did this just get a price cut?

#1 Posted by outerabiz (661 posts) -

i seem to remember it being 40$ just yesterday, right? i might be crazy...

anyway, should i get it at 27$?

i have never played a JA game but i really did enjoy Men of War.

#2 Edited by lotusamurai (43 posts) -

Where are you seeing it for 27$ at? o.O Been thinking about getting this myself haha

#3 Posted by Jimbo (9804 posts) -

@outerabiz said:

i seem to remember it being 40$ just yesterday, right? i might be crazy...

anyway, should i get it at 27$?

i have never played a JA game but i really did enjoy Men of War.

If you enjoy the small scale Men of War missions... maybe?

Actually, if that's true, you'd probably just be better off getting Soldiers: Heroes of WW2.

#4 Posted by outerabiz (661 posts) -

@lotusamurai: steam, but it seems it's 40$ again now... dunno what just happened there, steam error maybe, should hav bought it :P

oh well, guess i'll give Soldiers: Heroes of ww2 a go or, try to find a way to get silent storm that isn't amazon.

#5 Posted by Fearbeard (826 posts) -

I haven't played Men at War so I can't really say based off of that. If you like squad based combat games then give it a try. What makes the Jagged Alliance series different from most is that it's a much more customizable experience then most. You have pretty much full control of who you want to recruit, what type of equipment you want to use, where when and what you attack. That's what gives the game a distinct feeling of unique ownership, as my campaign can play out completely different from someone elses.

The more I use the combat system the more I like it. It has a learning curve, and there are a few things missing from the tutorial which are essential in gameplay (the guard mode for example.)

Unfortunately I don't think the demo was a good choice to introduce players to the system.

#6 Posted by M_Shini (551 posts) -

It took me a few hours to get into this game, i did have quite a difficulty at first and died at what seemed like insanely easy situations now, went from dieing with all 3 of my Mercs just fighting against 5 soldiers to now being able to clear out two areas of 40 soilders with my more focused 2 man crew after all the little things you notice here and there, there was a moment when it just all clicked together.

Sucks Its the regular Full Price of £30 in the UK but its a game im enjoying so whatever.

#7 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3501 posts) -

@Jimbo: Thanks for that recommendation, it looks right up my alley.

#8 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@Origina1Penguin: You should just get Jagged Alliance 2 - the pinnacle of turn-based strategy games. One of the greatest games of all time. This new attempt at cashing in on the JA brand is not nearly as good.

#9 Posted by DeF (4863 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@Origina1Penguin: You should just get Jagged Alliance 2 - the pinnacle of turn-based strategy games. One of the greatest games of all time. This new attempt at cashing in on the JA brand is not nearly as good.

btw, JA2: Wildfire is on sale on gog right now

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/jagged_alliance_2_wildfire

#10 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@DeF: Nice but I'd recommend the original game to new players. Wildfire is quite different... some changes are for the better, some for the worse in my opinion. But it's definitely aimed at experienced players.

#11 Posted by outerabiz (661 posts) -

well, in the end i just bought both jagged alliance: back in action and soldiers: heroes of world war 2,

will probably get JA2 after im done with these 2 as it seems there are a lot of people who think it's a better game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.