Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Jason Bourne

Character » appears in 1 games

Jason Bourne was originally a character in Robert Ludlum's "The Bourne Identity." Since he has gone to star in a major film trilogy, and recently in his own game "Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Conspiracy"

EA Gets Bourne

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff
    Electronic Arts announced today that it has struck an exclusive, worldwide, multi-year deal with Ludlum Entertainment to produce video games based on the works of author Robert Ludlum, which most notably includes the Jason Bourne series. As part of the announcement, EA revealed that it's already working on a Jason Bourne game with Swedish developer Starbreeze, best known for first-person awesomeness like The Chronicles of Riddick and The Darkness. Those crazy Swedes have a knack for producing rock-solid licensed games, and the Bourne fiction is arguably much stronger source material than what they've had to work with so far, so I feel pretty comfortable getting excited about this.

Of course, this isn't the first time the Bourne series has gotten the video-game treatment. Vivendi previously held this license, having picked it up back in 2005, though following the release of the flashy-but-short Bourne Conspiracy and Vivendi's subsequent Activision merger, it released the license back to Ludlum Entertainment late last year. At the time, the folks at Ludlum were gracious about being dropped, with CEO Jeffrey Weiner stating that "Our colleagues at Vivendi Games did a tremendous job of capturing the spirit and allure of Robert Ludlum's writing with The Bourne Conspiracy." Weiner dropped the pleasantries while talking to Variety about the switch from Vivendi to EA today, offering up praise for EA and scorn for Vivendi in one fell swoop by saying that “We're dealing with grown ups now.” Oh snap.
    Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff
    Electronic Arts announced today that it has struck an exclusive, worldwide, multi-year deal with Ludlum Entertainment to produce video games based on the works of author Robert Ludlum, which most notably includes the Jason Bourne series. As part of the announcement, EA revealed that it's already working on a Jason Bourne game with Swedish developer Starbreeze, best known for first-person awesomeness like The Chronicles of Riddick and The Darkness. Those crazy Swedes have a knack for producing rock-solid licensed games, and the Bourne fiction is arguably much stronger source material than what they've had to work with so far, so I feel pretty comfortable getting excited about this.

Of course, this isn't the first time the Bourne series has gotten the video-game treatment. Vivendi previously held this license, having picked it up back in 2005, though following the release of the flashy-but-short Bourne Conspiracy and Vivendi's subsequent Activision merger, it released the license back to Ludlum Entertainment late last year. At the time, the folks at Ludlum were gracious about being dropped, with CEO Jeffrey Weiner stating that "Our colleagues at Vivendi Games did a tremendous job of capturing the spirit and allure of Robert Ludlum's writing with The Bourne Conspiracy." Weiner dropped the pleasantries while talking to Variety about the switch from Vivendi to EA today, offering up praise for EA and scorn for Vivendi in one fell swoop by saying that “We're dealing with grown ups now.” Oh snap.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

I wish EA owned everything because then that would mean all games for all platforms and as a PC guy that is good for me!

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By canucks23

Hmmm... could be interesting. i wasn't that into the movies though.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By End_Boss

I can't even pretend to be excited to play a Jason Bourne game. The high-profile superspy schtick has been done.

A lot.

Avatar image for themikelguereca
    TheMikelGuereca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TheMikelGuereca

I hope they can capture in the fight sequences the shaky camera parts, it is what makes the Bourne.

AspiringAndy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AspiringAndy

Let's hope they do it well. I enjoyed the Bourne movies, it had its own vibe to it.
    Jason is just so brutal!

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By jeff

They need to find a way to get Matt Damon's likeness up in there. This whole "check out this guy who isn't Matt Damon because BOOKS!!!!!" thing is played.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Rowr

starbreeze, sweet.

Im feeling kind of done with bourne tho, maybe they can prove me wrong.

still probably no Matt Damon right?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeh but the Bourne films are by far the best ever made and the fighting style used would make for great combat.. Kali or Krav.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By LiquidPrince

Hope it's similar but improves everything.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cheapoz

Greatest oh snap! of the day goes to that guy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one that respects Matt for not wanting to be part of the game? Excuse me for being pissed but most movie games turn out to be shit so I don't blame him.

Destroyeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Destroyeron

Too bad most people hate the "grown ups" lol. Riddick and The Darkness were good games though, so at least its going to a solid studio.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187

Starbreeze + Bourne = FUCKING WIN!!!

Starbreeze + Bourne + Damon would = FUCKING MASSIVE WIN!
    JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JohnDudebro

Just as I like to pretend there was no James Bond after Sean Connery, I firmly believe that Matt Damon is the only true Jason Bourne. Anything else is unacceptable.

georgecletus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By georgecletus

Which bourne game will starbreeze roll out, I wonder (they could make a new bourne and it would still be insane in my opinion)

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By trulyalive

I don't care what any of you dogs said, I freaking like The Bourne Conspiracy. Guilty pleasure, yes, I admit. I probably wouldn't have played as much if I wasn't going for 1000Gs too, but I'm still enjoying it.
    However, Bourne as an FPS, like The Darkness doesn't sound too great to me (although I also loved The Darkness itself)
    Basically, I'm hella stoked. I love me some Bourne action and if they can include some levels based on The Bourne Supremacy (my favourite of the films) I'll be ready to buy it.
    My main issue with Conspiracy was actually how the cutscenes were so rushed that they didn't have the power of the lingering close-ups from the film. So less of those rushed cut-scenes, please.

