Who is overall Smarter, John Carmack or the Bioware Doctors?

• 66 results
#1 Posted by Gabriel (4081 posts) -
#2 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

two heads are better than one

#3 Posted by JJWeatherman (14569 posts) -

John Carmack is a damn genius, though.
#4 Posted by JCGamer (671 posts) -

Carmack is a programming genius, fact. I like Bioware games but what exactly do they do now?

#5 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

Well one is the master of Space, and the others are the master of science... 
I vote Wil Wright.

#6 Posted by Hero_Swe (1199 posts) -

Carmack, by a mile. What have these guys REALLY done? I mean REALLY. Carmack fucking does shit with rockets man. FUCKING ROCKETS! HE IS A BONAFIDE ROCKET SCIENTIST! 

Carmack anyday.
#7 Posted by BjornTheUnicorn (358 posts) -

Carmack is the nerdy autistic savant akin to what Mark Zuckerberg is now.  
The doctors have a damn good philosophy in making games.  
It's about equal i would say.

#8 Posted by Sil3n7 (1199 posts) -

Book smart - Carmack
Business smart - Bioware Doctors

#9 Posted by dragonzord (823 posts) -

Seriously? It's Carmack. It's not even close. He builds rockets, and makes games for phones on the fly while on vacation.

#10 Posted by Hero_Swe (1199 posts) -
@zoner said:
"Seriously? It's Carmack. It's not even close. He builds rockets, and makes games for phones on the fly while on vacation. "

This. Also Doom.
#11 Posted by Korwin (3013 posts) -

Carmack builds Rockets for a hobby... fucking ROCKETS.  The man is a genius.  I'd kill for that guy's brain.

#12 Posted by SoylentGreen (259 posts) -
@BjornTheUnicorn: Has Zuckerberg launched a rocket that I'm unaware of?

Seriously, though, Carmack. Dude writes beautiful game engines by himself, mostly in C, and makes it look easy. Then, in his free time, he's a rocket scientist.

Props to the Doctors, though; Bioware is awesome.
#13 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12103 posts) -

I find most of the games that John Carmack has made to be technologically impressive, but also kind of boring. I'm a dyed in the wool Bioware zealot. Now guess which one I picked...

#14 Posted by mushyhands (39 posts) -
@Korwin said:

" Carmack builds Rockets for a hobby... fucking ROCKETS.  The man is a genius.  I'd kill for that guy's brain. "

I would kill that man for his brain, and then eat it to gain his knowledge.    
#15 Posted by ColinWright (741 posts) -

Motherfucking Rockets.

#16 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

Who is smarter? Carmack. Who is better in my opinion? The doctors. 

#17 Posted by csl316 (9418 posts) -

The rocket thing is my argument, too.  

"I went out and I started my aerospace company that I run on the side.  The word is once I conquer space I am going after nuclear fusion."
 - John Carmack, GDC 2010

#18 Posted by DystopiaX (5360 posts) -

Carmack no question.

#19 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
" Who is smarter? Carmack. Who is better in my opinion? The doctors.  "
This, Carmack's personal portal to hell won't stop me from preferring the doctors, though.....then again, it could.
#20 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -
@JCGamer said:
" Carmack is a programming genius, fact. I like Bioware games but what exactly do they do now? "
Action Adventure Role Playing games. 
#21 Posted by csl316 (9418 posts) -

And I should also mention that Carmack had very little formal schooling.  Dude just figures stuff out.

#22 Posted by carlthenimrod (1599 posts) -

John Carmack is destined to save the human race from annihilation at some point.

#23 Posted by JJWeatherman (14569 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
" Who is smarter? Carmack. Who is better in my opinion? The doctors.  "
I'd agree with that.
#24 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Now THIS is much more like apples and oranges. Carmack is a technical prodigy. The Doctors are more on the artistic side and are more interested in content than capabilities.

#25 Posted by SSully (4315 posts) -
@csl316 said:
" And I should also mention that Carmack had very little formal schooling.  Dude just figures stuff out. "
As someone else said, I would kill for that mans brain.
#26 Posted by Skald (4370 posts) -

Possible band name: John Carmack and the Bioware Doctors.

#27 Posted by captain_clayman (3328 posts) -

i want john carmack to design the engines for bioware's games.  now that would be a sight to see and probably the best game of all time.

