ready to restart from one of a sparing number of save files (remember: each save uses up gold) in order to optimize the playthrough. Be prepared to get instantly killed by accidentally going into a high-level area or some other equally forbidden copse (see below) and adjust accordingly after reloading. B) The second, and more time-efficient way, is to follow some kind of guide or newbie instructions until you get a sense for how everything works and choose to take the training wheels off (at your peril) at some point in the adventure. Many systems tend to be a little too Byzantine for their own good, and this is largely the result of trying to fit in a lot of UI and RPG rules within a framework defined by the technological limitations of the era. The Gold Box games are a good example of this, because at the time they were highly regarded for their fidelity to the D&D ruleset. That meant an interface that had to work within the confines of 8-bit platforms like the C64 and still accurately convey and interpret the many rules and conventions of the complex Advanced Dungeons & Dragons system. As such, while everything you could need to interact with such an elaborate setting was available, it's all behind reams of menus and text. It's a tad intimidating when compared to later games like Baldur's Gate, which had a lot more breathing room for its UI to squeeze in everything in a more naturally intuitive way. (Having a much higher screen resolution helped too.)

There's also option C) Play like an idiot and get massacred because you have no idea where you're going or what you're doing. Invariably, all first playthroughs follow this path. It's generally not conducive to a victorious game state, but it's what you're going to see below (spoilers). I've clearly become a lot more impatient since the 90s...

