Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

JASF: Jane's Advanced Strike Fighters

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 18, 2011

The first game to bear the Jane name in a decade, discarding the realism of the original Jane's Combat Simulation titles.

Holy shit a Jane's game

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mfpantst

Anyone have any intel on this game?  I remember being horrible at the Jane's games back in the day, would welcome the chance to be bad again.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SeriouslyNow

What confuses me is that Tom Clancy hasn't written any Jane's stuff in decades so I wonder whose material they've used as a basis for the technical veracity of this.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By deanoxd

i remember the first Janes fighter game i bought for PC came with a three ring flight manual that was several hundred pages long, i tried to play for a hour and never got no where in the game. That was the last time i played a Janes game.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By mfpantst
    @SeriouslyNow: Uhh- so I didn't know about the Tom Clancy Stuff, and I see now.  However, Jane's publishes aircraft and vehicle recognition guides fairly regularly.  Here's their corporate page to the book:  http://www.janes.com/products/janes/defence/air/all-the-worlds-aircraft.aspx  cost some $$ though so don't go buy it.  As far as I know Jane's games were always made off their books.  I had a friend whose dad worked in aerospace development with Jane's (back during the 97 anthology years) and he got the games and binders from Jane's as a perk.  Anyways, he also had the books Jane's made and the game was basically a game version of the books (the old games could be hooked into full size simulators)
    DMack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By DMack

Note that this game wasn't developed by EA like (all of?) the previous ones were. My understanding is that Janes had a contract with EA that expired in '02, and this new game is made by someone else. In other words, this isn't part of the "Janes Combat Simulations" franchise. (I think)

It looks kind of cheap, but I have hardly seen any media so far. I don't have high hopes for a 2011-ified version of ATF though. ATF was my jam in '94.

Why so little info on this when it's almost out already?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By mike

@SeriouslyNow said:

What confuses me is that Tom Clancy hasn't written any Jane's stuff in decades so I wonder whose material they've used as a basis for the technical veracity of this.

Jane's has been publishing technical manuals since decades before Clancy was even born. The same people that advise Clancy have probably written for Jane's.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if the extent of Jane's involvement in this game is their name.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Doctorchimp

The only thing I know is that I played the shit out of Jane's F/A - 18 when I was like 9.

Fuck yeah, I forgot all about how awesome that was.

Then I remember reading weird shit like 5 years ago about how that game marked the end of the flight sim genre...

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By mike

Tangentially related anecdote: I was just watching Clear and Present Danger for about the 437th time and noticed Jack Ryan pouring over encyclopedia-esque Jane's manuals in his office trying to figure out what caused the explosion in Colombia.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.