Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Jade

Character » appears in 18 games

She is a bodyguard to her close friend Princess Kitana. Jade has also known as one of Shao Kahn’s most stealthy assassins. She is given secret orders to murder the Princess if her loyalty to Kahn falters, however only Jade knows where her true intentions lie.

So time warps cause racial changes?

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Hailinel

So I was just browsing the image gallery for Jade, and well, huh:

Original design
     Original design

2011 design
     2011 design
    Am I the only one doing a double-take at the rather sudden and drastic change in Jade's skin tone?
    Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Wow.  That is... pretty weird.  Then again, I've heard a lot of questionable things about this MK game lately.  Really worrying me.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hailinel
    @Make_Me_Mad said:
    " Wow.  That is... pretty weird.  Then again, I've heard a lot of questionable things about this MK game lately.  Really worrying me. "
    Really?  What sort of things have you been hearing?
    FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By FateOfNever

Huh, would you look at that...

gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By gpbmike

You're assuming edenians share the same skin characteristics as humans? That would be foolish.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hailinel
    @gpbmike said:
    " You're assuming edenians share the same skin characteristics as humans? That would be foolish. "
    Last I heard, Edenia wasn't home to a race of Michael Jacksons.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Hailinel said:
    " @gpbmike said:
    " You're assuming edenians share the same skin characteristics as humans? That would be foolish. "
    Last I heard, Edenia wasn't home to a race of Michael Jacksons. "
    Wow, that's racist.
    Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Make_Me_Mad
    @Hailinel:
    Mainly some unsubstantiated rumors that aren't worth worrying about...
    Probably total BS.  There are always things like that surrounding each new MK game.  Pretty much a tradition.  If it is true, though, it seems awfully juvenile and just downright trashy.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead

Donald Glover for Jade in the MK webseries.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Pibo47

Yeah...i totally forgot that she was black dude. Haha. Whatever. Idc. Makes 0 difference to me.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By keyhunter

Maybe summer ended and she lost her tan.
    Also it makes sense to me that someone named Jade would have chinese skin tone.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @gpbmike said:
    Wow, that's racist. "
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hailinel
    @Make_Me_Mad said:
    " @Hailinel:
    Probably total BS.  There are always things like that surrounding each new MK game.  Pretty much a tradition.  If it is true, though, it seems awfully juvenile and just downright trashy. "
    That almost sounds like one of those ridiculous rumors from way back in the days of the original Mortal Kombat like they were poking fun of in the demo quick look.  I'd probably have to see it to believe it.
    Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Make_Me_Mad
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Make_Me_Mad said:
    " @Hailinel:
    Probably total BS.  There are always things like that surrounding each new MK game.  Pretty much a tradition.  If it is true, though, it seems awfully juvenile and just downright trashy. "
    That almost sounds like one of those ridiculous rumors from way back in the days of the original Mortal Kombat like they were poking fun of in the demo quick look.  I'd probably have to see it to believe it. "
    That's what I'm thinking.  I wouldn't put it past the MK guys to have started the rumors in the first place.  Still, there's slightly more evidence behind this one than with some of the other crazy things they've had in the past, so it's kind of nagging at me in a "What if they really do stoop that low?" sort of way.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hailinel
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @gpbmike said:
    Wow, that's racist. "
    "
    It's racist to reference a black man whose change skin tone in later years made him look Caucasian?
    soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By soldierg654342
    @Make_Me_Mad said:

" @Hailinel:

I'd rather not be this guy, but you do realize that your complaining about possible sexual content in a game where your character's internal organs can be pushed out of them and skewerd and large spikes in lovingly graphic detail, right? They even twitch afterwards.

I do acknowledge that there is an argument to be made for/against this type of stuff in games, but if that is what is troubling you about this game, then you may want to re-examine your priorities. 
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By I_smell
    @Make_Me_Mad:  There's no nude model of anyone, don't be crazy.
    InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I like the new design better tbh. It's more appealing to the eyes.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Make_Me_Mad
    @SoldierG654342 said:
    " @Make_Me_Mad said:
    " @Hailinel:
    I'd rather not be this guy, but you do realize that your complaining about possible sexual content in a game where your character's internal organs can be pushed out of them and skewerd and large spikes, right? 