Welcome to Ishar: Legend of the Fortress! Ishar is the name of the fortress, by the way.
    Welcome to Ishar: Legend of the Fortress! Ishar is the name of the fortress, by the way.
    Aramir, son of Goromir, son of Miramax, is our default hero and good guy. As you can see from this interface, there's a lot to unpack. Those are arrows over there, but there's very little to distinguish the
    Aramir, son of Goromir, son of Miramax, is our default hero and good guy. As you can see from this interface, there's a lot to unpack. Those are arrows over there, but there's very little to distinguish the "turn left" and "strafe" left buttons. I have room for four more adventurers, so let's start recruiting.
    (Can you tell that this game wasn't made by native English speakers?) Warm tears to you as well, my good bald man. A tavern seems like a good place to start recruiting adventurers. South, you say? Good thing this game has a built-in compass.
    (Can you tell that this game wasn't made by native English speakers?) Warm tears to you as well, my good bald man. A tavern seems like a good place to start recruiting adventurers. South, you say? Good thing this game has a built-in compass.
    We can also choose to recruit this person if we'd like, from the extensive
    We can also choose to recruit this person if we'd like, from the extensive "Action" menu that each character has. The left side are commands that relate to the NPC in front of you (you can murder anyone if they're out in the open like this, though there's a number of party members who won't approve of serial killing). Right side are more the context-based skill stuff.
    Civilization! Everyone seems to live in these weird conical houses. Every man's square is his castle, I guess.
    Civilization! Everyone seems to live in these weird conical houses. Every man's square is his castle, I guess.
    Well, we found the equipment shop, but it's all a bit expensive right now. Aramir begins his quest with a sword, fortunately, but no-one else seems to start with anything besides a pre-determined amount of starting cash.
    Well, we found the equipment shop, but it's all a bit expensive right now. Aramir begins his quest with a sword, fortunately, but no-one else seems to start with anything besides a pre-determined amount of starting cash.
    Outside, we're immediately accosted by these orcs. In the middle of a village? That's bold. It's not like they bothered with walls or anything, though. Enemies don't drop items, but they do drop gold, and this is how you pay for anything.
    Outside, we're immediately accosted by these orcs. In the middle of a village? That's bold. It's not like they bothered with walls or anything, though. Enemies don't drop items, but they do drop gold, and this is how you pay for anything.
    Wandering into a medieval Hooters, I start listening for clues as to where to go next as well as ponder our next recruits.
    Wandering into a medieval Hooters, I start listening for clues as to where to go next as well as ponder our next recruits.
    I kinda assumed a meal would recover our health, but it just made us feel
    I kinda assumed a meal would recover our health, but it just made us feel "al right". For 1000 gold it'd better have.
    Well, turns out our recruitment options are limited. Kyrian here is a
    Well, turns out our recruitment options are limited. Kyrian here is a "ranger", but doesn't seem to have a bow or anything else that would suggest experience with tracking and hunting. He's another free meatshield though, so welcome aboard.
    While I doubt we're anywhere close to going up levels, the more pertinent obstacle is that we cannot afford to. I'm not sure if we're paying for leveling (a la Might & Magic) or if this is just for teaching us spells and other abilities. Kinda academic at this point, really.
    While I doubt we're anywhere close to going up levels, the more pertinent obstacle is that we cannot afford to. I'm not sure if we're paying for leveling (a la Might & Magic) or if this is just for teaching us spells and other abilities. Kinda academic at this point, really.
    We eventually find Akeer, who we heard about in a rumor back at the tavern.
    We eventually find Akeer, who we heard about in a rumor back at the tavern.
    He fills us in on the story and then sends us on our way forward. Our destination is the eponymous fortress Ishar, but I suspect it won't be that easy to reach it.
    He fills us in on the story and then sends us on our way forward. Our destination is the eponymous fortress Ishar, but I suspect it won't be that easy to reach it.
    I don't know what this is. I thought it might've been a trap, but it's not a subtle one and it's not like I can't easily walk around it. Out of curiosity I walked through it and didn't seem to take any damage. Maybe it's for mosquitoes?
    I don't know what this is. I thought it might've been a trap, but it's not a subtle one and it's not like I can't easily walk around it. Out of curiosity I walked through it and didn't seem to take any damage. Maybe it's for mosquitoes?
    Y'know what would hit the spot? A map. No idea which way I'm supposed to be going.
    Y'know what would hit the spot? A map. No idea which way I'm supposed to be going.
    Uh, all right. Recruiting strange women in the woods always works out for the best.
    Uh, all right. Recruiting strange women in the woods always works out for the best.
    These are some appalling stats, but that high intelligence and Priest class suggests she might know some useful magic. I'll stick her in the back. Wait, let me try that sentence again: I'll put her in the back row away from harm and she can sling spells from relative safety.
    These are some appalling stats, but that high intelligence and Priest class suggests she might know some useful magic. I'll stick her in the back. Wait, let me try that sentence again: I'll put her in the back row away from harm and she can sling spells from relative safety.
    This bridge is the first sign of civilization I've found for a while. I guess if someone put this here it leads to something, right?
    This bridge is the first sign of civilization I've found for a while. I guess if someone put this here it leads to something, right?
    Oh no, I know where this goes. No leeches or unnecessary prescription drugs for me. Why does everything cost thousands of gold pieces, anyway? The economy in this game is wack.
    Oh no, I know where this goes. No leeches or unnecessary prescription drugs for me. Why does everything cost thousands of gold pieces, anyway? The economy in this game is wack.
    Finally! Some guys with weapons. Mind joining our- nope, you're just going to hit us with them.
    Finally! Some guys with weapons. Mind joining our- nope, you're just going to hit us with them.
    I mentioned wishing I had a map earlier, but I forgot about this super useful world map. I think I want to head to that brown squiggle at the bottom center. I'm assuming I'm where that big green splodge is on the left, if by green it means trees.
    I mentioned wishing I had a map earlier, but I forgot about this super useful world map. I think I want to head to that brown squiggle at the bottom center. I'm assuming I'm where that big green splodge is on the left, if by green it means trees.
    ...'cause I can see a lot of trees right now. At least it's a nice day out.
    ...'cause I can see a lot of trees right now. At least it's a nice day out.
    All right, something is beating the heck out of my party and I can't tell from what or from where this damage is coming from. Naturally, being the renowned forester that he is (was), Kyrian immediately bites the dust.
    All right, something is beating the heck out of my party and I can't tell from what or from where this damage is coming from. Naturally, being the renowned forester that he is (was), Kyrian immediately bites the dust.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that I wasn't supposed to go this way. My whole party got wiped out by an invisible menace from the treetops, and I wasn't even playing Predator.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that I wasn't supposed to go this way. My whole party got wiped out by an invisible menace from the treetops, and I wasn't even playing Predator.
    Hey buddy, you look menacing. Want to join our party? There's a few vacancies now. I love that the game was generous enough to assume that not only did we have a full complement of five characters, but we had more than one sword between us.
    Hey buddy, you look menacing. Want to join our party? There's a few vacancies now. I love that the game was generous enough to assume that not only did we have a full complement of five characters, but we had more than one sword between us.

