AVATAR movie finally shown, people were BLOWN AWAY!

#1 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
(SPOILERS BE WARNED IF YOU CLICK THAT LINK)
Blogger talk about mind-blowing AVATAR recently unveiled at some big event

heres a few quotes from guys who twittered while watching it:

@gjkooijman: saw 40 minutes of James Cameron's Avatar footage at the Cinema Expo tonight. THIS WILL CHANGE MOVIES FOREVER. Trust me, it will.

@NafRas: OMG keep this in mind James Cameron's AVATAR this Dec. it's gonna rock the way u see movies! Preview @ cinema expo leaves me wanting more

@UCSNord: Footage from "Avatar" at #cinexpo was stunning, literally jawdropping. Amazing visuals unlike any before seen, with incredible detail.

@UCSNord: The screening room was packed, I'd say about 1500 to 2000, around there. Genuine excitement and an amazed crowd.

so it seems the main thing that everyone there agreed one was the fact that every shot looked so real, they had to forcefully remind themselves "nah, its gotta be CG because nothing like that actually exists". These are the only two shots people could manage to get. very small and poor quality o well. they look beautiful though. 

[EDIT FOR YOU MORONS! This is JAMES CAMERONS AVATAR, not M. NiGHT SMALAMADINGDONGS THE LAST AIRBENDER which based on that cartoon. This film's films entire plot has everything to do with the word AVATAR unlike that cartoon]
#2 Posted by Euge (108 posts) -

I see what you did there. I'll wait for Jonothan Ross to review it though.

#3 Posted by DuhQbnSiLo (2139 posts) -

I can careless about movie reviews, all i need to know if its crap, garbage, ok, good or great.....

#4 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

i think this movie might actually live up to the hype

#5 Posted by Rinkalicous (1339 posts) -
@TwoOneFive said:
" i think this movie might actually live up to the hype "
Everyone says that about every movie; that's why it's hype. Then it comes out and oop, no, it sucked. That's my pretty cynical opinion of the matter, anyway.
#6 Posted by RetroIce4 (4392 posts) -
@Rinkalicous said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
Everyone says that about every movie; that's why it's hype. Then it comes out and oop, no, it sucked. That's my pretty cynical opinion of the matter, anyway.
"
Lol. Yeah. That is what Hype is. I want to see it anyway.
#7 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I will wait to see it before I believe it.

#8 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -

I heard when you see the movie, Jesus returns.

#9 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

So, it's just as I expected.

#10 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

when was the last time any cartoon was made into a good movie?  it just doesn't happen

#11 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -
@kashif1 said:
" when was the last time any cartoon was made into a good movie?  it just doesn't happen "
wrong Avatar.
#12 Posted by Luke (1609 posts) -

Can't wait to finally see this in action and see what all the hoopla's about, especially after watching that painfully long/boring Press Conference @ E3 with James Cameron. 

#13 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -

I don't know if I want to see it.  After seeing him talk about the movie at E3 for 945689723456 min. all I want to say to him is "Shut the f**k up!  I don't care about your movie."

#14 Posted by Icil (727 posts) -
@DuhQbnSiLo said:
" I can careless about movie reviews, all i need to know if its crap, garbage, ok, good or great..... "
So, you're looking for a movie review, then?
#15 Posted by DuhQbnSiLo (2139 posts) -
@Icil said:
" @DuhQbnSiLo said:
" I can careless about movie reviews, all i need to know if its crap, garbage, ok, good or great..... "
So, you're looking for a movie review, then? "
more like just the rating
#16 Posted by cc23574 (665 posts) -

Wait, this is a movie?

#17 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

I saw the actual Avatar the last airbender trailer last night for trasnformers 2 and it was pretty good lets just hope M night shamylanadingdong doesn't fuck it up.

#18 Posted by TheHBK (5471 posts) -

Ok, this sounds great, but I am sure this movie will not be as good as the Cameron/Schwarzenegger team ups.  The Terminator, Terminator 2, True Lies, no way it can be better than those.

#19 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@Rinkalicous said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
"
i dunno. these guys were absolutely bewildered beyond belief by what they saw. the story alone sounds like a decent sci-fi movie, throw in this super state of the art, never before seen effects and wabam! you got yourself a kick ass movie. 

Besides this is the same guy who made Titanic (which you can hate on all you want, but fuck it, whenever its on i enjoy watching it, its a damn good film), True Lies, Aliens, Abyss, Terminator 2 etc etc etc
this movie will live up to the hype its gotten, and the recent BUZZ (there is a difference ya kno) from this event. 