Lilarcor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Lilarcor

So this is still separate from Project RedLime, right? Between that and the Riddick game, Starbreeze has a lot on its plate lately. I didn't realize that they were that big of a studio. Still, it's nice that at least some people in the games business are gettng work.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FlipperDesert
    PapaLazarou said:
    "Am I the only one that respects Matt for not wanting to be part of the game? Excuse me for being pissed but most movie games turn out to be shit so I don't blame him."
    He didn't want to be a part of it because he had concerns about the violence, so while I can accept he doesn't want to be involved, it's still a pretty dumb reason. I mean, he stabs someone in the hand with a pen in the Bourne Identity, I didn't even know that was physically possible with such a blunt object until that point in the film (no pun intended).

Hopefully the game can turn out to be pretty cool, I heard good things about Riddick so it's in good hands.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#20  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Too bad a lack of Matt Damon will ruin what would otherwise be a decent licensed game.

Avatar image for alucardalacarte
    AlucardaLaCarte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By AlucardaLaCarte

Snap indeed

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By maxszy

Some of the best Action movies today I thought. I love them. Never played the Bourne Conspiracy though.. the 4 hourish game made me turn away from it. If it ever gets down to 20 bucks or something used, I may hit that up.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MrKlorox

This sounds like it could be awesome. However Starbreeze seems to have it's ladle in a lot of pots at the moment with Riddick: Dark Athena, a new Syndicate, and now a Bourne game. I hope they're not spreading their creative talent too thinly.

Also, I'm guessing it will be in first person. Dice (also Swedish) seems to have proven first person acrobatics can work, so I could see Bourne's repertoire of close quarters combat might actually look good enough with that perspective. However I'd think EA would want to show off the badassness from a third person perspective. All I can say is that Scandinavia knows how to make a great FPS. Also, needs a fucking PC release.

So would the lack of Matt Damon even matter if it was in first person?

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Media_Master

sounds great!

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hatking

Maybe they could get the likness of Matt Damon now?  I'd be more willing to play it if they did.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheFreeMan

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm fine with the lack of Damon. While the guy in the game wasn't as good, he still looked the part okay enough and his voice was okay.

That being said, I enjoyed Conspiracy, so I'm looking forward to see what these guys come up with.

oobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By oobs

Matt damon refused to have his likeness in the conspiracy because of all the violence.....

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#28  Edited By Brackynews

In lieu of Matt Damon I will also accept a reasonable facsimile of Vin Diesel.
    AKA, make Riddick an unlockable, and you have my money.

tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tomance

Just put Pete Wanat on the game and they will be ace.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Totally awesome. I just hope this time around that Matt Damon agrees to let them use his likeness. Last time, he was all like "I do not support violence in video games! Only in movies! I want no part of this!", and that was totally stupid. Starbreeze has proven to be one heck of a fine company.

pedantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pedantics

The Darkness and Escape from Butcher Bay are fucking awesome - these guys will likely put together a killer Bourne game, especially since they're so adept at blending compelling storytelling with awesome action (also one of the great strengths of the films).

Unless an over-dependence quick time fucking events is part of the licensing agreement...

Thecookiejar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Thecookiejar

Free roaming splinter cell conviction type game. doubt it

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By Venatio

Starbreeze is an awesome swedish studio, Im glad that they are getting so much work, Im sure that they will make this Bourne game awesome

Lilarcor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By Lilarcor

The best part about this story (other than a better publisher getting the Bourne license) is that if EA loses the license and then gets it back later, the headline can just read "EA Gets Bourne Again". The pun writes itself!

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#35  Edited By giyanks22

I love the movies. The Conspiracy was repetitive, and I wish there was some multi player to it...
    Hopefully this'll be good.

Thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By Thunder

i hope this one is better then The Bourne Conspirecy

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Dude

His name is WEINER
    Sorry, had to get that out there.

Movies were good, but people don't seem to understand how much the movies sucked for a book movie. More then usual. Which is why I'm hoping they go by the books (as one assumes with the whole Ludlum, not Fox pictures or whoever had Bourne [I know it wasn't fox]) and what not and make a decent job of it.

"He didn't want to be a part of it because he had concerns about the violence, so while I can accept he doesn't want to be involved, it's still a pretty dumb reason. I mean, he stabs someone in the hand with a pen in the Bourne Identity, I didn't even know that was physically possible with such a blunt object until that point in the film (no pun intended)."
    Its hard enough with a sharp object o.o The hand is mostly bone and whatnot, so its a bit hard to stab it nicely.

pyromaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By pyromaniac

Its "made" by EA...well then I think we all know what we can expect out of this one...

8th_pacifist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By 8th_pacifist

If things carry on like this, EA will soon accumulate all video game licenses known to man, and fuelled by constant milking of their cash cows expand to absorb every other game company in the world. Eventually they will dominate all media on the planet, and then... the free market, the government, and THE WORLD!

All must kneel before the might of EA. Those who are cooperative may be spared in the coming revolution.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#40  Edited By ZombiePie

Well Starbreeze is pretty skilled when it comes to video game adaptations so maybe this game will be good.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#41  Edited By citizenkane

Sounds pretty awesome.  I can't wait to see what Starbreeze does with the Bourne franchise.

destro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By destro

I thought the first game was really good and fit the fast passed tone of the movies very well. Looking forward to these games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.