Why is SportsFriends floundering?

#1 Posted by UncleBenny (450 posts) -

Or is that supposed to be "Why Are SportsFriends Floundering"? Meh.

Are there really so little interest for the SportsFriends package? Seriously, guys, even if there Joust doesn't look that interesting to you, the other three games (BaraBariBall, Hokra, and Super Pole Assholes) all look super interesting and has the potential (probably) to be massively entertaining.

I find it super odd that this project hasn't gotten funded yet, and there are only 4 days left. Is it because the whole "using Kickstarter to fund video game development" ship has finally sailed, and that anyone who tries to raise money for interesting mechanics are just shit out of luck?

I would really like to see this project succeed, because I think much like Cards Against Humanity, these games will be fun to play with your friends, and you'll feel less like an asshole afterwards. C'mon, it's only $15, that's like... $15. fuck.

Pleeeeeeease check out the SportsFriends kickstarter, I would really like to see these games succeed.

Except Super Pole Assholes, because I hate Bennett Foddy for being the asshole that created QWOP.

I would still like to see SportsFriends succeed though...

#2 Posted by EVO (3920 posts) -

Local multiplayer is dead, at least for me it is. I could never get enough friends together to play those games.

#3 Posted by StarvingGamer (8380 posts) -

No one owns Move controllers

#4 Posted by darkvare (771 posts) -

i don't play video games on local multiplayer anymore everytime i hang out with my friends is either to get drunk and watch movies or go to the movie theater and then get drunk we only play games with online multiplayer

#5 Posted by SpaceRunaway (870 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

This, sadly. I think that generally, the people that own move controllers may not be the people who would be excited about JS Joust. And then there are people like me, who don't have the foresight to think that, despite not having move controllers now, maybe I'd like to try this game in the future.

#6 Posted by LiquidS (971 posts) -

@EVO said:

Local multiplayer is dead, at least for me it is. I could never get enough friends together to play those games.
#7 Edited by awesomeusername (4218 posts) -

Because I don't own a Move and I can't just throw my money away (anymore). As much as I'd like to play that Joust game, I won't buy 2+ Moves for it.

#8 Posted by mosespippy (4286 posts) -

For me it's because I am opposed to crowd funding a game that is supposedly going to be published by the Sony Indie Pub Fund. If Sony wants to publish it then they should pay for it with the fund that is designed to fund these sorts of things. Instead they are cheaping out and making consumers buy something before it's even completed. If it was being pushed as an indie published game than I'd be OK with crowd funding it, but it's Sony doing the publishing. I'm not OK with crowd funding a Sony game.

#9 Posted by UncleBenny (450 posts) -

I guess I should have phrased this as "why aren't you supporting SportsFriends" on kickstarter... man, but some of those other games, and tenneeeees....

#10 Posted by Thoseposers (788 posts) -

I'm not supporting it because i don't like anything about JS Joust so i'd like it to just die away. Hokra however would be nice to see on its own somewhere else for a small price. And the other two games are both "meh"

#11 Posted by CaptainCody (1508 posts) -

I don't understand how they need 150k to fund this.

#12 Posted by BlackLagoon (1457 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

For me it's because I am opposed to crowd funding a game that is supposedly going to be published by the Sony Indie Pub Fund.

...except it isn't. All Pub Fund games are self-published by the developers - that's the whole point of the program. What it does is grant the developers certain benefits and financial incentives, but only after Sony has the completed PS3 games in hand and they have passed QA.

@CaptainCody said:

I don't understand how they need 150k to fund this.

None of them have any experience with the PS3, or own PS3 devkits. The money is mostly to hire a licensed PS3 developer to port the games, and though they also plan to polish and improve the games themselves.

#13 Edited by DevWil (842 posts) -

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM BEING A JERK.

STEPS TO NOT BEING A JERK:

1. BACKING SPORTSFRIENDS
  2. NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT SONY, AS YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THESE WITHOUT A PS3
  3. BANKING ON PS MOVE CONTROLLERS BEING CHEAP OR WII REMOTE SUPPORT BEING ADDED FOR THE PC/MAC VERSION
  4. BACKING SPORTSFRIENDS FOR HOW INCREDIBLE THE NON-JS JOUST GAMES LOOK
  5. ADMITTING THAT HOKRA AND BARABARIBALL ARE PARTICULARLY COMPELLING
  6. Writing in all-capital letters only when it is appropriate.

