Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Joe Danger

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Jun 08, 2010

Joe Danger stars the titular stuntman as he rides his motorcycle through over sixty levels in an attempt to stage a comeback and regain his former glory.

Joe Danger broke even on Day 1 (XBLA a "slaughterhouse"?)

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mosdl

Link: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbla-a-slaughterhouse-for-small-devs 

Murray's figures showed that 47 per cent of XBLA games sold less than 25,000 copies, 23 per cent sold around 100,000 copies, 13 per cent 200,000 copies and 17 per cent over 200,000 copies.

Murray said Joe Danger broke-even on day one and shifted 50,000 copies on PSN during its first week.

I do wish he gave a PSN breakdown like he did for XBLA.  And Joe Danger was developed by 4 people, wow.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I think it very much depends on the game.  Joe Danger was hyped quite a bit, I'm fairly sure it would have sold just as well, if not better on XBLA.
    Lesser known titles, particularly bad ones are obviously not going to sell as well, but the same is true of anything in general.

CowboyBebopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By CowboyBebopper

This isn't a very big surprise considering how much crap there is on XBLA. For every Geometry Wars there's a dozen or so craptastic titles.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mosdl
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " I think it very much depends on the game.  Joe Danger was hyped quite a bit, I'm fairly sure it would have sold just as well, if not better on XBLA. Lesser known titles, particularly bad ones are obviously not going to sell as well, but the same is true of anything in general. "
    I hadn't heard much about it until the quick look.
    mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mesoian

It's true. XBLA is a lot more of a competitive marketplace than PSN. Personally, I think more success stories like these need to be publicized; the PSN library could stand to be beefed up dramatically.  It also doesn't help that PSN exclusives usually receive little to no advertising. What was the last major exclusive PSN release? Shatter?

The Summer of arcade deal is a good example of what Sony needs to start doing for their online marketplace to be taken a lot more seriously.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By SteamPunkJin

I don't really get what he's driving at - do you need a publisher to put a game on the LIVE Marketplace? Seems to me they could have gotten away with it under the indies section. Mostly he's just talking sales numbers - and I don't see the relationship between PSN and XBLA in terms of these numbers, unless he's getting at the fact that PSN has less games online? (and I wouldn't know, not trying to flame). It seems to me that while yes, the XBLA is flooed w/ crap, the stand outs still do quite well (although Danger Joe looked a LOT like Trial HD again I wouldn't know).

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @mosdl said:

I do wish he gave a PSN breakdown like he did for XBLA.  And Joe Danger was developed by 4 people, wow. "

Yeah, I'd also like to see a similar PSN breakdown. I would just assume that Joe Danger's numbers were in the higher end of the spectrum as the game looked awesome and drummed up a lot of hype for being awesome.

I'm also assuming that if it was released on XBLA it would've sold as many copies over there too, if not more.
    Looking at those numbers, if 53% of games move 100,000 plus I'm pretty confident that Joe Danger would at least be in that top half.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @mosdl said:

" @WinterSnowblind said:

" I think it very much depends on the game.  Joe Danger was hyped quite a bit, I'm fairly sure it would have sold just as well, if not better on XBLA. Lesser known titles, particularly bad ones are obviously not going to sell as well, but the same is true of anything in general. "
    I hadn't heard much about it until the quick look. "
    Which again, gave it a fair amount of praise.
    I'd pin it in the same category as 'Splosion Man, or Castle Crashers.

Not the same kind of hype as something like Halo gets, but word of mouth among gamers spreads, and the games end of doing very well.
    Both of these titles on XBLA sold well over 50,000 copies, and I think it would be very interesting to see what this guys list of "most games that sell under 25,000" are. 

Because I'd be willing to be the majority of them are the shovelware that's thrown out every week.
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mosdl
    @SteamPunkJin said:
    " I don't really get what he's driving at - do you need a publisher to put a game on the LIVE Marketplace? Seems to me they could have gotten away with it under the indies section. Mostly he's just talking sales numbers - and I don't see the relationship between PSN and XBLA in terms of these numbers, unless he's getting at the fact that PSN has less games online? (and I wouldn't know, not trying to flame). It seems to me that while yes, the XBLA is flooed w/ crap, the stand outs still do quite well (although Danger Joe looked a LOT like Trial HD again I wouldn't know). "
    I would say PSN gets less new titles than XBLA does each week, and perhaps (my opinion here) less crap also.

PSN has less ways to advertise new games though, plus XBLA has the try and buy approach that I would assume should help sales which PSN doesn't have (well, PSN Plus will I think?)
    thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By thebeast

Before XBLA and PSN, this sort of exposure for indie developers was just impossible - these marketplaces have done so much to bring new game developers and their games to the industry, to write either off because one is more competitive than the other seems particularly odd to me. Exposure is exposure isn't it?