#28 Posted by achoyq (127 posts) -
@captain_clayman said:
" i want john carmack to design the engines for bioware's games.  now that would be a sight to see and probably the best game of all time. "
Indeed.
#29 Posted by Dejkrigeren (385 posts) -
@Korwin said:
" Carmack builds Rockets for a hobby... fucking ROCKETS.  The man is a genius.  I'd kill for that guy's brain. "
Are you a zombie?
#30 Posted by Aleryn (705 posts) -

Just more a fan of Carmack here.

#31 Posted by Marz (5671 posts) -

Carmack is smarter but probably makes less money than the bioware guys.

#32 Posted by august (3865 posts) -

John Carmack stole the computers from his middle school 's computer lab, because he thought he needed them more.

And he was right.

#33 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -
@extremeradical said:
" Possible band name: John Carmack and the Bioware Doctors. "
let's make it happen. 2 synths  and 1 pedal steel. 
#34 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8605 posts) -

The doctors are working with EA nowadays.

That's anything but smart.

#35 Posted by JJWeatherman (14569 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" The doctors are working with EA nowadays.  That's anything but smart. "
I'd say the fruits of that partnership prove otherwise.
#36 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8605 posts) -
@JJWeatherman: 
Yeah, DLC all over the place.
I don't like EA, never did, never will.
#37 Edited by Geno (6477 posts) -

Carmack. The doctors started up a company, they haven't actually done anything technical in the video game realm worth mentioning. IIRC they didn't stay in the medical profession long enough to get very published either. 

#38 Posted by JJWeatherman (14569 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" @JJWeatherman:  Yeah, DLC all over the place. I don't like EA, never did, never will. "
I don't think that a distaste for DLC is any reason to dislike EA. DLC is very quickly becoming the norm in the industry; almost everyone does it. 

EA is partially responsible for both Mass Effect 2 as well as Dragon Age: Origins. They're alright in my book.
#39 Posted by h0lgr (911 posts) -

It's not even a comparison worth making. Carmack is just pure raw genius. There's nothing else to it.
He's just insanely smart, one of those 1 in a million type guys who will just come along once in a few decades. 

We should just consider ourselves lucky he chose game development.

#40 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

The Bioware doctors are smart, but John Carmack is just on a different scale of evil genius.

#41 Posted by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

Carmack for sure.

John Carmack is like Reed Richards and the Bioware doctors are like Beast and Peter Parker.

#42 Posted by ComradeKhan (686 posts) -
@extremeradical said:
" Possible band name: John Carmack and the Bioware Doctors. "

i'll play guitar
#43 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2730 posts) -

John Carmack is the mastermind.
#44 Posted by MaddProdigy (1041 posts) -
ROCKETS!!!
#45 Posted by Enigma777 (6058 posts) -

Gonna have to give it up to the 'Mack Attack!

#46 Posted by Fjordson (2432 posts) -

Carmack, most def. God, I hope Rage turns out good.

#47 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Depends on what you mean by smarter, as in just raw like brainpower as in if you sat them down to do like a math test then yes Carmack would probably win.

the doctors are probably better at finding creative solutions to limitations etc.

#48 Posted by Damodar (1497 posts) -

I voted Carmack because I know the man is incredibly clever and I see most people agree. 

But what's the arguement for the Bioware guys other than that they are doctors or that they run a company and a lot of people go nutty for their games? I don't know how much involvement they even have with the creative side of things or if they have any technical knowledge etc at all. Are people just voting for them because they like Mass Effect?

Carmack's engines changed gaming dramatically and he's brilliant in other fields, too.

#49 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8605 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @TaliciaDragonsong said:
" @JJWeatherman:  Yeah, DLC all over the place. I don't like EA, never did, never will. "
I don't think that a distaste for DLC is any reason to dislike EA. DLC is very quickly becoming the norm in the industry; almost everyone does it. 

EA is partially responsible for both Mass Effect 2 as well as Dragon Age: Origins. They're alright in my book. "
Lemme clarify.
I dislike EA, I dislike DLC, DLC did not make me dislike EA, but judging from the ME2 and DA DLC its not doing EA any favors for me either.
#50 Posted by sharma55 (455 posts) -

My man JC! (Not Jesus)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.