@WilliamRLBaker said:
" I saw the actual Avatar the last airbender trailer last night for trasnformers 2 and it was pretty good lets just hope M night shamylanadingdong doesn't fuck it up. "
they dropped the name AVATAR for that film. so no its is NOT the actual avatar. and the truth is, this film has been in development long before the last airbender was ever thought of by its creators. That being said, it is a hell of a trailer, look dead on, not like that shitty as hell Dragonball Evolution. 
#20 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Also, people saying it's all hype, this is a James Cameron movie. He's the guy that brought us The Terminator, Aliens, Terminator 2 and Titanic. Those films are all 5 star classics and I have no reason to believe this won't be either.

#21 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@DuhQbnSiLo said:
isn't that exactly what those twitter quotes were?!!?!
#22 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" Also, people saying it's all hype, this is a James Cameron movie. He's the guy that brought us The Terminator, Aliens, Terminator 2 and Titanic. Those films are all 5 star classics and I have no reason to believe this won't be either. "
lol i said the same thing in the post right before yours. 
and yeah, i mean, everything James Cameron ever worked on was awesome, be it sci-fi or romance/drama etc. True Lies remains my all time favorite action-comedy. 
#23 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -

So, we have Avatar: The Last Airbender movie thing.
We have Avatar, the video game where you control slaves.
And now we have Avatar the movie.

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?!

#24 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -
@TwoOneFive said:

@WilliamRLBaker said:
" I saw the actual Avatar the last airbender trailer last night for trasnformers 2 and it was pretty good lets just hope M night shamylanadingdong doesn't fuck it up. "
they dropped the name AVATAR for that film. so no its is NOT the actual avatar. and the truth is, this film has been in development long before the last airbender was ever thought of by its creators. That being said, it is a hell of a trailer, look dead on, not like that shitty as hell Dragonball Evolution. 
"
And dropping the avater name means anything?
You sure are geting really pissy at people for confusing things when you should have been much clearer in your original post, as for that i was simply making a side statemnet that the last airbender i saw last night, it had nothing really to do with the topic at hand.

#25 Posted by RipTheVeins (1546 posts) -
@vidiot said:
" I heard when you see the movie, Jesus returns. "
no no no, that was The Dark Knight XP
#26 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11585 posts) -

I'm sorry if I am still cynical about this movie, but a few tweets from some overly excited individuals isn't going to sway me. Hype is usually wrong, and that's why I can't take it seriously. Wake me when it actually comes out in theaters, and then I might bother to play $9+ to see it if people that I know say that it's good.

#27 Posted by F1 (346 posts) -

Ever since Cameron talked about it at E3, I seriously can not wait to see this...

#28 Edited by vidiot (2737 posts) -

@CowMuffins said:
" So, we have Avatar: The Last Airbender movie thing.We have Avatar, the video game where you control slaves.And now we have Avatar the movie.WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?! "
I would like to vote on a resolution of not having the word "Avatar", be used for any future mass media products, of any kind.

@WilliamRLBaker said:
" @TwoOneFive said:

@WilliamRLBaker said:
"
And dropping the avater name means anything? You sure are geting really pissy at people for confusing things when you should have been much clearer in your original post, as for that i was simply making a side statemnet that the last airbender i saw last night, it had nothing really to do with the topic at hand. "

Just wanted to post a side comment. Has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

#29 Posted by Bigandtasty (3202 posts) -
@vidiot said:
@CowMuffins said:
" So, we have Avatar: The Last Airbender movie thing.We have Avatar, the video game where you control slaves.And now we have Avatar the movie.WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?! "
I would like to vote on a resolution of not having the word "Avatar", be used for any future mass media products, of any kind.
I second this motion.
#30 Posted by Keyser_Soze (1186 posts) -

Avatar, Avatar, Avatar!!!! There's too many Avatars and that's before I get to the monstrous creation I created on Xbox Live, who will always be MY AVATAR!!

#31 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@Keyser_Soze said:
" Avatar, Avatar, Avatar!!!! There's too many Avatars and that's before I get to the monstrous creation I created on Xbox Live, who will always be MY AVATAR!! "
Whatever, once this movie comes out, there will be only ONE Avatar. 
#32 Posted by insanejedi (655 posts) -

pshhhhh... movies....

#33 Posted by Agnogenic_delete (1034 posts) -

I don't have high hopes for this movie. :/

#34 Posted by Tireyo (6409 posts) -
@Agnogenic said:
" I don't have high hopes for this movie. :/ "
 I don't either.
#35 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I don't know why people think this is going to fail when everything indicates a success. Of course, it easily could tank but there's a lot of pros and very few cons at this point in time.

#36 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -

Hmm...

