Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Jade Raymond

Person » credited in 8 games

Jade Raymond is a video game producer who was most recently the studio head of Google's Stadia Games and Entertainment. She was formerly head of Montréal-based EA Motive Studios, Managing Director of Ubisoft Toronto, and first became well-known for her work as a producer on the first few Assassin's Creed titles.

Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft

• 141 results
    spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I didn't follow her closely but always thought she seemed cool.

gizmo88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By gizmo88

It's pretty rare that someone of her skill level doesn't move on directly to another job. Was she let go?

rockyeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spraynardtatum: I don't think she really took the spotlight much after the first assassins creed.

maccyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did she say whether she was staying in the game industry or not? This article is vague on that matter.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By ripelivejam

@maccyd said:

Did she say whether she was staying in the game industry or not? This article is vague on that matter.

@patrickklepek

BatmanBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patman99 said:

@mister_v said:

Just went to read her bio on the site. As i scrolled down I looked over at the "top user lists" And em.... hmm

Yup... It's just kinda sad... Damn it, Coonce!

Oh man, I remember that one hehe...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
    deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

That's a super impressive list to have on your resume.

I wonder if she'll be headed to a smaller team or will end up sticking with a bigger publisher. If the latter, let's hope her situation doesn't end up like Patrice Desilets' did. Personally though, it'd be nice to see her working on smaller projects.

greyfoxv1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Best of luck to such a great talent. I hope she joins up with Christina Coffin (coder from DICE who created the Frostbite engine) and makes some super rad game.

@ultimaxe said:

@turboman said:

She completely disappeared from public eye since the first Assassin's Creed it feels like. Hopefully she makes something cool post-Ubisoft.

That's because there was a bit of a negative response to her being at the forefront of the AC1 PR campaign. Let me put on my tin foil hat for a minute here:

@murdoc_ said:

She was never a developer, she never "made" a video game. Just to get the facts right, she's a business women, not a developer.

Like murdoc_ says, Jade Raymond wasn't the creative visionary behind Assassin's Creed; Patrice Desilets was. But, Jade's really pretty, right? So Ubisoft parades her around as the "face" of Assassin's Creed because that's a good idea. To Jade's credit, she was always super humble and quick to point out and reiterate that the game is from Patrice's head, not hers, and she always talked about how awesome her entire team was. She never claimed to be on the creative side of the game's development and clearly stated that she was just the producer (not to belittle her contributions). But it all felt super sleazy on Ubisoft's part and people responded poorly towards it. I like to think that Ubisoft realized that they had been caught and decided to let the actual creative director of the franchise run the PR circle for the follow up games, like they should have done in the first place.

Anyway! I hope that Jade Raymond goes off and does something cool again.

No it's not because she was a producer and like film or TV producers often do PR work for the shows they produce. There was absolutely nothing "sleazy" about Ubisoft having the producer of Assassin's Creed do press for Assassin's Creed.

@spraynardtatum: I don't think she really took the spotlight much after the first assassins creed.

Yeah. She had to deal with some pretty insane harassment for literally just being a woman working on the game during that press tour. I don't blame her.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By spraynardtatum
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@superjoe said:

"Historically-accurate models of Jerusalem and Damascus....Leap of Faith into a bale of hay....break line of sight....Wailing Wall...." I'll always associate Jade Raymond with these soundbites circa 2007.

*Lonely Soul playing in the background*

Every now and then I go back and watch that trailer. Good shit.

Alex_Carrillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman: Remember how fucking God awful the internet was to her? I would have hid too.

k-t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haz: My money's on her heading up a small team at Oculus.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimaxe: It's pretty normal for a producer to be the one to promote the game. Most of the developers are busy, you know, developing.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By bargainben

What a weird headline. "One of the most visible women in development" is that girl who did a few pieces on Assassin's Creed 1 almost a decade ago. That's a little disconcerting.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#117  Edited By Slag

Looking forward to see what she does next, always kinda figured she has the best chance to be the first woman become the head of a AAA publisher someday

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably no relation but she looks a lot like Alex Vance.

mr_creeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably not a PC thing to say nowadays ... but damn, she is really attractive. Best of luck to her.

