Headboard

#1 Edited by DrFidget (215 posts) -

As some of you know Jeff has been an on again off again musician for some time. While his most recent work with Midnight Brown is easy to come by, some of his older stuff isn’t. Suburbanallstars.com was orphaned a few years back, but you can still find some of the songs in various corners of the internet.   What’s difficult to find is U.S. Pipe era Headboard online. Seeing as I just so happen to have a copy of Brendan Goes to College, I figured I would share. Hopefully the good people at “Mattress Disco Funk Labs” won’t mind the copyright infringement. 

I uploaded the whole album on youtube, and now present to you for your listening pleasure, Mattress Disco:

While I'm at it here's the front, back, and liner of the album. If you go full size you can read the liner notes. (Also there's an adorable picture of a tiny Alex Navarro on drums) 
So what do you guys think? Any other Headboard fans out there?
#2 Posted by Willin (1280 posts) -

That's really cool. I never heard much of US Pipe era Headboard even though I am a massive fan of both Midnight Brown and Suburban All-Stars. Can you upload the mp3's?

#3 Posted by Dauragon (554 posts) -

Hahha I've never heard of Headboard, this is pretty cool.

#4 Posted by DrFidget (215 posts) -
@Lights_Up_The_Shaft:  I don’t know if I’m ready to cross that line. I mean they did charge for these at some point and it looks like you can get hard copies on amazon. As much as I’d like to spread the wealth, I also don’t want to get banned for pirating the music of one of this sites founders.
#5 Posted by guiseppe (2840 posts) -

This is not my kind of music at all, but it is much better technically than Midnight Brown. Interesting to hear though :).

#6 Posted by gunslingerNZ (1903 posts) -

OH my god it's ska rock! Hahaha, that really wasn't what I expected. Not really a fan but this sort of music always reminds me of THPS 1 & 2.

#7 Posted by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -

I like this.

#8 Posted by Zylo (1 posts) -

Wow.

#9 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

That's shockingly really good.

#10 Posted by Yummylee (21622 posts) -

Catchy-sexy!...Though that's not a very appealing combo.

#11 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

Not bad.

#12 Edited by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -

Oh I remember hearing about this, never bothered to order it online. Maybe I should?

#13 Posted by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -

That is far from terrible, im legit impressed. Find a download for this, NOW!

#14 Posted by punkxblaze (2985 posts) -

This... This is really good. Like, really good. Hot -damn-.

#15 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I'm downloading that stuff dude 
it's awesome

#16 Posted by DrFidget (215 posts) -

Props to anyone who knows the original version of this song.

#17 Posted by natetodamax (19205 posts) -

Whoa...... that's pretty sweet!

#18 Posted by Pazy (2576 posts) -

This stuff owns, in fact I would say I prefer some of it to later Midnight Brown (although the first album kicks so much ass).

#19 Posted by RJPelonia (863 posts) -

Sick, man. Never heard these songs, though I recall Jeff and perhaps Alex talking about it before. Really digging what I'm hearing. Thanks for sharing it with us.

#20 Edited by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

I like one of the liner notes:

"...A few other lyrics from other songs are made reference to, but nothing to create a lawsuit over".

#21 Posted by DrFidget (215 posts) -
@RJPelonia:  Your welcome!
#22 Posted by Mattatoofeld19 (13 posts) -

Just got the album in the mail.. it's magnificent.

#23 Posted by rentfn (1279 posts) -

hahaha amazing cover of the  The Jim Carroll Band classic. I love it!

#24 Posted by Stonyman65 (2703 posts) -

Awesome.   kind of reminds me of older Dance Hall Crashers stuff, it has the girl singing and some ska stuff too. 

#25 Posted by DrFidget (215 posts) -
#26 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -

How did they go from this to midnight brown?

#27 Posted by Mmmslash (2168 posts) -

As a fan of SAS, but someone who hates Midnight Brown, this is the best thing I have heard all week.

#28 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@gunslingerNZ said:
" OH my god it's ska rock! Hahaha, that really wasn't what I expected. Not really a fan but this sort of music always reminds me of THPS 1 & 2. "
My exact thought process upon entering this thread. 

And Jeff sounds like a Beastie Boy.
#29 Posted by Chemin (632 posts) -

Ska/rock/hiphop, yes. Haha, awesome shit. :3

#30 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -

Are you people deaf?  It sucks hard.   

I really hope this site isn't a circle jerk like TGWTG.

#31 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

Headboard need to reform!

#32 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@teh_pwnzorer said:
" Are you people deaf?  It sucks hard. "
I actually like it, and no I'm not deaf. It's catchy.
#33 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @teh_pwnzorer said:
" Are you people deaf?  It sucks hard. "
I actually like it, and no I'm not deaf. It's catchy. "
Yeah! It's high energy beat. Feel good. Makes me picture summer days in California. I really like it.
#34 Edited by beej (1674 posts) -
@teh_pwnzorer said:

" Are you people deaf?  I think it sucks hard.    I really hope this site isn't a circle jerk like TGWTG. "

There, I went ahead and fixed your confusion between the subjective and the objective
#35 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -

I bet there's a Jeff Gerstman in another dimension that used to enjoy playing video games before his rap career blew up huge.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.