Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Isometric Viewpoint

Concept »

A parallel projection technique used in 2D sprite-based games to fake the appearance of 3D depth.

Going Iso....In Retrospect.

drjota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Edited By drjota

In an act of looking back at the various archaic things I've collected over the years(an act otherwise known as spring cleaning)I came across my old CD folder that had been maintained since the late 90s,featuring such luminaries as Cibo Matto,Jurassic 5,Weezer,and Paul Oakenfold.After flipping through several of the pages,I had a "remember when ____ ....?" moment and decided to carry on with my tasks.However,out of the corner of my eye,I catch a brightly colored disc gleaming from the depths of its plastic prison.That disc was Roller Coaster Tycoon...

However,this story isn't about Roller Coaster Tycoon,oh no.It's about what was cradled alongside it...

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Yes,tossed in with the Heavy Gear IIs and theme park sims of the world were a group of iso perspective games that lent credence to the phrase "good from the top down".But all puns aside,a thought arose:"How would I perceive these games now in comparison to the rose colored glasses of yesteryear,and do they still hold up in the face of more technically advanced and powerful competition?" 

So the idea came to mind.A feature on these stalwarts of yesteryear,and a comparison to not only their future offspring,but to the gaming titans of today,in a search of whether the last decade of the millennium had it all figured out,or if there could've been more....

First part of the series next week....Diablo II.
    drjota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By drjota

In an act of looking back at the various archaic things I've collected over the years(an act otherwise known as spring cleaning)I came across my old CD folder that had been maintained since the late 90s,featuring such luminaries as Cibo Matto,Jurassic 5,Weezer,and Paul Oakenfold.After flipping through several of the pages,I had a "remember when ____ ....?" moment and decided to carry on with my tasks.However,out of the corner of my eye,I catch a brightly colored disc gleaming from the depths of its plastic prison.That disc was Roller Coaster Tycoon...

However,this story isn't about Roller Coaster Tycoon,oh no.It's about what was cradled alongside it...

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Yes,tossed in with the Heavy Gear IIs and theme park sims of the world were a group of iso perspective games that lent credence to the phrase "good from the top down".But all puns aside,a thought arose:"How would I perceive these games now in comparison to the rose colored glasses of yesteryear,and do they still hold up in the face of more technically advanced and powerful competition?" 

So the idea came to mind.A feature on these stalwarts of yesteryear,and a comparison to not only their future offspring,but to the gaming titans of today,in a search of whether the last decade of the millennium had it all figured out,or if there could've been more....

First part of the series next week....Diablo II.
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

But...RCT was isometric...

Also, I played Fallout last year for the first time and I thought it was great =D

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By ReyGitano
    @DrJota: Hey, Diablo II is one of the favorite games of my youth, and I expect it to be treated with respect! 
    I'll be looking forward to reading your next entry regardless though.
    bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By bongchilla

Solstice for the NES was my first iso game....and it was terrible

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.