Hello Jeff, how come no host can pronounce your name correctly?

#1 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

Am I missing something? Is it some kind of running gag? Both Adam Sessler and Geoff Keighley pronounce your name Gertzmann. Why? It makes no sense. Please enlighten me.

#2 Edited by MattyFTM (14424 posts) -

I've never noticed it myself. But there is a history of people getting Jeff's name wrong. He was credited in the special thanks section of Guitar Hero 2 as "Jeff Gershman"

#3 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19377 posts) -

Gutsman

#4 Posted by EpicSteve (6495 posts) -

His name is straight-forward. I don't understand what's so hard.

#5 Posted by LaszloKovacs (1198 posts) -

I've noticed this too. Every time he's on GTTV I wind up yelling at my monitor. It's like dude it's written down right there just sound it out.

#6 Posted by Allprox (554 posts) -

I've only ever heard Geoff Keighley pronounce it wrong on the bonus round a few times and because of that I think he's a moron, but I haven't heard too many other people getting it wrong.

#7 Posted by jkz (4050 posts) -

Geoff Keighly started the "Gertzmann" thing, but Adam Sessler actually says is correctly (although he jokingly says Gertzmann quite frequently).

#8 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -

I have never really notices before.  His last name seems pretty straight forward.

#9 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Really Sessler does it too? That dude should totally know better. I hope he's being funny.

Keighley is blatantly unaware and repetitive about it though. He pronounces it with a hard TZ and has zero clue. If it is a joke, dude needs an acting career. And Jeff makes the same face when Kessler says something stupid, so he's not aware of any joke.

#10 Posted by Darkstar614 (1098 posts) -

I think Geoff Keighley does it on purpose, but there's no way to tell what the hell that guy is thinking most of the time. It's like he lives his life in fast-forward, never pausing to let a running joke sink in or anything.

Adam Sessler I don't know.... He's like on the road to becoming the next Gary Busey.

#11 Posted by eroticfishcake (7787 posts) -

It's actually pronounced as "Kohler". Get it right people!

#12 Posted by pbhawks45 (737 posts) -

What's with the hate for Keighley? He's one of the better video game journalists around.

#13 Edited by Gav47 (1542 posts) -
@pbhawks45 said:

" What's with the hate for Keighley? He's one of the better video game journalists around. "

He's a presenter not a journalist.
#14 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Wow. I just watched a G4 "Gerstmann-gate" clip and even Kevin Pereira called him Gertzmann. This was well after Jeff co-hosted with him that week of TSS (or was it actually AOTS then). I also saw one with Sessler and he mispronounced it as well. I really thought they both knew better.

Somebody needs to make a montage.

#15 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3079 posts) -

How would you pronounce Geff Jerstmann? Because they spell Jeff "Geoff" sometimes, right? Jeff has one of those names wheer you can swap the first two letters around without a whole lot of difference.

#16 Posted by Castiel (2705 posts) -

Cause they are DICKS! O_O 

OH YEAH! 

I WANNA ROCK RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I'm terrible sorry (bows head in shame).

#17 Posted by Zajtalan (1163 posts) -

I have to mention this.........Brad mispronouncing Rasputia

#18 Edited by luce (4045 posts) -

When I read the thread title i was sounding different pronunciations of "Jeff" in my head

JEEF...JEYF...JIFE

#19 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

Adam Boyes also called you Gertzmann to your face in the TNT. What a hell!

#20 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

Wow he actually said Gerstmann after making a little joke about it in the beginning of the show. It seems somebody finally told him.

Of course, in the narration he still said Gertzmann. What a hell!

#21 Posted by Zithe (1045 posts) -
@Grissefar:  What a hell indeed, George.
#22 Edited by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -
@Allprox said:

" I've only ever heard Geoff Keighley pronounce it wrong on the bonus round a few times and because of that I think he's a moron, but I haven't heard too many other people getting it wrong. "

Don't worry! Keighley is a moron, anyway. 

Dude is a fucking tool.
#23 Posted by Deranged (1856 posts) -

Jeff is too much of a badass. But seriously, I think Geoff was just messing with him. They do have a history on the Bonus Round(Jeff being probably the only reason I watch it).

#24 Posted by DonPixel (2604 posts) -
@Grissefar said:
" Am I missing something? Is it some kind of running gag? Both Adam Sessler and Geoff Keighley pronounce your name Gertzmann. Why? It makes no sense. Please enlighten me. "
Outrageous I know. 
#25 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -
@GetEveryone said:
" @Allprox said:
" I've only ever heard Geoff Keighley pronounce it wrong on the bonus round a few times and because of that I think he's a moron, but I haven't heard too many other people getting it wrong. "
Don't worry, Keighley is a moron, anyway. 

Dude is a fucking tool.
"
Grr please go elsewhere with that shit, dick. Geoff deserves better than that.

@Zithe said:
" @Grissefar:  What a hell indeed, George. "

Nice shot, right Zach?
#26 Edited by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -
@Grissefar said:

"Grr please go elsewhere with that shit, dick. Geoff deserves better than that."