So that was a disastrous first (well, first in a long while) playthrough, but like many otherwise wasteful washouts I did at least learn a few things: always have a destination in mind, don't wander too far off the beaten path (not that there was any path I could see, but it's a figurative statement), consider farming gold a bit for some better armor and weapons (or just any weapons) and stay the fuck away from trees. My next playthrough will undoubtedly be better, and I barely spent an hour gathering that much before getting wiped. It's to these old games' credit that, should you be attentive and patient enough, you'll eventually conquer them not just because you managed to out-pace your enemies in pure numbers - as with every RPG - but because you also ascertained and mastered the game's oblique quirks along the way. In that sense it can be a doubly rewarding experience, if you can put up with frequent TPKs like the above.

Fortunately, if you're not the type to bang your head against a wall until it either finally gives way or you're too concussed to care, the next two Ishar games are considerably better balanced. No paying for saving the game, for one, and the mechanics get ironed out and start to approach something a bit more logical and intuitive.

The Ishar series is presently available on GOG as a four-game bundle that includes Crystals of Arborea. Just be wary of what you're getting yourself into and they might just be a rewarding old-school experience. Incidentally, if you thought these games are intimidatingly abstract Silmarils would later make Robinson's Requiem: a game that makes the Ishar trilogy seem comparatively sane and straightforward. I'm not sure I have the constitution to play that one for a ST-urday.

(Back to the ST-urday ST-orehouse.)

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

You lasted slightly longer than I did when I played some Ishar during the early years of me having a GOG account and buying anything vaguely resembling an RPG on sale. I put that and like... the first Realms of Arkania game on the same pedestal of impenetrable European-developed early 90s CRPGs. Even compared to their North American counterparts, there's usually another level of inscrutability that probably isn't helped by the language barrier.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#2  Edited By Mento  Moderator

@arbitrarywater: True, having their own house-rules on top of the language barrier is a potent cocktail of what-the-hell-even-ry. It does make me more curious to try out a modern Das Schwarze Auge game like Drakensang or the Arkania reboot though. I'd assume they've been engineered to be a little more accessible to those unfamiliar to the table-top game. You also have to contend with all the customary "weird ERPG jank" that tends to follow games made on this continent, but then that stuff's half their charm.

Of course, the correct answer to "what European RPG should I play next?" is Witcher 3. I just need to scrabble up enough lucre for something to play it on.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#3  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@mento said:

@arbitrarywater: It does make me more curious to try out a modern Das Schwarze Auge game like Drakensang or the Arkania reboot though. I'd assume they've been engineered to be a little more accessible to those unfamiliar to the table-top game.

I can confirm that the Blackguards games (which use a modified version of Das Schwarze Auge) are solid tactical RPGs, maybe a tad sadistic/trial-and-error and janky. All I can tell you about the Arkania remake was that it was broken as shit when I played it. It's the only time I've ever requested a refund from Steam and they granted it to me without much trouble. I've had Drakensang in my steam library for years too, but I've never played it. From "people who would know" (i.e. RPGcodex types), I'm to understand those games are ok but not fantastic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I always enjoy reading this series of articles so thanks and keep up the great work.

Macka1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Great stuff as always, @mento. The deepest I've delved into CRPGs is Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights and the like, so I tremble at the thought of playing these engimatic European offerings. I'm quite happy to let you torture yourself for my enjoyment, though! :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.