Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Japan

Location » linked to 1351 games

Japan is an island country located in Eastern Asia and the Northwestern Pacific Ocean. In the video game industry, Japan has for a long time been one of the most important territories for the development and sale of video games.

Games set in modern Japan?

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By a_e_martin

I've recently become weirdly fascinated by Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed, but since it isn't coming out for another few months in the West (and possibly not at all in Europe), I was wondering if anyone could suggest any other similar games (that being action-adventury/RPG-ish games) set in modern Japan?

I already own most of the obvious ones, like the Persona games and Yakuza 3 & 4, but I'm looking for something new, preferably on PS3, (too soon for anything on PS4?), PS Vita, 3DS or PC.

EDIT 15/7/14: NIS America announced yesterday that Akiba's Trip is coming to Europe on October 10! Hooray!

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The World Ends With You might work, set in modern japan and is a 2d action rpg. I only played a little bit of it myself but it is pretty widely loved.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zella: I'd forgotten about that one, thanks for the tip! Will see if I can find it on the eshop.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman
    No Caption Provided

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If you have a PSP then Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble seems like the sort of game you are looking for.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If you have a PSP then Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble seems like the sort of game you are looking for.

That game looks pretty terrible, but man that's a great name.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The World Ends with You, known in Japan as It's a Wonderful World (すばらしきこのせかい Subarashiki Kono Sekai)

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Corevi

@fattony12000 said:

The World Ends with You, known in Japan as It's a Wonderful World (すばらしきこのせかい Subarashiki Kono Sekai)

Definitely this. There's also the Devil Survivor games which are set in Japan as an apocalypse is happening, and Shin Megami Tensei 4 which is post apocalypse (but you don't get to Tokyo for 5 or 6 hours, up to 10 hours depending on how much you mess around). SMT4 is also notable for having a completely accurate world map of Tokyo, so much that a lot of people recommend using a real map to navigate it.

World Ends With You isn't on the eshop because it's an original DS game, but it's on iOS and Android (you miss out on the dual screen gameplay though). Devil Survivor 1 is on the eShop as is SMT4.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By a_e_martin

@jjweatherman Yep, already got that one too, but thanks for reminding me!

@amatureidiot I don't have a PSP unfortunately, and looks like it's not on PSN either.

@fattony12000 Already got a tip for that, looking into it!

@corruptedevil I've been eyeing Shin Megami Tensei 4 since last year, but it hasn't come out in Europe yet, though it's supposedly coming out in the next few months or so.

EDIT: First post updated!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.