Am I the only one who didn't have an emotional experience?

• 63 results
#1 Posted by DefaultGen (135 posts) -

It's hard to find even a "This game sucks, it has no headshots" type comment on the internet about this game. Universal, gushing praise everywhere. I've never seen anything like the reaction to this game. I loved Flower, but didn't understand this one. Everyone else seems to have had some deep, emotional, transcendent experience with this game that I completely whiffed on. I thought this game had some nice visuals at time and great music, but was overall fairly boring to sit through. It's as if Passage went on for 2 hours. Both games consist mostly of moving your character slowly in one direction, but Passage gets the point across in 5 minutes while Journey takes much longer. Am I really the only one who didn't "get it"?

#2 Posted by Brendan (7767 posts) -

I hate you so much for your thread title.

#3 Edited by Djratchet (669 posts) -

2 questions:

Did you play it online with a partner?

Did you play it all in one go?

Because I feel those made a difference to me. I don't expect it to hit everyone's emotional buttons, but most people get it.

EDIT oh, and obligatory NO YOU AREN'T THE ONLY ONE, YOU AREN'T A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE, LOOK AT THIS WEBCOMIC SAYING YOU AREN'T SPECIAL, etc etc.

#4 Posted by DefaultGen (135 posts) -

I played it online in one sitting, but didn't realize the people I met in the game were humans until looking the game up online afterwards and being bombarbed by overwhelming positive reviews, especially regarding that aspect. I mostly stuck by my partner in the game for the jump juice. I thought it was a CPU showing me the critical path through the game, since I had to break away from it to grab the the collectible relics.

#5 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

I liked it for some parts (the sand run was pretty incredible), but I just don't think the Journey went very well for me. In the last level, I actually got stuck at a point, having floated off the main path and unable to float around back to the actual path I was going to. I actually had to restart the game, replaying a level meant to be painful and arduous, completely breaking the experience for me. I also found the multiplayer stuff a little odd a times: after a certain point, characters just shouldn't jump into your game. It's great to have played with someone completely anonymous for the whole game, but to have the guy you sweat and bled with replaced by some new jack in the last stretch feels kinda wrong. The ending--and pretty much all the "story" stuff I found completely nonsensical. It's a beautiful game with some very neat concepts, but it just could've used a little more work. I'm unhappy I spent $15 on it, but it's definitely something you need to have an opinion on, and, perhaps I'll play it again in a few months and have a much better experience than I did a few weeks ago.

#6 Edited by SkyTown_Drifts (47 posts) -

Yeah like said, playing with a competent partner is what makes the game special. I played with the same person for the majority of the game and loved every bit of it. My friend who I was trying to meet up with but failed was stuck with a guy who acted like my friend's little bitch copying whatever my friend did to the point that they were running in circles, which frustrated my friend as he didn't enjoy the game as much.

#7 Posted by Djratchet (669 posts) -

@DefaultGen: Ah, well... I could see how not knowing that could diminish the effect somewhat.

#8 Edited by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

@DefaultGen said:

It's hard to find even a "This game sucks, it has no headshots" type comment on the internet about this game. Universal, gushing praise everywhere. I've never seen anything like the reaction to this game. I loved Flower, but didn't understand this one. Everyone else seems to have had some deep, emotional, transcendent experience with this game that I completely whiffed on. I thought this game had some nice visuals at time and great music, but was overall fairly boring to sit through. It's as if Passage went on for 2 hours. Both games consist mostly of moving your character slowly in one direction, but Passage gets the point across in 5 minutes while Journey takes much longer. Am I really the only one who didn't "get it"?

You described feeling pleasure from the visuals and music. You described feeling monotony and boredom with the gameplay. You described confusion with the impact of the game as opposed to another game as well as not 'getting it'.

It sounds like the game made you 'feel' quite a bit.

#9 Posted by RJPelonia (855 posts) -

Eh. To each their own.

