Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Jazzpunk

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Feb 07, 2014

Set in the year 1959.B, Jazzpunk tells the non-sequitur tale of secret agent Polyblank, who goes on missions in a bizarre, nonsensical world.

Is Jazzpunk a spiritual successor to Lego Island?

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By notdavid

I just finished Jazzpunk, and found it as delightful. Yeah, it's also a baffling nightmare of a fever dream. But it was super charming the whole way through. I was instantly reminded of how I felt while playing Lego Island as a kid. I doubt the surrealist undertones were as intentional as they were in Jazzpunk, but Lego Island's atmosphere was almost as unrelentingly strange.

Both are also first person adventure games without traditional stories, acting mostly as open world sandboxes of one-off jokes, and requiring no actual effort from the player. How much, if any, inspiration do you think the developers took from Lego Island?

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha I remember Drew playing Lego Island on one of the first UPFs. I guess I can see some similarities.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Pie

Huh, that is a pretty interesting comparison

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If by no effort you mean that I constantly struggle to maintain that this game is a part of my/anyone's reality, then I completely agree with you.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, that's exactly what I was thinking while watching that quick look. Everything in both of those games is designed to have something strange happen upon interaction.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played about half of the game so far and it screams Lego Island. It's all the fast stupid movements the characters make and the sound effects that go along with it, combined with the small-yet-packed environments and bright colors. Those are the reasons it seems similar to me, at least.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Very yes.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

I played a fair amount of Lego Island when I was younger, and now I'm even more interested in playing Jazzpunk at some point.

coopdegra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Man, i had the same exact thoughts when i was playing it, just like how everything just like gives you some sort of reaction trying to interact with it. Although Jazzpunk certainly lacks peoples limbs exploding off of them while they are talking.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Just hearing a comparison made between Jazzpunk and Lego Island makes me want Jazzpunk even more now.

Doskias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Doskias

Suddenly I want to spray a LEGO minifig with Eau De Pigeon and see LEGO birds carry his little LEGO head away.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

No effort from the player? HA, I remember chasing Brick for almost an hour trying to get the cops to catch him….I was really bad.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

I can see the resemblance, but Jazzpunk is a spiritual successor in absolutely every sense to Gravity Bone. It's a very direct substitution.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@coopdegra said:

Man, i had the same exact thoughts when i was playing it, just like how everything just like gives you some sort of reaction trying to interact with it. Although Jazzpunk certainly lacks peoples limbs exploding off of them while they are talking.

One could say that Jazzpunk is a more sedate, grounded, and realistic version of Lego Island.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That's an interesting comparison. From what I've seen of Jazzpunk, it's a good bit more linear in its progression, and it's not as difficult. But then, they share a randomness and surreality that does fit. Lego Island actually had some games in it that were a little more than what appears to be in Jazzpunk; so, Lego Island was like Jazzpunk plus a minigame collection. Jazzpunk has a hand up on Lego Island with a consistency and more concerted effort to create a weird experience.

I loved Lego Island back in the day, and while I'd consider it more of a "game-ass game" than what Jazzpunk appears to be, I can absolutely see the comparison. It's a real credit to both games, as it's rare to be that weird, funny, and unique.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.