I do acknowledge that there is an argument to be made for/against this type of stuff in games, but if that is what is troubling you about this game, then you may want to re-examine your priorities.  "
    Trust me, I'm not that guy who gets offended at the idea of sexual content.  Mileena dresses like a skank most of the time anyways.  It's sort of a thing with her.  I'm just saying that it would be really, really damn awkward.  I play MK games for the fighting, for the nostalgia, for the blood and guts, and because I actually kind of like the story stuff they do on occasion.  Something like the aforementioned rumor, though, would just seem like pandering to the lowest common denominator and ridiculous in a way that would really, really put me off of the game, and hell, the series in general.
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By frankxiv

if you look at her character model in umk3 she's the same white lookin lady as mileena/kitana with slightly darker skin, perhaps darker than they actually intended, as every version after that if you look is also not as dark. 

the retro costume for the new mk in the gallery looks the closest to what they were probably were going for back then, i would guess.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By soldierg654342
    @Make_Me_Mad said:
    " @SoldierG654342 said:
    " @Make_Me_Mad said:
    " @Hailinel:
    I'd rather not be this guy, but you do realize that your complaining about possible sexual content in a game where your character's internal organs can be pushed out of them and skewerd and large spikes, right? 

I do acknowledge that there is an argument to be made for/against this type of stuff in games, but if that is what is troubling you about this game, then you may want to re-examine your priorities.  "
    Trust me, I'm not that guy who gets offended at the idea of sexual content.  Mileena dresses like a skank most of the time anyways.  It's sort of a thing with her.  I'm just saying that it would be really, really damn awkward.  I play MK games for the fighting, for the nostalgia, for the blood and guts, and because I actually kind of like the story stuff they do on occasion.  Something like the aforementioned rumor, though, would just seem like pandering to the lowest common denominator and ridiculous in a way that would really, really put me off of the game, and hell, the series in general. "
    Personally, I've always felt that the Mortal Kombat series pandered to the lowest common denominator. The first one was just a cash grab trying to get in on the fighting game boom that used the shock of extream violence to differntiat itself, and with the exception of 2 & 3, the series has always kind of been like that. Im just glad that the pandering didn't get in the way of making a soild, potentially great, game.

That being said, I am not for Melina getting naked.
    Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sarkhan

God.... another racial thread. From what i know(not much) it's general just for the pallett, and what they think looks good. and now. why dont they think black ppl looks good? pfff........ 

I dont know:) 

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Make_Me_Mad
    @SoldierG654342:
    I always thought MK had enough fun with itself and the crazy story stuff that it never really felt like that.  Anyways, the thread shouldn't be about that.

It's about Jade getting Last Airbender'd for some reason.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Skald

Yo, this is a good fighting game. 

That's all I know.

Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sarkhan
    @extremeradical said:
    " Yo, this is a good fighting game.  That's all I know. "
    And that is what we all should know. god damn racial thingy every day when you do something. Yes. awsome game. and for me? Im still jaxx baby(racial again? Or flipside?) I will tear your arms of with my rob arms:D
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By kingzetta

mmmmmmm there aren't enough hot ninja women in the world.
    ...........What was the topic again.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Nasar7

She went from dark-skinned Asian to light-skinned Asian. There's no racial change.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hailinel
    @Make_Me_Mad said:
    " @SoldierG654342:I always thought MK had enough fun with itself and the crazy story stuff that it never really felt like that.  Anyways, the thread shouldn't be about that.It's about Jade getting Last Airbender'd for some reason. "
    Yeah, as quickly as this thread is threatening to veer off-topic, this isn't about nudity or the MK series' history of shocking violence.  This is about the fact that a formerly black character is no longer black for apparently no reason.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Make_Me_Mad said:
    " @SoldierG654342:I always thought MK had enough fun with itself and the crazy story stuff that it never really felt like that.  Anyways, the thread shouldn't be about that.It's about Jade getting Last Airbender'd for some reason. "
    Yeah, as quickly as this thread is threatening to veer off-topic, this isn't about nudity or the MK series' history of shocking violence.  This is about the fact that a formerly black character is no longer black for apparently no reason. "
    Jade was never black. Even in that picture you posted, she isn't anything near being black.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hailinel
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Make_Me_Mad said:
    Yeah, as quickly as this thread is threatening to veer off-topic, this isn't about nudity or the MK series' history of shocking violence.  This is about the fact that a formerly black character is no longer black for apparently no reason. "
    Jade was never black. Even in that picture you posted, she isn't anything near being black. "
    Not sure if serious.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RsistncE

You know I remember getting UMK3 way back when and thinking, "My god those boobs are huge." 

Apparently they had room to grow. 