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mosdl
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @mosdl said:

" @WinterSnowblind said:

I hadn't heard much about it until the quick look. "
    Which again, gave it a fair amount of praise. I'd pin it in the same category as 'Splosion Man, or Castle Crashers.  Not the same kind of hype as something like Halo gets, but word of mouth among gamers spreads, and the games end of doing very well. Both of these titles on XBLA sold well over 50,000 copies, and I think it would be very interesting to see what this guys list of "most games that sell under 25,000" are.   Because I'd be willing to be the majority of them are the shovelware that's thrown out every week. "
    I would love to see Sony/MS survey people how they heard about the game and what made them buy it.  Is it word of mouth or is it reviews on websites (Joe Danger was well reviewed) or just the price point.
    mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By mesoian
    @SteamPunkJin: You can self publish, but at the same time, there's a reason why most people present themselves to Microsoft in order to have publishing costs covered. When you have 1 or 2 people developing, 10,000 - 50,000 copies sold at 10 bucks a pop - 30% for M$'s hosting fee can keep a business floating, whether you're paying for publishing or not. But if you employ 20-50 people, then you start getting into the problem of having enough money to keep people fed, and any little bit helps. In the grand scheme of things, even 125,000 dollars isn't that much money
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AuthenticM

There are a lot more games on the 360 marketplace, and thus, more shitty games. The reason there are more "better" games on the PS3 is because of the higher development cost. Sony can then select more quality games to put on their system.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mosdl
    @AuthenticM said:
    " There are a lot more games on the 360 marketplace, and thus, more shitty games. The reason there are more "better" games on the PS3 is because of the higher development cost. Sony can then select more quality games to put on their system. "
    Why would PS3 development cost more?
    Carlsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Carlsen

Braid was developed by one guy, and sold shit loads on XBLA.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mosdl
    @TheBeast said:
    " Before XBLA and PSN, this sort of exposure for indie developers was just impossible - these marketplaces have done so much to bring new game developers and their games to the industry, to write either off because one is more competitive than the other seems particularly odd to me. Exposure is exposure isn't it? "
    I remember shareware floppies at computer conventions back in the day.  How far we have come.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryanwho

More people should be keying into XBLA. For whatever reason, specific genres have been completely ignored there as if people are only willing to buy "snack" games on XBLA.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Gabriel

Apparently Joe Danger - awarded 8/10 on Eurogamer - was dismissed routinely by publishers, with Hello Games receiving put-downs such as, "Name me one popular game with motorbikes," and, "Can Joe be a monkey? We like monkeys." 

Ah Don't you love focus groups and marketing, how would a monkey Increase sales?
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By ProfessorEss

So after posting, and doing some work (as I'm supposed to be doing) I went and read the article to clarify the use of "slaughterhouse" but I don't quite get what he's saying?

He says himself that (approx.) 50% sell less than 25,000 and 50% sell over 100,000. By these numbers it seems he didn't consider Joe Danger to have the potential to be within the top 50%? I would've thought that game would easily fall into the top 25%.

Am I the only one confused by the article?
    Am I the only one who feels his numbers, combined with the quality of Joe Danger don't add up to his reasoning for passing on XBLA? 
    Lack of confidence? Something I'm missing? Or a poorly made decision?

(edit: His numbers also don't account for any games selling between 25,000 and 100,000? So now I'm even more confused)

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
    deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gabriel said:
    "

Apparently Joe Danger - awarded 8/10 on Eurogamer - was dismissed routinely by publishers, with Hello Games receiving put-downs such as, "Name me one popular game with motorbikes," and, "Can Joe be a monkey? We like monkeys." 

Ah Don't you love focus groups and marketing, how would a monkey Increase sales? "
    i like the monkey idea. 
    =(
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Spoonman671

I'm a bit surprised that a game that sells 50k "copies" for $15 only breaks even when it was developed by only 4 dudes.

EDITl: Stupid me.  Broke even on day one, 50k in first week.  Nevermind.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mosdl
    @Spoonman671 said:
    " I'm a bit surprised that a game that sells 50k "copies" for $15 only breaks even when it was developed by only 4 dudes. "
    It sold 50k in the first week but broke even on the first day.

Lets say it sold 30k the first day - that is $450k.  Say the game was developed over a year, $100K per employee (wage, health benefits, office costs, etc) and that works out.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xyzygy

XBLA is just a more competitive marketplace, as someone has already pointed out. Competition is good. 

Either way, the game would have sold the same amount if it was released on the 360 (which there may even be a possiblity)

Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bluethunder35

Sadly, there seems to be a lot of exclusive crap on XBLA. The only exclusive games there that interest me at this time are 'Splosion Man, Shadow Complex, Outrun Online Arcade and P.B. Winterbottom. There seems to be an endless number of  shmups, RTS, puzzle games of many colors and re-heated games, stuff I don't want or care for. Shadow Complex was the only game that wowed me in the same way Flower did. 

PSN has the stronger exclusive line-up to me, even if it might be smaller. Joe Danger, echochrome, Flower, Shatter, Pixel Junk Shooter, Critter Crunch, Wipeout HD and Super Stardust HD are among the best. There's also a lot of other stuff I'd like to try like Magic Orbz, Family Feud, Cuboid and that racing game with the Mini Coopers. 

The big problem with PSN: very few games have demos. Well, better than the Wii and their no demos. There should be demos for every PSN game so we can try before we buy. That's what I love about XBLA. You can try them all before you buy. They need to change that policy and issue demos for all PSN games. It can help immensely.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mosdl

Original article with comments from publishers who didn't want to publish the game: link

"We want games that are less about fun right now"

wtf?

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ozzdog12
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    couldnt have said it any better myself
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mosdl
    Joystiq has some more details.

"The result is a game that recouped its meager development budget on the first day and has since earned ten times that much for the tiny company, whose principal expense, Murray said, is two years of beans on toast. "
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By jkz
    I feel like there's a far higher percentage of XBLA that's made up of total and utter shit. That likely skews the numbers, because PSN has more concentrated, quality titles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.