Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Japan

Location » linked to 1346 games

Japan is an island country located in Eastern Asia and the Northwestern Pacific Ocean. In the video game industry, Japan has for a long time been one of the most important territories for the development and sale of video games.

This YouTube Archive of Japanese Game Commercials Is Amazing

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By bacongames

It would be a bit of understatement to say I get excited whenever I find cultural archives, especially ones of contemporary culture and doubly so to do with games. I've extolled the virtues of the Arcade Flyer archive before but today, after finding it many months ago and forgetting about it, I present to you a random YouTube channel that has an incredibly thorough compilation of video game commercials televised in Japan over the decades.

As a whole these commercials effectively tell the story of how video game hardware and software were marketed and presented to the Japanese viewing public, in particular the 1980s and 1990s although there's plenty from the 2000s as well. Individually, seeing a given game or franchise presented in the way that it is and/or seeing how its presentation changes over time is incredibly fascinating. And, for games I don't know or recognize it can be a fun time trying to figure out what that game is and often learn about games unreleased or obscure to the Western market. I think the best part and the strength of this collection is it's comprehensiveness. The commercials run the gamut from Japan's most famous and well known games and consoles to the most obscure and short-lived Japan-only shit and everything in-between.

For anyone that even has a remote interest in Japanese video games and the culture that makes them, this is definitely worth checking out. Below are the first two videos in the collection to give you a taste:

Chuncho_Munos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What was the game Takeshi Kitano was promoting? All he did was sing into it.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Gonna go get lost in that channel. If nobody hears from me for six months or so, you know what happened.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By bacongames

@ravenlight said:

Gonna go get lost in that channel. If nobody hears from me for six months or so, you know what happened.

Well I can say at least one other person fell into this hole with me and that's pretty alright.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.