"PC" or not, it's the truth.

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I hope she leaves games for her own safety! I hear that prominent female devs are being targeted and threatened through a hashtag

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mr_creeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By mr_creeper
    Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope she leaves games for her own safety! I hear that prominent female devs are being targeted and threatened through a hashtag

"If this press conference goes over 50 the bus will explode!" She'll be fine. The internet is not a place where threats are followed through.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By AMyggen

@maccyd said:

It's not vague, look at the last sentence and the tweet.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's also pretty likely that she is in fact moving directly to another job, but hasn't announced it yet. Not that anyone really needs to disclose where they work on twitter, but the game industry tends to be pretty secret about anything that isn't marketing material.

I suppose that secrecy is required to stop competitors from copying game ideas, yet also the reason gaming seems to be such a hotbed for conspiracy theorists right now.

ImBigInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@2headedninja said:

Probably not a PC thing to say nowadays ... but damn, she is really attractive. Best of luck to her.

Ok, sure, but's what's to gain from pointing it out via a post? Are you complimenting her directly? Are you helping out blind people who can only read the forums via text to speech software and can't look at pictures?

T3MPLESMITH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still the best looking lady in the gaming community.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Perhaps she'll get into freelance photography after teaming up with a pig man in fart boots.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

She was going to be part of that Ubisoft Toronto studio but I don't know anything about Ubisoft after 2012. It's like all the industry news coverage has slowed down in favor of something else.

zimzam99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: All respect to you and your opinion....but you are crazy!! just kidding....but Assassin's Creed 2 is widely recognized as a superior product, and in my opinion still the best entry in the series.

spctre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Probably not a PC thing to say nowadays ... but damn, she is really attractive.

Oh please. "PC"? "Nowadays"? Really?

It's all about being tasteful and above all else, respectful. Nobody will take away your right to call someone attractive.

maccyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UltimAXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legion_ said:

@ultimaxe: It's pretty normal for a producer to be the one to promote the game. Most of the developers are busy, you know, developing.

Maybe? I don't pay much attention to peoples' titles, but when a Cliffy B game is coming out, Cliffy B is taking interviews. David Jaffe was running around promoting Twisted Metal. Same with Michel Ancel, Kojima, Mikami, Sakurai, Nomura, Kamiya etc. Point being, it's typically the creative visionary talking about their creative vision, not the person making sure that everyone is doing what they're supposed to be doing and keeping the studio from catching on fire.

Like I said, I'm not trying to belittle Jade Raymond's contributions to any of the games that she's worked on, but she was an odd choice for the Assassin's Creed PR campaign.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Legion_

@ultimaxe said:

@legion_ said:

Maybe? I don't pay much attention to peoples' titles, but when a Cliffy B game is coming out, Cliffy B is taking interviews. David Jaffe was running around promoting Twisted Metal. Same with Michel Ancel, Kojima, Mikami, Sakurai, Nomura, Kamiya etc. Point being, it's typically the creative visionary talking about their creative vision, not the person making sure that everyone is doing what they're supposed to be doing and keeping the studio from catching on fire.

Like I said, I'm not trying to belittle Jade Raymond's contributions to any of the games that she's worked on, but she was an odd choice for the Assassin's Creed PR campaign.

I think the only one of the those guys you mentioned who is actually still writing code is Jaffe. Maybe Ancel as well? They're mostly creative input at this point, and Raymond most definitely had creative input on AC. She's a well articulated, enthusiastic and confident person, and that doesn't strike me as a odd choice at all.