#37 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@WilliamRLBaker said:
" @TwoOneFive said:

@WilliamRLBaker said:
"
And dropping the avater name means anything? You sure are geting really pissy at people for confusing things when you should have been much clearer in your original post, as for that i was simply making a side statemnet that the last airbender i saw last night, it had nothing really to do with the topic at hand. "
pissy? dude you're the pissiest user on giantbomb.com. please.
and i'm sorry if i didn't title the thread "AVATAR (NOT THE LAST AIRBENDER) MOVIE FINALLY SHOWN. the movie is called  Avatar, so thats what the thread title is. end of story. 
#38 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" I don't know why people think this is going to fail when everything indicates a success. Of course, it easily could tank but there's a lot of pros and very few cons at this point in time. "
yeah. the cons are well. its being super hyped, its very secret so nobody has anything else to think of it except for the absurd amount of hype, all the talk is basically about how amazing the SFX are going to be. 

But when it comes down to it, the story in the film, so far, sounds pretty awesome and very cool for any sci-fi fans. The premise alone is enough to carry the movie, even if its not the best, the 3D is supposedly above and beyond anything 3D you've seen before, and the SFX are supposedly so real you cant tell its computerized, except for the fact that you know some things just cant possibly exist. Those points alone are enough for me say, yea this movie is going to rock.  really, the only cons i can't of are basically people making up shit like its going to bomb, only because we know so little about it and people get bored and what something messed up to happen.
#39 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@TwoOneFive said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" I don't know why people think this is going to fail when everything indicates a success. Of course, it easily could tank but there's a lot of pros and very few cons at this point in time. "
yeah. the cons are well. its being super hyped, its very secret so nobody has anything else to think of it except for the absurd amount of hype, all the talk is basically about how amazing the SFX are going to be. 

But when it comes down to it, the story in the film, so far, sounds pretty awesome and very cool for any sci-fi fans. The premise alone is enough to carry the movie, even if its not the best, the 3D is supposedly above and beyond anything 3D you've seen before, and the SFX are supposedly so real you cant tell its computerized, except for the fact that you know some things just cant possibly exist. Those points alone are enough for me say, yea this movie is going to rock.  really, the only cons i can't of are basically people making up shit like its going to bomb, only because we know so little about it and people get bored and what something messed up to happen.
"
To be fair, I could see the film bombing but not because of its quality but a lot of people are very genre specific when they see their films. You just need to look at this forum's response to Drag Me To Hell to see that if something defies their original expectations for a film, they instantly don't like it and this looks like it could be a bit too experimental for your average film goer. That's not to say it'll be some arthouse masterpiece but you just need to look at the fact that The Abyss didn't really do so well and that was also very conceptual.
#40 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

I thought you were talking about Night's Avatar movie becuase I didn't know Camaron was directing one. Any film Camaron directs is going to be amazing so I'll probably go out to see this.

#41 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
" @HandsomeDead said:

"
To be fair, I could see the film bombing but not because of its quality but a lot of people are very genre specific when they see their films. You just need to look at this forum's response to Drag Me To Hell to see that if something defies their original expectations for a film, they instantly don't like it and this looks like it could be a bit too experimental for your average film goer. That's not to say it'll be some arthouse masterpiece but you just need to look at the fact that The Abyss didn't really do so well and that was also very conceptual. "
Dude, once the trailers start rolling out, everyone is going to be talkin about it, and everyone will want to go see it. i doubt it looks so "experimental' too, it is, after all, a love story. the trailers won't have to rely on showcasing the FX like the Transformers 2 trailers did, because this entire movie is going to look amazing, so they can make the trailers entirely focused on the story. it is truly mind boggling why so many people flocked to see TF2 though. the trailers show nothin indicating a plot even exists, except that it will be filled with lots of big robots punching each other. 
#42 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@TwoOneFive said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
" @HandsomeDead said:

"
To be fair, I could see the film bombing but not because of its quality but a lot of people are very genre specific when they see their films. You just need to look at this forum's response to Drag Me To Hell to see that if something defies their original expectations for a film, they instantly don't like it and this looks like it could be a bit too experimental for your average film goer. That's not to say it'll be some arthouse masterpiece but you just need to look at the fact that The Abyss didn't really do so well and that was also very conceptual. "
dude, once the traielrs start rolling out, everyone is going to be talkin about it, and everyone will want to go see it. i doubt it looks so "experimental', it is, after all, a movie about a love story. 
"
But it's an interspecies love story set on an alien planet in the midst of a war based on the mining of resources. It won't appeal to the chick click romance crowd because it's in space, it won't appeal to the action crowd because of the love story, it might appeal to sci-fi fans but in general, it's not going to hit any direct target demographics.
#43 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

I don't watch the show, but I've seen a few episodes. Sure, there's like no Asian people, but that's Hollywood. From the teaser trailer, I'm impressed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.