Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Joint Operations: Escalation

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Nov 17, 2004

This is the expansion pack to the original Joint operations: typhoon rising game. It adds new vehicles and weapons to the game

Who else played this?

laticsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By laticsfan

With all the recent talk about MAG, I can't stop thinking about how awesome this game was. And I wish more people still played it.

For those who don't know, it was an online FPS with server capacaties up to 150 players. And unlike MAG all the players in a game were on the same map/area. The game also featured many vehicles including tanks, dirt bikes, chinooks, hovercraft to name a few. As well as your standard weapons Rifles, submachine guns, you also had mortars. And the maps would be absolutley massive with matches sometimes taking hours to complete along with a day/night cycle. 

I had so many amazing moments with this game, which include driving a jeep out the back of a flying chinook only to land on two enemies. 

So did you play this awesome game? Care to share any memories you have?

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Capum15

Fuck. Yes.

Fuck yes I did.

Oh man, I don't brag about how well (or badly) I play games, but I swear I was one of the best Little Bird pilots out there. Blackhawks were a bit harder, but I was still pretty good with them.

Edit: I spent a lot of time playing with my clan on Humans Vs. Bots maps (one of the guys in the clan was an amazing map maker all the way back to when Black Hawk Down and Green Sabre were active), and my favorite memories were hauling ass in an AH-6 or the transport version and flying low and fast over a town full of RPGs and landing in a tiny clearing or something next to the objective. There was even a map where it was almost all fog (you could see roughly 10 feet around you) and I would fly through the forest and fog to land on a small slope and drop off team mates.

On that huge map with 3 Islands, I would always transport allies from the middle island to the enemies island and base. I even landed right next to the bunker in a Blackhawk once. The one thing I hated was the fact that you could never, and I mean never dodge Stinger missiles, even with a Co-Pilot holding down the Countermeasures/Chaff button and me pulling some insane moves.

laticsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By laticsfan
    @Capum15:
    Dude, I loved straffing jungle clearings with a little bird kitted with miniguns, then setting down to drop off a couple of players.....rinse and repeat.
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Capum15
    @Laticsfan: Definitely. I still hate stingers. Did you ever play any of the bot maps?

Man the Bot map called "White Noise" or something like that, had a glitch where if you drove one of those Buggy cars (the three-seaters) into the blown-up bridge in front of the start, you could actually hit the edge of the water in the middle of the river, ramp off the partly sunken bridge and land on the other side, effectively skipping half the map with a vehicle (normally you would have to go down river to cross a bridge, then drive back toward the starting area on the other side of the river, at least to have a vehicle).

I loved the dirt bikes and those weird ATV/Boat things, too. I spent so, so much time just going off huge ramps with the dirt bikes. Some maps were perfect for that, and made even better by people shooting at you while you pulled off some huge air.

So many memories. It also helped that I played since Black Hawk Down. It was amazing when Joint Operations came out and it let you drive vehicles. Then the expansion with even more awesomeness.
    laticsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By laticsfan
    @Capum15:
    Can't say I did play any bot maps. Nothing like speeding across the map on a dirtbike narrowly avoiding the chaos taking place around you.
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Capum15
    @Laticsfan: Then hitting a small bump and being launched in the air, sometimes landing on your side or something, causing the bike to hit the ground on its' side or back end (throwing you off, safely) and explode.

That game had big-ass ramps way before Fifty could even imagine them. Same with helicopters.

And they were pretty much online-only big-ass ramps, making it that much more awesome.

I wonder if it's still somewhat active. I checked it sometime last year and there were still players and servers/rooms, but I only payed attention to the "main" A.I./Bot one (with one of the greatest mods evar, lets the Medic class use any weapons, but only usable if the server/room allows it).
    ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ToxicFruit

OH man yeah, I got  this game free with a graphic card some time ago. It was pretty good :P

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Diamond

I played it, it was really cool.  I got the expansion too "Typhoon Rising"?  I forget...

The graphics were really cool, a faked HDR effect before real HDR was making its rounds in games.  Really nice pixel shader 2.0(?) water effects.  The best water in any game at release.  Nice grass too...  The game didn't run super great on my PC at the time, but I got a pretty steady ~15-20fps with near max details.  The problem with Joint Ops was the game was LAGGY AS FUCK in those really huge matches.  It was kind of cool riding in some vehicle or walking for minutes to get to where the fight was, but then getting killed sucked.  The battlegrounds were HUGE.  My biggest accomplishment was ranking #1 in a 128 person server several times (man that kicked ass, I might still have the screenshots around somewhere).  The combat felt a tiny bit janky too.

It also kind of sucked when people learned to go prone in boats way out at sea and snipe people, which was a hard tactic to fight against.  The mortar strikes could also be brutal.  Some people even took APCs underwater and way out to sea and just fired away at people with the cannons.

It was fun to mess around in the game too, great voice quotes 'GET OUT OF HERE!'.  Also one time a guy drove me in a boat about 10 miles outside of battle along some river then logged out.

Just a note MAG does have all the players on the same map, just like Joint Ops though not all the characters will necessarily be in the same spot.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bionicicide

I quit because their Punbuster was outdated and everyone downloaded color skins it seemed like. They had one of the worst AI in an FPS, ever, but I still logged many hours in the cooperative campaign (custom maps and 10 human players).

Last I heard the developers were making Delta Force: Angel Falls (200 players), but that was like in 2008, did they close down? The screenshots just looked like a high-res version of Joint Operations.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Capum15
    @Diamond: Typhoon Rising was the actual game, Escalation was the expansion.

@Bionicicide: Really? Novalogic was awesome, I hope they didn't close. Just a quick glance over their site, and  they seem to be still going. Didn't see any "New Projects" or anything, but I didn't really look.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.