Avatar: Nothing to do with an Airbender

• 55 results
#1 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I can't be the only person looking forward to this here. The cast seems a bit weak, or should I say, untested besides for Sigourney Weaver and Michelle 'Don't call me Babe' Rodriguez and the idea of it being in 3D seems a bit off putting but seeing as it's James Cameron, no doubt it'll be the best film of 2009.

#2 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
HandsomeDead said:
the idea of it being in 3D seems a bit off putting
Elaborate. I for one can't wait for more Real D movies.
#3 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
Meowayne said:
"HandsomeDead said:
Elaborate. I for one can't wait for more Real D movies."
I don't really know the specifics but I know that the reason it was pushed back from May to December 2009 was to give cinemas more time to install these new type projectors that do this new 3D style. Personally, i'm unsure about this because what happens when it's watched as a DVD/Blu-Ray?
#4 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Nothing happens. It's just played at regular speed and skips the alternate perspective frames.

Normal video (24fps):

Frame A
Frame B

Real D video (144fps, 72fps per eye):

Frame A (polarized so only your left eye sees it)
Frame A1 (polarized so only your right eye sees it)
Frame A
Frame A1
Frame A
Frame A1

Frame B
Frame B1
Frame B
Frame B1
Frame B

With Real D, you're looking at a high res digital projection movie with extremely smooth 72fps, very light glasses and a perfect, distortion-free 3D image. It's awesome.

#5 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Ah right. Sounds excellent and unsurprisingly, it's James Cameron at the helm as well. Just a shame that it seems like the next person to use it is Tim Burton.

#6 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -

There's a lot of people jumping on the Real D bandwagon.  Honestly, it doesn't make a difference to me.  I'm just waiting for all the cinematic nerds out there to start calling current movies that aren't 3D "artistic classics" because of their 2D-ness.

#7 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"There's a lot of people jumping on the Real D bandwagon.  Honestly, it doesn't make a difference to me.  I'm just waiting for all the cinematic nerds out there to start calling current movies that aren't 3D "artistic classics" because of their 2D-ness."
whatever is considered artistic classis today will remain. its not like soul plane is all of the sudden an artistic classic because its not real d. 
btw, this movie is turning out to be the biggest fucking movie of all time. i hope it doesn't end up like water world. 
#8 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
TwoOneFive said:
"jakob187 said:
"There's a lot of people jumping on the Real D bandwagon.  Honestly, it doesn't make a difference to me.  I'm just waiting for all the cinematic nerds out there to start calling current movies that aren't 3D "artistic classics" because of their 2D-ness."
whatever is considered artistic classis today will remain. its not like soul plane is all of the sudden an artistic classic because its not real d. 
btw, this movie is turning out to be the biggest fucking movie of all time. i hope it doesn't end up like water world. 
"
It's James Cameron. I'd bet my soul that it's a huge success. Just look at how far over budget and time Titanic went and then see how much money it made. Of course, that has a larger demographic than this, but still.
#9 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

If we are talking about those stupid as fuck 3d movies then no thanks its actually been proven a good 50% of the popular has problems with the glasses ranging from them not working at all to extreme headaches.

They dont work for me and i get headaches when trying to watch a movie with them, and its not true 3d its just quasi trick your eyes so you'll pay money to see this shit *no 3d movie that has to have those glasses is good*

#10 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -

But this has everything to do with being the greatest movie of the decade.

#11 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -
HandsomeDead said:
"Meowayne said:
"HandsomeDead said:
I don't really know the specifics but I know that the reason it was pushed back from May to December 2009 was to give cinemas more time to install these new type projectors that do this new 3D style. Personally, i'm unsure about this because what happens when it's watched as a DVD/Blu-Ray?"

Well I don't know about you but I'm going to get six jobs so I can get a steroscopic TV to watch Avatar.
#12 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2418 posts) -

One of my eyes was gorged out by a horny orangutan. How can I enjoy the Real D experience?

