Rumor: Raven Software Working On New James Bond Game

  • 50 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Here's a fun rumor. According to a report from James Bond fansite M16, Raven Software is behind the helm of a new stealth-oriented James Bond title... for the second time.
 
Initial work on this Raven-developed Bond game apparently kicked off as a separate team at the studio finished up work on Singularity. The Bond team wouldn't see their game finished, however. MI6 says Activision put the breaks on the project and assigned the team to a "series" of map packs for BLOPs, following the fall of Bond studio MGM. Now, in light of recent news that MGM's bankruptcy plan has been approved, Activision is letting the Bond team continue its work on this supposed Bond project. It's left unsaid, but we suppose those map packs have since been finished, which would seemingly make this possible (provided this rumor is true). 
 


As you may remember, Bizarre Creations produced the last Bond title, James Bond 007: Blood Stone, for Activision. Activision has since decided to "explore its options" regarding the studio's future

MI6 doesn't have any other details about this title. And, unfortunately, with these kinds of rumors, it's highly doubtful we'll get a person to come out and say "yes, this is all true and here's more information," so don't expect to hear much else for a while. However, since MI6's report broke, an animation reel from ex-Raven animator Hanjin Song containing footage from this supposed Bond game was uncovered. One clip in particular has a very Daniel Craig-like avatar jumping out from behind a wall and breaking a soldier's neck, ninja-style. That seems to line up nicely with what MI6 is reporting.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Here's a fun rumor. According to a report from James Bond fansite M16, Raven Software is behind the helm of a new stealth-oriented James Bond title... for the second time.
 
Initial work on this Raven-developed Bond game apparently kicked off as a separate team at the studio finished up work on Singularity. The Bond team wouldn't see their game finished, however. MI6 says Activision put the breaks on the project and assigned the team to a "series" of map packs for BLOPs, following the fall of Bond studio MGM. Now, in light of recent news that MGM's bankruptcy plan has been approved, Activision is letting the Bond team continue its work on this supposed Bond project. It's left unsaid, but we suppose those map packs have since been finished, which would seemingly make this possible (provided this rumor is true). 
 


As you may remember, Bizarre Creations produced the last Bond title, James Bond 007: Blood Stone, for Activision. Activision has since decided to "explore its options" regarding the studio's future

MI6 doesn't have any other details about this title. And, unfortunately, with these kinds of rumors, it's highly doubtful we'll get a person to come out and say "yes, this is all true and here's more information," so don't expect to hear much else for a while. However, since MI6's report broke, an animation reel from ex-Raven animator Hanjin Song containing footage from this supposed Bond game was uncovered. One clip in particular has a very Daniel Craig-like avatar jumping out from behind a wall and breaking a soldier's neck, ninja-style. That seems to line up nicely with what MI6 is reporting.
#2 Edited by stripclubdj (86 posts) -

bam 
 edit: at long last  plus this could be good :) hopefully nightfire 2:):)

#3 Posted by awesomeusername (4221 posts) -

kabloom 

#4 Posted by ComradeCrash (573 posts) -

So is the James Bond games the new Guitar Hero? Given to "soon to be closed studios?"

#5 Posted by FoxMulder (1711 posts) -

This I can get excited for!!

#6 Posted by awesomeusername (4221 posts) -
@ComradeCrash: Yes. Yes they are.
#7 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

something to do i guess

#9 Posted by Monk (181 posts) -

Well the animator could have done contract work for Bizarre Creations. Studios within the same publisher don't exist in a vacuum. But I do hope Activision isn't making a Bond game for the sake of making a Bond.  
 
I fear for Raven's future D:

#10 Posted by UberExplodey (943 posts) -

Great. been nice knowing you, Raven.

#11 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

Hearing any game is put on hold to make mappacks for a totally unrelated game makes me weep.

#12 Posted by Zaxex (595 posts) -

I thought Singularity was awesome.  
I haven't enjoyed a James Bond game since the Gamecube.  
I dislike Activision.  

Are people really blind enough to buy a James Bond game sight-unseen in the hundreds of thousands? Assuming it'll be mediocre at best of course. Didn't Activision fail at this strategy like a month ago?