#10 Edited by Animasta (14673 posts) -

@JasonR86: feeling an emotion =/= emotional experience, because then everything is an emotional experience. Feeling boredom does not make something more emotional, after all.

#11 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

I didn't have an emotional experience with it, but that's probably because I haven't played it

#12 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@JasonR86: feeling an emotion =/= emotional experience, because then everything is an emotional experience.

Yes, everything is an emotional experience.

#13 Posted by TheLeamenator (146 posts) -

Am I the only one who wrote "am I the only one" for the beginning of my forum post?

#14 Posted by Animasta (14673 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@Animasta said:

@JasonR86: feeling an emotion =/= emotional experience, because then everything is an emotional experience.

are you a dictionary? am I talking to the living embodiment of oxford's? yes, everything is by definition an "emotional" experience, but that's not what he was talking about; he was talking about being not being emotionally invested into the game as others were, and that's generally what emotional experience means in this context, but hey context is hard

#15 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I enjoyed it a lot but I really don't quite understand how people are losing their shit over this game and taking so much away from it.

It looks great, it plays nice, the online integration is very cool and it's a well crafted and paced piece of gaming. It did not make me question the values of my life or make me want to read too deeply into the goings on of that world.

#16 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Animasta said:

are you a dictionary? am I talking to the living embodiment of oxford's? yes, everything is by definition an "emotional" experience, but that's not what he was talking about; he was talking about being not being emotionally invested into the game as others were, and that's generally what emotional experience means in this context, but hey context is hard

Easy killer. I was teasing him because he hit a pet peeve of mine. No need to get all feisty and such. I understood his meaning and I liked my jokey comment a lot more then my 'serious' comment. Plus, if I hadn't gone with my jokey comment you and I wouldn't be having this fantastic back and forth exchange. That would have been a real shame.

#17 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@DefaultGen: yes

#18 Posted by SkyTown_Drifts (47 posts) -

@Sooty: Yeah anyone who actually did that is stretching it a bit. Plus it's an exclusive, meaning it gets talked up way more than it should.

#19 Posted by Hunter5024 (5617 posts) -

I think because reviewers have to play most of the games that come out that they are more inclined to heap praise upon an original game, not because its good, but because its unique. Journey is okay, but I think critics enjoyed it more because in a way its like a refreshing break from what they normally have to play everyday, even if they love their job.

#20 Posted by Vonocourt (2126 posts) -

Am I the only one who thinks that bitching at people for using the phrase "am I the only one" is the new way to try to look hard on GB?

#21 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

@Vonocourt said:

Am I the only one who thinks that bitching at people for using the phrase "am I the only one" is the new way to try to look hard on GB?

Just like everyone who starts their question with 'Am I the only one', the answer is highly likely to be a big fat 'no'.

#22 Posted by Freshbandito (681 posts) -

@JasonR86: You should really work on your delivery when it comes to sarcasm.

#23 Posted by Milkman (16667 posts) -

Am I only one who clicked this thread just to see the people losing their shit over him saying "am I the only one?"

#24 Edited by Packie (255 posts) -

I also didn't "get" it, well the story at least, but it still is the best game I've played of 2012 so far. Loved the art direction, the music, the pacing and the ending was utterly gorgeous. I'm also surprised at how seamless the online integration was. The game is best played in co-op, that is if your partner isn't a complete twat that just rushes through the level.

#25 Posted by Vonocourt (2126 posts) -

@ShiftyMagician said:

@Vonocourt said:

Just like everyone who starts their question with 'Am I the only one', the answer is highly likely to be a big fat 'no'.

Blew my mind bro.

#26 Edited by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

"Emotional Experience" makes it sound too...idk...gross. I would not say I had an "emotional experience" but I will say it is literally one of the best games I have ever played in my entire life and I've been playing games since the NES. In the same way Dark Souls purposefully taps into deeper human characteristics (perseverance, patience, and self control) this game too tapped into something deeper than most games do. Games are fun in certain ways, but Journey does something that other games simply do not do and it is extremely hard to describe because I do not think that it has really been done before. I know this will sound stupid, but it is almost as if you do not play the game, it plays you. The mechanics are so simple that it is almost like you are along for the ride, and yet you still participate in extremely meaningful ways. It is not as if the game keeps moving on without you if you do not want it to, but there is a rhythm to what is happening that you don't want to interrupt.