Edit: I will admit that their seeming unwillingness to entertain online multiplayer or A.I. (only for the appropriate games, of course) is perhaps unfortunate.

#14 Posted by Salarn (465 posts) -

As a backer, I supported it not because I want any of the games personally, but simply because I want the games to be made and released.

The reward to $ amount is weak in this project, and the target goal is very high, higher than what I would budget for what they are looking to do.

#15 Posted by Heartagram (1182 posts) -

I have no interest in Move. I really don't want to waggle things to play a game. I don't need to point my controller like a gun in FPS games either. = / If there were more cool games out for it that were developed for it maybe I'd be more interested.

Also I don't really know anyone that likes Video Games other than myself. The ones I do know only really play big stuff like COD,AC, and Madden.

#16 Posted by Bob_Loblaw (111 posts) -

I have backed because all the games look like a blast and I'm one of the small proportion that has a couple of move controllers gathering dust.

Hearing how the pub fund works I wonder if the Die Gute Fabrik guys sprung for this model to retain the IP for themselves rather than having Sony fund the whole thing in return for control of future games? I honestly can't believe Sony wouldn't have offered the £150k for converting to a PSN title especially since it could shift some hardware for them too.

It would be a real shame not to get a chance to try out all the games in the package though.

#17 Posted by Kidavenger (3582 posts) -

I have a move and I have no interest in this game, it may look fun watching people fool with it on the internet, but I imagine the reality of it is much more of a 5 minute "that was neat, and I never need to do that again" type of experience.

They should be targeting this at museums/science centres, make a little Sony exhibit/station out of it.

#18 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

I really want to play Tennes, but have little to no interest in the rest of the games.

But if this was a kickstarter for Tennes and Nidhogg in one pack....

#19 Posted by djou (877 posts) -

JSJ looks like a lot of fun but its not a game I would play in my apartment with my current game setup. My PS3 is not for local multiplayer. I don't even own a move and don't plan to get one for this game.

I seriously considered backing them anyway since I want to support the developers, liked Where Is My Heart, and buy all types of indie games I never play, but its shocking to me that Sony is not ponying up the money to develop this game. I imagine they'll need a more money than the $150K they are kickstarting but if Sony is willing to put money behind a piece of shit like Wonderbook they should throw these guys a few bones if they actually had faith in it.

Maybe DGF want to self finance and keep their IP but I don't see many options for them other than the PS3 since there's no way to port the game to other systems since you can't use a move on the PC.

#20 Posted by iAmJohn (6128 posts) -

@Thoseposers said:

I'm not supporting it because i don't like anything about JS Joust so i'd like it to just die away.

I keep trying to wrap my mind around this statement but I can't.

#21 Edited by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

No one want to but a move for this game? also local mp is a dying breed

#22 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Morbid_Coffee said:

I really want to play Tennes, but have little to no interest in the rest of the games.

Agreed. Tennes and Nidhogg would be the power tag-team that could save the world.

#23 Posted by BelligerentEngine (348 posts) -

@UncleBenny said:

I would still like to see SportsFriends succeed though...

Nope fuck those guys!

#24 Posted by BlackLagoon (1457 posts) -

@djou said:

Maybe DGF want to self finance and keep their IP but I don't see many options for them other than the PS3 since there's no way to port the game to other systems since you can't use a move on the PC.

I expect Sony sees the Kickstarter as a test of the game's commercial viability - if they can't raise enough interest to get funded, then it's unlikely the finished product will do much better.

And the Move is just a Bluetooth device, all it needs is a driver and it'll work fine with other platforms. In fact, the development version of Joust is currently running on a Mac, and it and the other games will be getting PC, Mac and Linux versions after a brief PS3 exclusivity period.

#25 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -
@StarvingGamer

Wrong, I don't have the numbers on me but I think they sold a lot.
#26 Posted by WilliamHenry (1204 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@StarvingGamer

Wrong, I don't have the numbers on me but I think they sold a lot.

Apparently not enough.

#27 Posted by laserbolts (5331 posts) -

joust seems like a pretty boring game and i dont pay money unless im getting something from it. Not just a promise.