#13 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
gunswordfist said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"Meowayne said:
"HandsomeDead said:
I don't really know the specifics but I know that the reason it was pushed back from May to December 2009 was to give cinemas more time to install these new type projectors that do this new 3D style. Personally, i'm unsure about this because what happens when it's watched as a DVD/Blu-Ray?"

Well I don't know about you but I'm going to get six jobs so I can get a steroscopic TV to watch Avatar."
Fuck yeah. Anything for a new James Cameron film.
#14 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -
HandsomeDead said:
"gunswordfist said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"Meowayne said:
"HandsomeDead said:

Well I don't know about you but I'm going to get six jobs so I can get a steroscopic TV to watch Avatar."
Fuck yeah. Anything for a new James Cameron film."
Hehe you're alright. James Cameron is IMO the biggest come back there can be. And Avatar will make that that much better.
#15 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Definitely, besides True Lies, which is still amazingly enjoyable if an obvious sidestep from his Spider-Man project, every James Cameron film has been near perfect so while I have high hopes for Avatar, I honestly believe he is going to match or even beat them.

#16 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -

I haven't seen True Lies in so long. I LOVE that movie. Too bad he couldn't do the Michael Biehn Spider-Man movie. That would have been BEYOND perfect!!!!!!!!!

Terminator 2 is my favorite sci-fi movie of all time but I believe Avatar will stomp on it.

#17 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

Cameron is still the king of Hollywood, LOTR3 did not deserve that many oscars, and The Dark Knight didn't come close to Titanic's well over a billion dollar world wide gross. 

He done some fantastic things since Titanic too. 

But this movie will be INSANE!! 
Real D is incredible, i've had the chance to enjoy a taste of it this year and I'm telling you dude its no longer that shitty 3-d red and cyan glasses stuff of the past. 

Also i've been keeping up on any news about this since i first heard about it beginning production (finally). They've got the best of the best effects from everywhere on this thing. They even got the crew behind all of the ground breaking stuff from the Matrix trilogy (the sequels were totally snubbed by the oscars...lost to PIRATES! lol)
and they've invented, yet again, all knew filming technology, think bulletime but an entire sphere of cameras instead of just one circle. 
They're taking all of that cinema 2.0 stuff and taking it to a whole new level as well. 

This comes out next year...can't wait, 2009 is going to be one of the greatest years for movies ever. The new Star Trek film from JJ Abrams looks incredible, Watchmen, Tranformers 2 etc etc
#18 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -
TwoOneFive said:
"btw, this movie is turning out to be the biggest fucking movie of all time. i hope it doesn't end up like water world."
From the man who brought us:
  • Aliens - winner of 2 Oscars (7 nominations)
  • The Terminator - critical and box office hit, as well as created the ONLY character to ever be on both the "heroes" and "villains" list from AFI
  • The Abyss - winner of 1 Oscar (4 nominations)
  • True Lies - it's fucking awesome
  • Terminator 2: Judgment Day - winner of 4 Oscars (6 nominations)
  • Titanic - winner of 11 Oscars (14 nominations), as well as the highest-grossing film of all time
  • Dark Angel - highly successful TV series that skyrocketed Jessica Alba's career as well as won various awards over its two seasons

Yeah, needless to say...I'm PRETTY sure that Avatar is going to fucking rule.  Cameron can do no wrong (although I personally don't like Titanic, but that's because it bores me to sleep).  Doubting this man is probably punishable by death somewhere.
#19 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -

Dark Angel is such a great show. Besides Sin City, Alba's career peaked with that show. I don't care what anyone says.

#20 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -
gunswordfist said:
"Dark Angel is such a great show. Besides Sin City, Alba's career peaked with that show. I don't care what anyone says."
For some reason, I don't think anyone really cares about her CAREER peaks...
#21 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"gunswordfist said:
"Dark Angel is such a great show. Besides Sin City, Alba's career peaked with that show. I don't care what anyone says."
For some reason, I don't think anyone really cares about her CAREER peaks..."