Unlike Jeff and some others, I am a firm believer that some games are simply better when played in the right settings. I feel that journey needs to be played on a good quality and sized TV, in a dark room, while sitting upright and close enough to the screen that it is basically the only thing you can concentrate on. You would be surprised, when the TV is the only thing within your vision or hearing range that you can concentrate on it makes a difference.

Also, playing the thing straight through and online connected to partners is a MUST! Without those things you might as well not even be playing it. The co-op experience specifically is one of the magical things about the game that makes you feel a way towards the world and your partner that you would not get if it was a friend or random stranger you could talk to. In the same way that Dark Souls makes the multiplayer more challenging by limiting communication, Journey uses that technique to make you care about your partner in a way that would only happen if you were actually making a tough and perilous journey with someone in real life.

Now, I would say I hate the whole "emotional experience" thing because honestly, fuck that. I did not really give the "story" or "world" a second thought in the grand scheme of things and if that is what people are going crazy over than...eh. My amazement and excitement is about that of design and purpose. The experience as a GAME is something I do not think has ever been captured before.

#27 Posted by benpicko (2005 posts) -
@Vonocourt

People moaning about it annoys me more than the actual phrase. They don't actually mean it, everyone. It's simply another way of saying 'Hey, anybody who agrees with my experiences, come in here and share your similar thoughts.'
#28 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

@Freshbandito said:

@JasonR86: You should really work on your delivery when it comes to sarcasm.

Good thing people like you are around so I can practice.

#29 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Am I the only one who didn't have an emotional experience?

Yes. There is something wrong with you.

#30 Edited by Jeust (10552 posts) -

It's not my cup of tea either. What really turns me off the game is collecting papers, and the scarf part. I understand, sort of, the gameplay elements relative to it, but it seems pointless to me. It seems like a thoughtful game, but I can't relate to it. Seems just mindblowing boring.

#31 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -

I showed it to another person recently and watched her play through it without telling her anything. She thought the other players she met were NPC's as well, which probably explains why she didn't really use the "sing" button to communicate or cared at all to interact with them.

I thought I went into the game pretty blind but it seems like even knowing that there is real people behind the other Journey-ists could significantly affect your experience.

#32 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -
@Brendan said:

I hate you so much for your thread title.

#33 Edited by cexantus (131 posts) -

@Hunter5024: I disagree wholeheartedly--and this is coming from someone that was extremely skeptical of this game.

It works primarily because every aspect of the game comes together in such a cohesive fashion that it nearly blindsides you with just how gorgeous it is.

he ending--and pretty much all the "story" stuff I found completely nonsensical.

it doesn't make sense because there is no story--no ultimate goal or narrative to guide you along. It's literally a game where you move forward and reach the light.

And yet, despite an absence of story, it so clearly about our love of the narrative and what we get from them by distilling its most basic components: discovery, conflict, death, and ultimately, rebirth.

I think the reason why there are some people "not getting it" is because it flies in the face of gamer expectations for video games, and primarily because it's a game where all you do is "move forward." My advice: Don't think about it. Find a place where you won't be distracted, and just let it overcome you. It's very Wordsworthian in that sense.

#34 Posted by MattSchwabby (117 posts) -

@DefaultGen said:

Yes

#35 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

Semantics should not be the cause of so much frustration.

#36 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@Vonocourt said:

Yeah, I don't see why this bothers people so much.

#37 Posted by dabe (299 posts) -

The allegorical storytelling is good (only played about an hour or so atm). Aside from this, it's humanistic commentary (if read that way) is decent also. Some people don't like this kind of stuff, some people don't understand it and some just flagrantly miss it. It's all good, I'm currently appreciative of the experience sans emotional or visceral engagement. Co-op is where it's at.

