Looking for a cool game on Japanese history/mythology

#1 Posted by RainVillain (480 posts) -

Okami comes to mind, but I've played that already. There's also Genji, but I didn't like it.. 

Any other games set in Japan, be it historical or mythological Japan? 

I am also not against suggestions for games set in China (except Romance of the Three Kingdoms.. that series just looks too intense)

#2 Edited by SuperfluousMoniker (2906 posts) -
Muramasa? Not sure how much is made up specifically for the game, but it's very mythical feudal era Japanese.
#3 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Pocky & Rocky -- filled with Shinto spirits

#4 Posted by august (3825 posts) -

Shogun: Total War (US)
#5 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -

Muramasa kinda works... 

Samurai Warriors? That's the Sengoku Era. Simlar to the Three Kingdoms stuff. 
Sengoku Basara/Devil Kings. Although...that's very...different to actual history.
#6 Edited by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

You could import Yakuza Kenzan! if あなたは日本語をわかる。(you understand japanese XD )

#7 Posted by august (3825 posts) -

Also

#8 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -

Oh yes, Way of the Samurai? I believe there's a quicklook on site.
#9 Posted by heatDrive88 (2264 posts) -
#10 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

Way of the Samurai seems perfectly suited to your needs. The GB community serves once again!

#11 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@thehexeditor:  Haha, but yes.  Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan is a really cool game.  Insane that it didn't get brought over when Yakuza 4 is...
#12 Posted by RainVillain (480 posts) -
@thehexeditor: 少しわかる。。。大学で毎日勉強しています。おもしろいですが。。とてもむずかしいですね! 

Also, Muramasa I forgot to mention that I've played already. Thought it was lovely. Here's hoping the PSN/XBLA rumours turn out to be true. 

Samurai Warriors kinda looks like Dynasty Warriors, which, uh, I've never been a big fan of. 

Pocky & Rocky looks... kinda cool! But might not be what I'm looking for. Thanks though. 

Shogun Total War... nice. I'll look into this one, thanks :D
#13 Edited by RainVillain (480 posts) -

Just noticed the posts about Way of the Samurai. Word, will look out for that game at my local game store. Cookies for the GB community! 

(Though keep suggestions coming!) 

edit: Yakuza Kenzan looks neat.. though my Japanese in its current state is nowhere near strong enough to make out 90% of what they'd be saying.

#14 Posted by kingclaw (757 posts) -

#15 Posted by freshakiff (82 posts) -

Okami!

#16 Posted by MB (11894 posts) -

Giant Enemy Crab
#17 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -
@MB: Haha, I was waiting for someone to bring that up!
#18 Posted by kingclaw (757 posts) -
@MB said:
"
 Giant Enemy Crab
"
FUUUCK. Not fair I couldn't upload the video.
#19 Posted by buzz_clik (6892 posts) -
@MB said:
"
 Giant Enemy Crab
"
*laugh* First thing I did was come in here and, without scrolling, do a search for "enemy" on the page. Ding ding ding, winner!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.