Hehe I meant that she hasn't been doing great stuff lately. That's all.
#22 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -
gunswordfist said:
"jakob187 said:
"gunswordfist said:
For some reason, I don't think anyone really cares about her CAREER peaks..."

Hehe I meant that she hasn't been doing great stuff lately. That's all."
Depends on your perspective.  She just had a kid, and I hear that's pretty great stuff...
...and obviously, great stuff happened in order to make that kid...
#23 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -

lol But that's not her career. That's...

#24 Posted by KamasamaK (2408 posts) -
Tarsier said:
"I thought this movie was being made by M Night Shyamalan.
O__O"
Was that an attempt at a joke or did you not read the title?
#25 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -
Kamasama said:
"Tarsier said:
"I thought this movie was being made by M Night Shyamalan.
O__O"
Was that an attempt at a joke or did you not read the title?"

BWAHAHAAA!!

Also, I love Avatar The Last Airbender but the live action movie will SUCK! M. Night's a hasbeen and doing Avatar right in live action is near impossible for anyone. Plus I can't believe M. Night thought to himself in his kitchen that he could do a good Avatar movie. The man lost his mind.
#26 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -
gunswordfist said:
"lol But that's not her career. That's..."
...her career.  I know.  Look, she can't act.  We all know that.  She has made a career based on one thing:  ridiculously fucking hot and refuses to do nudity.
#27 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -

Well I actually think her acting was good in Dark Angel but that's probably it. And she needs to get butt naked.

#28 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -
gunswordfist said:
"Well I actually think her acting was good in Dark Angel but that's probably it. And she needs to get butt naked."
A.  No.
B.  Not gonna happen.  Most you get is a body double in The Sleeping Dictionary and the knowledge that Alba picked those boobs to represent her own, although that's a controversial thing to start with.

Either way, Avatar is gonna own the world!!!  I just hope the video game doesn't suck balls.
#29 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -

The game has no chance of doing the movie justice. Games overall just don't have the same kind of impact as movies and to transfer the phenomenon that will be Avatar into a game will be impossible. Also the graphics won't do the movie justice. lol

#30 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -
gunswordfist said:
"The game has no chance of doing the movie justice. Games overall just don't have the same kind of impact as movies and to transfer the phenomenon that will be Avatar into a game will be impossible. Also the graphics won't do the movie justice. lol"
Ahem...you were saying?
#31 Posted by KamasamaK (2408 posts) -
gunswordfist said:
"The game has no chance of doing the movie justice. Games overall just don't have the same kind of impact as movies and to transfer the phenomenon that will be Avatar into a game will be impossible. Also the graphics won't do the movie justice. lol"
What game?
#32 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"gunswordfist said:
Ahem...you were saying?
"

Played it. Watched both movies. You got to do better than that.
#33 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -
Kamasama said:
"gunswordfist said:
What game?"

James Cameron's Avatar will have a game.
#34 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"TwoOneFive said:
"btw, this movie is turning out to be the biggest fucking movie of all time. i hope it doesn't end up like water world."
From the man who brought us:
  • Aliens - winner of 2 Oscars (7 nominations)
  • The Terminator - critical and box office hit, as well as created the ONLY character to ever be on both the "heroes" and "villains" list from AFI
  • The Abyss - winner of 1 Oscar (4 nominations)
  • True Lies - it's fucking awesome
  • Terminator 2: Judgment Day - winner of 4 Oscars (6 nominations)
  • Titanic - winner of 11 Oscars (14 nominations), as well as the highest-grossing film of all time
  • Dark Angel - highly successful TV series that skyrocketed Jessica Alba's career as well as won various awards over its two seasons

Yeah, needless to say...I'm PRETTY sure that Avatar is going to fucking rule.  Cameron can do no wrong (although I personally don't like Titanic, but that's because it bores me to sleep).  Doubting this man is probably punishable by death somewhere.
"
you don't have to tell me anything, i only said i HOPE it doesn't turn out bad, that would be catastrophic! 
ps True Lies is probably my all time favorite action comedy. 
#35 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -

Avatar won't flop. It's just plain impossible.

