The most boring fighter of all time.

#1 Edited by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Anyone been watching UFC 117? 

#2 Posted by lancer75 (87 posts) -

Jon Fitch is indeed quite boring to watch, but his record in the UFC is phenomenal, and because of that, I think that he deserves to be on the main card every single time.

#3 Posted by empfeix (774 posts) -

It may be true.  Can't argue with success though.  This isn't wwe you don't win extra points for style.

#4 Edited by error5305 (277 posts) -

Not all time.
@lancer75:
That is the main difference between American fans and Japanese fans (also fighters).  Western fans are more concerned with the record and say they will do whatever it takes to win.  Japanese fans will still want to watch an exciting fighter who loses over a boring one who wins. 

Overall I would say while exciting fights are good for entertainment value (Korean Zombie!) it is better for the sport long-term to have serious fighters who are about winning.  It may result in some boring match ups but it elevates the level of competition. This leads to the legendary fights between two outstanding fighters at the top of their game, who are both exciting and a master of their art.
@HandsomeDead:
edit: also spoliers. Why did I click on this thread?!!

#5 Posted by lancer75 (87 posts) -

Most boring fighter of all time has to be Antonio McKee though, without a doubt.

#6 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@empfeix: Of course but if you compare him to other wrestlers like Georges St. Pierre, GSP is always working for a submission or something. His bout with Dan Hardy was a masterclass of grappling. Compare that to Fitch who gets people down, does nothing, takes their back and then does nothing. It's cheap and makes the sport look incredibly dull. 

@error5305: Sorry, mate. Fixed.
#7 Posted by lancer75 (87 posts) -
@HandsomeDead: 
You have to remember though, GSP is much, much more athletic than Jon Fitch, and that explosive athleticism that he has allows him to take more risks on the ground, while still maintaining an advantageous position.  Jon Fitch is from a traditional wrestling background as well, he doesn't possess anywhere near the amount of traditional brazilian jiu jitsu expertise that GSP has.  Wrestling can be an extremely boring style.
#8 Posted by empfeix (774 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" @empfeix: Of course but if you compare him to other wrestlers like Georges St. Pierre, GSP is always working for a submission or something. His bout with Dan Hardy was a masterclass of grappling. Compare that to Fitch who gets people down, does nothing, takes their back and then does nothing. It's cheap and makes the sport look incredibly dull. 

@error5305: Sorry, mate. Fixed. "
good point - i was going to mention st. pierre but your right the difference is immense.  
#9 Edited by error5305 (277 posts) -
#10 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@error5305: I am incredibly unsurprised to see the first name on there is Anderson Silva.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.