#13 Posted by PhanThomas (90 posts) -

There is a new facebook video in Ravens profile with some footage of  their MoCap team, it is more a "merry Christmas message", though. It could actually make sense. I would be looking forward to it, Raven's never disappointed me.

#14 Posted by DriveupLife (919 posts) -

It looks like Activision is making another good business decision by sticking with the brand name games that will actually sell. Singularity was good but didn't sell as expxected, so If Raven is unsuccessful with this Bond game they should be shutdown.

#15 Edited by HubrisRanger (488 posts) -
@Zaxex said:

"   Are people really blind enough to buy a James Bond game sight-unseen in the hundreds of thousands? Assuming it'll be mediocre at best of course. Didn't Activision fail at this strategy like a month ago? "

While I'm skeptical that the Bond license has the same cache as it once did in the realm of video games, I think that you can lay the failure of Blood Stone to catch fire on a lot more than just Bond fatigue. Between the fact that Activision spent all their Bond advertising money on Golden Eye, and released Blood Stone the WEEK before Black Ops took over the world, did it really have any chance? Sent to die if I've ever seen it.
#16 Edited by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

Goodbye Raven Software.

#17 Posted by Cypher (114 posts) -
@Monk said:

" Well the animator could have done contract work for Bizarre Creations. Studios within the same publisher don't exist in a vacuum. But I do hope Activision isn't making a Bond game for the sake of making a Bond.   I fear for Raven's future D: "

 I saw the reel before it got taken down (there was maybe a 3 minute window between Joystiq putting it up and, apparently, the animator going "OH FUCKSHIT" and setting it to private and removing it) and it was NOT the stuff that Blood Stone was, not by a long shot.
 
There was actually a solid 2-3 minutes of footage (some greybox/maya animations, and some of actual gameplay) in that reel...it was quite startling to see.
#18 Posted by hagridore (500 posts) -

Better than being stuck doing COD map packs. 
 
Also goodbye, Raven.

#19 Posted by Ghostiet (5345 posts) -
@DriveupLife said:
" It looks like Activision is making another good business decision by sticking with the brand name games that will actually sell. Singularity was good but didn't sell as expxected, so If Raven is unsuccessful with this Bond game they should be shutdown. "

Yeah. Because Blood Stone was such a hit.

Yay for Activision killing A BRAND - Raven Software. Because they've made themselves enough of a name to be considered a valuable player in the biz and shutting them down because they've failed to deliver sales with a game based on a movie franchise without any movie support is fucking DUMB.

#20 Posted by MisterMouse (3564 posts) -

I hope that it turns out to be a solid Bond game... but yeah.

#21 Posted by BombaLuigi (168 posts) -
@jonnyboy said:
" Goodbye Raven Software. "
#22 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

I've written a haiku about Activision:
 
Talent means nothing;
Mass market, motherfuckers;
Gold pants for Bobby.

#23 Posted by gamb1t (963 posts) -

activision sucks ass.
 
who made the new goldeneye for the wii?

#24 Edited by MildMolasses (3229 posts) -
@ComradeCrash:
They haven't closed neversoft yet, have they?
#25 Posted by TheHT (11839 posts) -

They're really trying to capitalize on that license.

#26 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I smell a Splinter Cell Conviction
#27 Posted by HubrisRanger (488 posts) -
@gamb1t said:
" who made the new goldeneye for the wii? "
That would be Eurocom, your go to guys if you need a cheap license title done on time and under budget. Goldeneye Wii, on my quick appraisal of their catalog, is easily the best title they've worked on. Also pretty sure that Activision doesn't own them, so they can't be shuttered.
#28 Posted by shaane (3 posts) -

hopefully it will be better than blood stone

#29 Posted by spiceninja (3070 posts) -

I wish they'd just make an X-Men Legends 3.

#30 Posted by ShockD (2421 posts) -

Wasted potential.

#31 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

these are the wroooong people to be working on what's going to be a T-rated franchise installment.

#32 Posted by Cozmicaztaway (221 posts) -

@FuzzYLemoN That was beautiful, truly beautiful!