#36 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -

I'm sorry, but that game was on par with the amazingness of Pitch Black.

As far as doing better, there are plenty of movie titles that lived up to a high standard:

LOTR: Two Towers and Return of the King
Spider-Man 2
GoldenEye (for its time)
Star Wars: Battlefront II
the LEGO games
Peter Jackson's King Kong
The Warriors
Everything or Nothing

...and don't even get me into my favorites from the old school, like Batman, RoboCop, Super Empire Strikes Back...

...and then there are games that I just personally liked, like Stargate, Judge Dredd, and Universal Soldier...
#37 Posted by KamasamaK (2408 posts) -
gunswordfist said:
"Kamasama said:
"gunswordfist said:
What game?"

James Cameron's Avatar will have a game."
I haven't heard anything about it. I suppose it's no more pointless to speculate on it than the movie, which doesn't even have a trailer yet, but the comment seemed to come out of nowhere. I can't say I really care about the game, but if it actually ends up being good I guess I'll check it out.
#38 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"I'm sorry, but that game was on par with the amazingness of Pitch Black.
As far as doing better, there are plenty of movie titles that lived up to a high standard:

Spider-Man 2
GoldenEye (for its time)
the LEGO games
The Warriors
Everything or Nothing

...and don't even get me into my favorites from the old school, like Batman, RoboCop, Super Empire Strikes Back...

...and then there are games that I just personally liked, like Stargate, Judge Dredd, and Universal Soldier...
"
Believe or not, I'm not making an argument about how movie games can't be good because they have never been good. I LOVED Goldeneye (still the best FPS of all time), Everything Or Nothing (same team that did Dead Space) and The Warriors. I'm saying that there hasn't been a game as epic as Avatar and I doubt SERIOUSLY doubt a game could capture the movie's magic. Games have a long way to go.
#39 Edited by jakob187 (21645 posts) -
gunswordfist said:
"jakob187 said:
"I'm sorry, but that game was on par with the amazingness of Pitch Black.

Spider-Man 2
GoldenEye (for its time)
the LEGO games
The Warriors
Everything or Nothing

"
Believe or not, I'm not making an argument about how movie games can't be good because they have never been good. I LOVED Goldeneye (still the best FPS of all time), Everything Or Nothing (same team that did Dead Space) and The Warriors. I'm saying that there hasn't been a game as epic as Avatar and I doubt SERIOUSLY doubt a game could capture the movie's magic. Games have a long way to go."
...which is why I listed games that DID capture the movie's magic.  = D  I totally understood your point.
And GoldenEye "best FPS of all time"?  Sure, that's a subjective thing...I guess...but seriously, that game could never trump Quake II.
#40 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -

*puts Quake 2 on to play list*

Well yeah but I'm saying that Avatar will be too epic of a movie to have its magic captured. (yes that did sound cheesy)

#41 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -
gunswordfist said:
"*puts Quake 2 on to play list*

Well yeah but I'm saying that Avatar will be too epic of a movie to have its magic captured. (yes that did sound cheesy)"
Maybe, but I think more of Cameron than that...
I find it interesting that Sam Worthington is playing a lead role in the movie...since, ya know...he's playing Marcus Wright in Terminator Salvation.  lol

Funny how everything comes around full circle in the universe.
#42 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"gunswordfist said:

Well yeah but I'm saying that Avatar will be too epic of a movie to have its magic captured. (yes that did sound cheesy)"
I find it interesting that Sam Worthington is playing a lead role in the movie...since, ya know...he's playing Marcus Wright in Terminator Salvation.  lol

"
Apparently he got the role in Terminator: Salvation as an attempt to get James Cameron's blessing on the film but Cameron has yet to comment on it.
#43 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"gunswordfist said:

"

I doubt Cameron has anything to do with the game. And I knew Sam was in Salvation but I'm not watching that movie. Charlie's Angel director FTL!
#44 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -
gunswordfist said:
"Charlie's Angel director FTL!"
Funny...a lot of people said the same tone of remarks when James Cameron was going to be directing Aliens after Ridley Scott did the original...
...and when a cheesy, low-budget horror film director from New Zealand was going to be making films based on Lord of the Rings...