I read that as shit-dick, but I'm happy you used the comma correctly.

Geoff is an asshole, and only cemented that with his antics in the AngryJoe interview (not to say that AngryJoe isn't also an asshole).

I really didn't like the way he conducted himself then, or indeed, ever. Guy is smarmy, man.
#27 Posted by Gabriel (4076 posts) -
@GetEveryone said:
" @Grissefar said:

"Grr please go elsewhere with that shit, dick. Geoff deserves better than that."

Geoff is an asshole, and only cemented that with his antics in the AngryJoe interview (not to say that AngryJoe isn't also an asshole).

I really didn't like the way he conducted himself then, or indeed, ever. Guy is smarmy, man.
"
Yeah he's kinda an asshole but I like that about him, I've seen him ask some real hard hitting questions no one else would ask.
#28 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" Somebody needs to make a montage. "
Even rocky had a montage!
#29 Posted by Nasar7 (2767 posts) -

His last name sounds German to me, so in that case everyone is mispronouncing it. Should G-AIR-ST-mahn.

#30 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Nasar7:  That's Yeff Ghairst-mahn
#31 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -
@luce said:
" When I read the thread title i was sounding different pronunciations of "Jeff" in my head   JEEF...JEYF...JIFE "
Oh god what a dipshit
#32 Posted by Nasar7 (2767 posts) -
@MrKlorox: True, true. Good DJ name, come to think of it. DJ Yeff.
#33 Posted by Ezekeilpurger (322 posts) -
@MrKlorox: That made me laugh way too hard, carry on.
#34 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -
@GetEveryone said:
" @Grissefar said:

"
Shitdicks and assholes everywhere. That's just gay. Literally.
#35 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -
@Grissefar: As well as having nothing worthwhile to say, Grissefar is an admitted homophobe.

Good stuff, pal.
#36 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -
@GetEveryone said:
" @Grissefar: As well as having nothing worthwhile to say, Grissefar is an admitted homophobe.

Good stuff, pal.
"
Or maybe you're drawing conclusions.

Anyways, I'm sorry for making the shitdick joke, I just couldn't resist and I didn't realize you would actually take the gay part personally.
#37 Edited by benjaebe (2783 posts) -
@Gav47 said:

" @pbhawks45 said:

" What's with the hate for Keighley? He's one of the better video game journalists around. "

He's a presenter not a journalist. "
No, pretty sure he's a journalist. He's written some really great, in-depth pieces too for a variety of print and online outlets. Look at his work with Valve behind the scenes on The Final Hours of Half-Life 2 or The Final Hours of Portal 2.
I've always liked Keighley because of his writing and because he was one of the more vocal people when that whole "Mass Effect" sex scandal thing came about.
#38 Posted by DystopiaX (5352 posts) -

I've always found Geoff's hosting to be a bit awkward, especially in the latest Bonus Round with Jeff. Something about the questions he's asking and the way he's asking them just made me feel a bit uncomfortable.

#39 Posted by Lelcar (745 posts) -
@benjaebe said:
I've always liked Keighley because of his writing and because he was one of the more vocal people when that whole "Mass Effect" sex scandal thing came about. "
Exactly. That's why I like him too. And yeah, he's definitely a journalist, and a good one too.

It seems like there's always a hate on for videogame personalities who are on more of the showbiz side than the website side, like Adam Sessler and Geoff Keighley. But they're both dedicated journalists who know their stuff and are passionate about videogames. I also thought that Part 1 of this last Bonus Round was pretty good. Jeff put forth some great answers.
#40 Posted by JEC03 (919 posts) -

I can't stand Keighley he seems like a phony.

#41 Posted by supercubedude (459 posts) -

I think it's just because the ways your mouth moves to make the 's' and 't' sounds are similar, so you're mind and mouth just do what's most comfortable which it putting the 't' first.

#42 Posted by Gav47 (1542 posts) -
@benjaebe: I wasn't familiar with Keighley's journalistic skills 8 months ago and probably never would never have been if it weren't for the release of his recent iPad app. But point taken.
#43 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

I used to pronounce it gertsmann. Just read it wrong the first time and never bothered to really "read" it again, until it was pointed out to me.

#44 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

2 or 3 out of a lifetime of people have been able to get my name right. When I visited Whiskey Media, they didn't even try to pronounce my last name, so good on them. At least people get Jeff's name somewhere in the right ballpark. Interesting fact, I can't pronounce J sounds, so I call Jeff Seff instead, so maybe I'm not one to point out other's faults.

#45 Posted by Zero_ (1977 posts) -

It's Jeff Gutsman.

#46 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:
" I've always found Geoff's hosting to be a bit awkward, especially in the latest Bonus Round with Jeff. Something about the questions he's asking and the way he's asking them just made me feel a bit uncomfortable. "
This is exactly what I meant. There is something very weird about the way he presents himself, and it makes for uncomfortable viewing at the best of times.

Someone mentioned that his articles are of a pretty high-quality, though, so I might give them a look out.

@Grissefar: Not personally, dude. I just don't think in 2011 that those kind of insults fly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.