Isn't Raven already in trouble after Singularity? But hey, it's not like Activision doesn't like to give people a chance to make another crummy game before kicking them out into the cold, i mean,look at Robomodo!

#33 Posted by Xtacles (44 posts) -
@PhanThomas:  Quake IV, was that disappointment enough?
#34 Posted by Cretaceous_Bob (528 posts) -

It was a good run, Raven.

#35 Posted by BaconGames (3582 posts) -

Does anyone even want another James Bond video game?  Honestly that franchise in general (like Star Wars) was always kinda ass with very few exceptions.  
 
Why are people railing on Activision of exercising its decision-making powers as a business?  What do you expect?  They do something for the good of video games just because?  No publisher does that, none.  A positive means may be more or less successful but they're all means to the same end: success.  Activision using its clout decided the corporate method works for them and turns out they make bank so they're gonna keep doing it.  If Raven doesn't like it, they don't have to keep working there because fuck I think they can get away with saying they didn't like working at Activision (at least the people, not the name Raven itself).

#36 Posted by PJ (1158 posts) -

Looks like Raven will be the next studio to be shut down.

#37 Posted by Little_Socrates (5718 posts) -

I don't think the world needs James Bond anymore. The people he fights aren't the world's enemies anymore. During the Cold War, we used James Bond to explore the terrors of technology and to watch a a man singlehandedly diffuse disasters the likes of which often rivaled the thermonuclear warfare we were trying so desperately to avoid. In the 90's, Brosnan's bond is famed for being a technofetishist, using and fighting the gadgets society was at that time afraid of creating. 
 
Daniel Craig's James Bond is sort of a psychoanalysis of the phenomenon that was James Bond; what could possibly drive a man to kill the way Bond always has, and do it with such dry wit and lack of compassion? Thing is, humanizing Bond is not what people want from the character; we want him to prove to us that through ingenuity and good faith, we can eliminate the foe that frightens the world most. Right now, in America at least, that's probably terrorism. Most places, it's probably still thermonuclear warfare, and he's fought that enough times over the years now.
 
Bond really can't fight terrorism for its own sake. He's fought profiteers, assassins, heist-masters, and extremely powerful lunatics before, but there's a reason we don't often send him to the jungle, urban or organic. His skills, outside of the older trapmaster Bonds, don't help him there. Especially with Daniel Craig, the strengths of Bond lie in fighting guards, doing research and espionage, and tracking people. If he doesn't know who he's looking for, and the people he's looking for are as alert and stealthy as he is, he's not really the right man for the job. The man to fight guerilla warfare singlehanded is more of a Master Chief type, as we've seen in levels like Sierra 117 or Outskirts. They need to be so tough that it doesn't matter who's got the drop on who; he's tougher, so he wins in a one-on-one.  
 
What's there to be done with him? Well, they could go the route of Uncharted and send him after people with interest in the occult. He could still be stealthy and dry as he assaults their information, though there's less room for Bond's sexuality in these ventures. Alternatively, send him after Kim Jong Il types. Otherwise...well, I said it already. I don't think the world needs Bond anymore.

#38 Posted by Brodehouse (10140 posts) -
@Little_Socrates:  I like the content of your post.
#39 Edited by wiII (108 posts) -
@Little_Socrates said:

" I don't think the world needs James Bond anymore. "

Blasphemy!  Bond has evolved and changed many times.   I  would hate to see it disappear forever and not be able to see how it continues to evolve.   I'd rather always give something a chance then to just say, no more!
#40 Posted by IamNOTatalkingpony (262 posts) -
    
My reaction.
#41 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

singularity was great
It's does probably make more business sense to pump out a bond game tho

#42 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

The kiss of death.