As for Cameron's involvement with the game...he's pushed for the game to be 3D like the movie, as well as offered up numerous amounts of approval for level designs, character models, and such.  Given that he's well-known for his love of video games, I don't see why he WOULDN'T get involved.
#45 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"gunswordfist said:
Funny...a lot of people said the same tone of remarks when James Cameron was going to be directing Aliens after Ridley Scott did the original...
...and when a cheesy, low-budget horror film director from New Zealand was going to be making films based on Lord of the Rings...

As for Cameron's involvement with the game...he's pushed for the game to be 3D like the movie, as well as offered up numerous amounts of approval for level designs, character models, and such.  Given that he's well-known for his love of video games, I don't see why he WOULDN'T get involved.
"

He is?!!! I didn't know that. It's hard to believe that JC's a gamer. Even with his involvement I doubt the team behind the game is even any good. It's not like Grin is working on it.

As for McG and comparing him to Cameron, Cameron only made one bad movie and he used it to help him get to where he is now. McG has made nothing but bad movies.
#46 Posted by KamasamaK (2408 posts) -

I do remember him being featured in one of the videos at a Microsoft E3 press conference.

#47 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -

Really?! Whoa.

#48 Edited by jakob187 (21645 posts) -
gunswordfist said:
"jakob187 said:
"gunswordfist said:

"

He is?!!! I didn't know that. It's hard to believe that JC's a gamer. Even with his involvement I doubt the team behind the game is even any good. It's not like Grin is working on it.

As for McG and comparing him to Cameron, Cameron only made one bad movie and he used it to help him get to where he is now. McG has made nothing but bad movies."
Cameron made a bad movie?  Which one is that?  Last I looked, his entire portfolio is full of win.  I may not like Titanic personally, but that doesn't mean it was a shitty movie!  It just means that the only thing that kept me going was getting to see Kate's boobs again in a movie...and from what I've heard, those were CGI!!!  lol  Okay, bad joke.

And you doubt the team working on Avatar?  You should know them well.  It's Ubisoft Montreal...the makers of Assassin's Creed and Far Cry 2.  Granted, they aren't PERFECT games, but they are far from bad and/or flawed in horrificly terrible ways.
#49 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"gunswordfist said:
"jakob187 said:
"gunswordfist said:

"

As for McG and comparing him to Cameron, Cameron only made one bad movie and he used it to help him get to where he is now. McG has made nothing but bad movies."
Cameron made a bad movie?  Which one is that?  Last I looked, his entire portfolio is full of win.  I may not like Titanic personally, but that doesn't mean it was a shitty movie!  It just means that the only thing that kept me going was getting to see Kate's boobs again in a movie...and from what I've heard, those were CGI!!!  lol  Okay, bad joke.

And you doubt the team working on Avatar?  You should know them well.  It's Ubisoft Montreal...the makers of Assassin's Creed and Far Cry 2.  Granted, they aren't PERFECT games, but they are far from bad and/or flawed in horrificly terrible ways.
"

WHAT! No way! Ubisoft Montreal?! Those guys are my favorite. Hehe. I thought some nobody had this project.

Cameron's first movie was called Piranha.
#50 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -
gunswordfist said:
"WHAT! No way! Ubisoft Montreal?! Those guys are my favorite. Hehe. I thought some nobody had this project.

Cameron's first movie was called Piranha."
UH, NO?!?!?!  SIR!!!!  Pirahna was directed by the great Joe Dante, known for his work with Gremlins and The Howling.  Even then...Pirahna does NOT suck!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.