#28 Posted by CrazyBagMan (849 posts) -

@Thoseposers said:

I'm not supporting it because i don't like anything about JS Joust so i'd like it to just die away.

So you don't like friends, local multiplayer, physical interaction with other humans, video games, music, playstation, PS move controllers or fun? I think that's most of it, let me know if I missed anything.

#30 Posted by Generiko (445 posts) -

because everyone got pissed at seeing the same image for every JSJ article

#31 Edited by mlarrabee (2993 posts) -

I don't WANT to see JSJ on PS3.

When I heard about a small group of friends writing some code that let you throw your MacBook and Move controllers in a bag and play a party game wherever, I thought it was fantastic.

Not tied-to-your-console-fantastic, and not 150-thousand-dollars-fantastic.

#32 Edited by eskimo (477 posts) -

Because Joust is the only one people have heard of and it's not really a video game.

It also feels like they're trying to coast on their indie cred, which means very little to most people.

#33 Edited by Soapy86 (2634 posts) -

@EVO said:

Local multiplayer is dead

This...

@StarvingGamer said:

...and this.

Also, because I've always thought that Joust thing looks like boring non-game hipster shit.

#34 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3882 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

This for me. I would never play this game.

#35 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@Morbid_Coffee said:

Agreed. Tennes and Nidhogg would be the power tag-team that could save the world.

Can you guys link me to something about Tennes?

I have no idea what that is, and I can't google it. I googled Tennes, Tennes videogame, Tennes indie game

#36 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -
#37 Posted by JasonR86 (9742 posts) -

Because they are asking for a lot of fucking money. Also this is the first I've heard of it.

#38 Posted by Thoseposers (788 posts) -

@CrazyBagMan the amount of press that that game gets is insane for what it really is: something that could come from a wii party/mini game collection that people normally shit all over. I've never been into any indie game darlings because they're never as fun as people try to make them seem

#39 Posted by Chaser324 (6651 posts) -

I know it's an indie darling, but JSJ is targeting a tiny niche (people with lots of room, friends, and PS move controllers) within an already pretty small niche (people that follow the indie gaming scene).

Moderator Online
#40 Posted by SpaceRunaway (870 posts) -

You know what? I've flipped. Partially because of all of the "local multiplayer is dead" comments, and partially because I hadn't really given the Kickstarter a chance. For instance, despite having visited the page several times since it started, I had never watched the introduction video before today. These are games that should be made. Backed.

Also, they'll be livestreaming the games tonight at 7:30 EST at www.twitch.tv/sportsfriends.

#41 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Did anybody even buy Move controllers? Okay, how about, did anybody ever buy more than one Move controller?

and come on, I'd imagine most people can't even get friends to come over to play good games locally, let alone this gimmicky crap, it's something you'll play a handful of times then never play again.

You know it's true.

#42 Posted by BaconGames (3488 posts) -

Because every time I've thought about it, it says "local multiplayer" and I click out of that tab on my browser. Of course that's not generalizable to why it's not getting funded but every time I see someone hyping it on twitter, I want to support them but I have no use for local multiplayer games no matter how awesome they are. To this day I still haven't played Cards Against Humanity because I haven't been able to set something up.

#43 Posted by Sergio (2161 posts) -

I guess I'm one of the few with Move controllers. I'm still not interested in this.

#44 Posted by Jams (2962 posts) -

It's an idea that belongs to one of those plug in tv games. It's neat, but it's not worth having all the extra stuff to get it going. So you basically have to bank on the hope that everyone who has a move will buy this game. But I think in reality, something like 10%-15% of people who own moves would get it, if that.

#45 Posted by buttle826 (123 posts) -

Do people really think local multiplayer is dead? I can only speak from personal experience, but I have friends over all the time, and we would have a blast with something like this. And even if it is dead, isn't it worth trying to bring back? I have way more fun playing games with people that are in the room with me, rather than playing with someone I can only hear through a headset. I don't know, "because local multiplayer is dead" seems like a poor reason. If you aren't interested in Joust, I get that, but there are 3 other games in that package that are definitely worth $15

#46 Posted by Cameron (603 posts) -

I think it's because JSJ missed the window where anyone cared about the Move by about two years. It doesn't help that I've never heard of the other games in the bundle.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.