#43 Posted by PhanThomas (90 posts) -
@Xtacles:  Actually no, I liked Quake IV (PC) a lot.
#44 Posted by maxim2boobles (52 posts) -

quantum of solace was a great game

#45 Posted by Roger778 (960 posts) -

If this rumor is true, then I will relish a new James Bond Game.  I asked for Blood Stone for Christmas because my family knows I'm a hardcore Bond fan.  Besides Raven is a good developer.  They did a great job with Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force, after all.
#46 Posted by Sly_Ry (155 posts) -
@Little_Socrates said:
" I don't think the world needs James Bond anymore. The people he fights aren't the world's enemies anymore. During the Cold War, we used James Bond to explore the terrors of technology and to watch a a man singlehandedly diffuse disasters the likes of which often rivaled the thermonuclear warfare we were trying so desperately to avoid. In the 90's, Brosnan's bond is famed for being a technofetishist, using and fighting the gadgets society was at that time afraid of creating.  Daniel Craig's James Bond is sort of a psychoanalysis of the phenomenon that was James Bond; what could possibly drive a man to kill the way Bond always has, and do it with such dry wit and lack of compassion? Thing is, humanizing Bond is not what people want from the character; we want him to prove to us that through ingenuity and good faith, we can eliminate the foe that frightens the world most. Right now, in America at least, that's probably terrorism. Most places, it's probably still thermonuclear warfare, and he's fought that enough times over the years now. Bond really can't fight terrorism for its own sake. He's fought profiteers, assassins, heist-masters, and extremely powerful lunatics before, but there's a reason we don't often send him to the jungle, urban or organic. His skills, outside of the older trapmaster Bonds, don't help him there. Especially with Daniel Craig, the strengths of Bond lie in fighting guards, doing research and espionage, and tracking people. If he doesn't know who he's looking for, and the people he's looking for are as alert and stealthy as he is, he's not really the right man for the job. The man to fight guerilla warfare singlehanded is more of a Master Chief type, as we've seen in levels like Sierra 117 or Outskirts. They need to be so tough that it doesn't matter who's got the drop on who; he's tougher, so he wins in a one-on-one.   What's there to be done with him? Well, they could go the route of Uncharted and send him after people with interest in the occult. He could still be stealthy and dry as he assaults their information, though there's less room for Bond's sexuality in these ventures. Alternatively, send him after Kim Jong Il types. Otherwise...well, I said it already. I don't think the world needs Bond anymore. "
You had me pretty interested until you mentioned Master Chief and were actually being serious about it. But I can see that you wanted to segue into talking about video games, so thats alright. It's hard for me to see how James Bond isn't relevant anymore after 22 films that have adapted to each time period they've been written in.  
 
I think Quantum of Solace was deliberately made ala Jason Bourne because that's the style relevant today or rather that's the style, sadly, that audiences expect from spy stories. So it only makes sense in that regard. Although I do like Quantum of Solace for certain reasons, I miss the old formula terribly!! 
#47 Posted by Little_Socrates (5718 posts) -
@Sly_Ry: Master Chief's archetype is the only fantasy-style archetype that I can come up with to battle America's modern enemy. I understand Bond can be modified with each iteration, but to modify his style to the point that he resembles John McClane would be insane. Now, as I said, I know that America may not be the focus of James Bond, but again, the looming threat that spans the globe hasn't changed in decades, and there are too many of those films. While they might make a new thermonuclear warfare Bond film that's really good, it's impossible for me to justify another film themed this way (using nukes as in Thunderball or fantasy versions of nukes as in Moonraker) as "necessary" when the ones that have been made were so good.
 
Maybe audiences expect stories like Quantum of Solace, but then that's the reason that there aren't as many spy movies anymore. Quantum of Solace was totally filled with mixed to negative reviews; the bad guys he fights in the film just had no punch to them. Quantum feels like a somehow weaker version of The Patriots from Metal Gear Solid, and has no real world bearing. Saying that you miss the old formula shows that there is still an audience for old James Bond films, but that doesn't mean the world still needs him. More would be nice, but what you really want is to re-experience what you've already had. No matter what, the way you're going to introduce people to Bond is with the old films anyways. The modern ones just aren't ever going to be as memorable.
#48 Posted by bartok (2585 posts) -

Yawn another Bond game let me guess it will be a decent 3rd person cover based shooter with possible mediocre to terrible driving segments.   I hope Raven Software just goes crazy with the license and we end up with another Wolverine Origins.  

#49 Posted by Pavlo (57 posts) -

Terrible writing.

#50 Posted by Kaspar (159 posts) -

What are you doing Raven? We need Jedi Knight 4!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.