Avatar image for kenpachiramasama
    KenpachiRamaSama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good. Ubisoft seems like a stifling atmosphere and with her talents I'm sure she can make something cool.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd:

I'm well aware of Roberta Williams, I used to love Sierra adventure games. And she is proof of why it is beneficial to have more female leadership and creators in games

Never considered them to be AAA though. Maybe they really were but to me the concept of AAA didnt really exist until the play station era. That doesn't diminish what she accomplished, just a different market today with a handful of megacorps unlike the more wide open 80's and early 90's.

maccyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: Sierra was massive in the 80s and 90s though. They had huge budgets for some games, dwarfing many others in the industry and was the arguably the first company to use a level of professionalism comparable to other mediums, such as films, regularly designing detailed sets, professional composers and using hollywood actors. It was what paved the way towards companies treating games as a professional medium and not just a niche hobby.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
    deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big loss for Ubisoft indeed. I remember her as one of the driving forces behind Assassins Creed which is still one of my favorite franchises ever. I hope we'll hear from her again in the future.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Slag

@maccyd said:

@slag: Sierra was massive in the 80s and 90s though. They had huge budgets for some games, dwarfing many others in the industry and was the arguably the first company to use a level of professionalism comparable to other mediums, such as films, regularly designing detailed sets, professional composers and using hollywood actors. It was what paved the way towards companies treating games as a professional medium and not just a niche hobby.

sigh, I know all that ok? I bought a lot of their games back in the day. AAA is a sloppy ill defined term, this sort of mis-communication is one of the many reasons why.

All I'm trying to do is acknowledge and recognize that Jade Raymond has had a pretty impressive career so far and she may have a chance to make some history if she chooses to pursue it. It may be an opportunity that never presents itself to her and that may be something she is not even aspiring to do.

Can we at least agree, that if Jade Raymond were to climb her way up become the head of a pre-existing Fortune 1000 Videogame company that it would be a pretty unique and notable accomplishment for a woman in the Games Industry?

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By firecracker22

I'm sad to see her go. I know when it comes to Ubisoft, it's impossible to really claim one person made a difference on any of their games these days. But, Raymond was brought in on the latest Splinter Cell.

Blacklist returned to the roots of what Splinter Cell is, and Raymond had something to do with that I'm sure. She was brought on to SC, and there were positive changes made to that entry. So I'm sad to her go, I remember hearing she was also working on the next Splinter Cell game.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I totally forgot about her, I remember seeing her face on like every single Assassins creed 1 video back in the day.

beomoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Good luck to Jade Raymond, hope her future includes more games for us to enjoy.

nERVEcenter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By nERVEcenter

How do you even exist for that long at a AAA studio and look that good? She's got the secret the Spanish explorers were searching for, because there's no damn way. Every individual I've seen who has lived in the grindhouse of AAA development looks and acts like they're dead inside. I met one girl who came in to talk about game development in a software class and basically emphasized to us that AAA is hell and her life is hell and nothing is worth it anymore and DON'T WORK IN AAA. I guess being in charge has its perks?

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Someone should make a bingo card for people leaving games companies. What will they do next? Stay tuned.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

She was going to be part of that Ubisoft Toronto studio but I don't know anything about Ubisoft after 2012. It's like all the industry news coverage has slowed down in favor of something else.

http://i.imgur.com/d3Os2lG.gif

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had never heard of this person before today, which is probably because I'm not a big Assassin's Creed fan. Still, I got to say it. Ahem...she is quite attractive. Kinda shoots the whole "only fat overweight males living their parent's basement play games" stereotype.

mr_creeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_creeper said:
    @2headedninja said:

Ok, sure, but's what's to gain from pointing it out via a post? Are you complimenting her directly? Are you helping out blind people who can only read the forums via text to speech software and can't look at pictures?

Everything to gain; nothing to lose.

Adavani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Adavani
    No Caption Provided

Posted an hour ago from her twitter, Pictured with Casey Hudson. Both going to work with Oculus.

Pitta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@murdoc_: Her background includes being a programmer for The Sims... Don't be an asshat AND ignorant. Thats a bad combo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.