@Make_Me_Mad: If they're going to nudify Mileena they may as well do it to every female model...just sayin' 

Also, I'm pretty sure the third alt for Mileena can be seen here at 0:29. 

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Boobs! 
    Im sorry what were you saying?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Make_Me_Mad said:
    You do realise that your perspective is racist if you consider a dark skinned alien woman as a "black" (African American) woman, don't you?  She's a fictional character from a fictional place.  She's not meant to be embody being a human.
    fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By fwylo

Who cares?  She was asian in the movie wasn't she? Or indian or something. 

Either way.  Whatever.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hailinel
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Make_Me_Mad said:
    You do realise that your perspective is racist if you consider a dark skinned alien woman as a "black" (African American) woman, don't you?  She's a fictional character from a fictional place.  She's not meant to be embody being a human. "
    *Insert explodinghead.gif here*

You're calling me racist for referring to a fictional dark skinned woman as black, which in and of itself is a denotation of skin color that makes no mention or reference of nationality?
    weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By weltal

Obvs. I mean, look at this dude!

Ahh! I used to be black!
     Ahh! I used to be black!
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hailinel
    @RsistncE said:

" You know I remember getting UMK3 way back when and thinking, "My god those boobs are huge." 

Apparently they had room to grow. 

@Make_Me_Mad:

If they're going to nudify Mileena they may as well do it to every female model...just sayin' 

Also, I'm pretty sure the third alt for Mileena can be seen here at 0:29. 

"
    That drawing isn't necessarily representative of any in-game costume.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Hailinel said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Make_Me_Mad said:
    Jade was never black. Even in that picture you posted, she isn't anything near being black. "
    Not sure if serious. "
    She's called Jade and has been obviously asian in every one of the games, films and whatever junk MK has made. One drawing from 15 years ago isn't going to change that.
    nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By nick_verissimo
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " Donald Glover for Jade in the MK webseries. "
    I'd watch that.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hailinel
    @HandsomeDead said:

" @Hailinel said:

" @HandsomeDead said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Make_Me_Mad said:
    Not sure if serious. "
    She's called Jade and has been obviously asian in every one of the games, films and whatever junk MK has made. One drawing from 15 years ago isn't going to change that. "
    From Wikipedia:

The English word jade (alternative spellings "jaid", "jadeite") is derived (via French l'ejade and Latin ilia) from the Spanish term piedra de ijada (first recorded in 1565) or "loin stone", from its reputed efficacy in curing ailments of the loins and kidneys. Nephrite is derived from lapis nephriticus, the Latin version of the Spanish piedra de ijada.  

There is nothing Asian about the word Jade.
    MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MarkWahlberg
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " Donald Glover for Jade in the MK webseries. "
    heh.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Gabriel
    @Hailinel said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:

" @Hailinel said:

" @HandsomeDead said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Make_Me_Mad said:
    Not sure if serious. "
    She's called Jade and has been obviously asian in every one of the games, films and whatever junk MK has made. One drawing from 15 years ago isn't going to change that. "
    From Wikipedia:

The English word jade (alternative spellings "jaid", "jadeite") is derived (via French l'ejade and Latin ilia) from the Spanish term piedra de ijada (first recorded in 1565) or "loin stone", from its reputed efficacy in curing ailments of the loins and kidneys. Nephrite is derived from lapis nephriticus, the Latin version of the Spanish piedra de ijada.  

There is nothing Asian about the word Jade. "
    Jade is a stone most commonly associated with the Chinese, I think your reading wayyy to much into this.
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By Black_Rose

She has been asian in every game, that might be the concept art, but in the games themselves she was never black. 

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NinjaHunter
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By captain_clayman

uh i'm completely fine with that. 

plus it just seems more fitting.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46  Edited By Skald

Tangentially related fact: According to Wikipedia, Kano was originally supposed to be Japanese-American. 

@captain_clayman said:

" it just seems more fitting. "
    How so?
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I forgot that having dark skin automatically made you of African descent. My bad...

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Gabriel said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:

" @Hailinel said:

" @HandsomeDead said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Make_Me_Mad said:
    Not sure if serious. "
    From Wikipedia:

There is nothing Asian about the word Jade. "
    Jade is a stone most commonly associated with the Chinese, I think your reading wayyy to much into this. "
    This. At first I thought Hallinel may have a point but he's turned into a parasite as usual.
    Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Black or No, her skin tone is significantly lighter now than it was in most previous games that I remember.  It seems odd.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By JasonR86

She was just tanned before.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.