#38 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2991 posts) -

For me the significance of the journey (hehe) was that me and my partner found eachother pretty early on and made it all the way through together. Somehow the story took on an aspect of a theatrical film. There were times when we were playful and carefree, other times when we were somber and reticent. Still other times we were scared and lost. In the end we were together though and we felt like we could let go. It felt like a microcosm of a lifetime to me, from the beginning of a relationship to the death of the player and ascension into the spiritual world. The game requires you to input all of these emotions, it never tells you what to feel, I feel like too many games do that already.

#39 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

Am I the only one who likes to boil their shoes over a fresh fire every morning, so I can keep my afternoon tea warm in them?

#40 Edited by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

No. I tought it was a mediocre game with good visuals and a good idea behind the multiplayer, but the game was too long for it's own sake.

#41 Posted by easthill (351 posts) -

I was extremely skeptical towards this game and I hated Flower.

To keep this short, Journey was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

I played the game boozed up, with a headset in a completely dark room. My partner found me sitting on a rock meditating, quirped at me and stayed with me till the end. I just want to play this game for the first time again.

Also, I wish this game had a hug button.

#42 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2991 posts) -

@easthill said:

I was extremely skeptical towards this game and I hated Flower.

To keep this short, Journey was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

I played the game boozed up, with a headset in a completely dark room. My partner found me sitting on a rock meditating, quirped at me and stayed with me till the end. I just want to play this game for the first time again.

Also, I wish this game had a hug button.

awww yeah I wanted to hug my companion by the end. I feel like the sort of instant loyalty you feel is indicative of humanities inherent goodness. Like the first time 2 souls meet on equal terms with no prejudice they want only to love, and that at a certain point the reality gets in the way.

#43 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

It's like… people lead different lives and have different outlooks and that affects how they relate to certain types of media or subject matter… man.

#44 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

If you elect me as Supreme Ruler of the Internets, I pledge to shut down all forum threads starting with "Am I the only one" and flail those who create such threads until the flesh falls off their bones.

#45 Posted by TooWalrus (13167 posts) -

Yes you're the only 1 you god damn f****** asshole. I didn't sensor myself but he text to speech feature on my phone did.

#46 Posted by NegativeCero (2995 posts) -

When did this pet peeve trend for "am I the only one" start? I honestly don't remember it being a problem until maybe a few weeks ago.

I also have nothing to contribute, not having a PS3 and all. Totally want to play Journey to see what all the talk is about.

#47 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

So, umm, there's this thing called "hyperbole", which video game folks like to use kind of A LOT... so whenever they say things like "Journey was the first time I felt emotions in a game" or something to that degree, I immediately grow suspicious. I haven't played the game yet, but I know for a fact that it ain't all it's cracked up to be.

#48 Posted by Polydeukes (98 posts) -

@buzz_killington: It really is all it's cracked up to be.

Whether than means you, the OP or some others enjoy the experience is another matter entirely. And that's OK.

#49 Posted by Bribo (599 posts) -

Is whining an emotion? No, relax - I'm joking.

I've been discouraged from buying this from day one. The notion of hooking up with some other guy who got in a week early with his PSN+ account, his long scarf, his embroidered robe and his constant chirping while he stands beside stuff you may or may not discovered for yourself - that puts me off.

Is 'fuck that guy' an emotion?

#50 Posted by Polydeukes (98 posts) -

@Bribo said:

Is whining an emotion? No, relax - I'm joking.

I've been discouraged from buying this from day one. The notion of hooking up with some other guy who got in a week early with his PSN+ account, his long scarf, his embroidered robe and his constant chirping while he stands beside stuff you may or may not discovered for yourself - that puts me off.

Is 'fuck that guy' an emotion?

The solution to that problem is to just run away from the tall poppy. Just like in life, if you think people flashing their bling are pretentious, you can just walk away from them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.