Giant Bomb review - Alex N

#1 Posted by Winternet (8035 posts) -

Better late than never, huh guys? And it's Alex who reviews it. That will be interesting to read. I'm actually eager to see what he thinks of it. I assumed there was not going to be a review anymore and even if there was, I though Bradley would do it. I guess we could all imagine what Brad review would be like, but Alex is more like an unknown quantity (although I think he will give it 5 stars). I hope the review is still out today.

What are y'all thoughts about it?

#2 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5289 posts) -

Bring it on. Dude knows what's up.

#3 Edited by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -
@Winternet
journey does not actually come out till tomorrow 
so it's not late
#4 Posted by BoFooQ (723 posts) -

what makes you think alex will give it five stars? alex hates everything, if you haven't noticed. I bet you can't find a game or movie that he actually gave five stars too. I don't know why he hates everything so much but he seems to dislike fun.

#5 Posted by Panpipe (475 posts) -

Is Alex "in" to games with a reputation like this? (Braid, Limbo, etc)

If anything, with his sarcy ways I'd imagine he'd come in with a pessimistic attitude. Hope he loves it.

#6 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Err...this is a weird topic to talk 'pregame' on a review.

#7 Edited by SASnake (367 posts) -

I never like anything by Alex, "so then theres this THING....and then this THING happened...and this is a THING....and that THING was there...so that was a THING"

#8 Edited by Panpipe (475 posts) -

@BoFooQ said:

what makes you think alex will give it five stars? alex hates everything, if you haven't noticed. I bet you can't find a game or movie that he actually gave five stars too. I don't know why he hates everything so much but he seems to dislike fun.

I was just looking through his review history actually, he's given 5 stars to Rhythm Heaven Fever, Rayman Origins, NBA 2K12 and a bunch of 4 stars to games like Rock of Ages in the past year.

Plus apparently his first paragraph is "flowery" with the language. I'd say 5 stars would be a fair bet. 4 stars still likely.

#9 Posted by Superfriend (1579 posts) -

I would have liked a review done by Axel F. - Not the character but the track.

A man can dream.

#10 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

@SASnake said:

I never like anything by Alex, "so then theres this THING....and then this THING happened...and this is a THING....and that THING was there...so that was a THING"

ryan does that too

alex is the best writer on GB by far; klepek may be a better journalist, but Alex is a better writer.

alex supremacy

#11 Posted by SASnake (367 posts) -

@Animasta: ppff, oh please, im the best writer on Giantbomb

Hows this :

Journey, loads of sand, you meet random players who you can slide around with, at the end of the game, you learn their name, thats cool, 4/5

#12 Posted by GeneralZod37 (267 posts) -

@Animasta: I would probably say that Brad is the best writer on the site. I find Alex always being snarky a fault. Everything he writes is layered in jokes and sarcasm. It kinda takes away from the thoughts he is trying to convey. I mean, sure it is nice to have some humor in writing, but the way he handles it in literally every post of his doesn't work for me.

#13 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

@GeneralZod37: I suppose it's personal taste and all but brad's writing is, well, boring. Not that there's not room for boring, I just don't get a personal touch from his writings like I do from Alex or Jeff's writing.

#14 Posted by Dtat (1627 posts) -

@BoFooQ said:

He hates everything except for Nick Cage. And Nick Cage is fucking terrible. So he only likes things ironically?

#15 Posted by GeneralZod37 (267 posts) -

@Animasta: Different strokes, my friend.

#16 Posted by Winternet (8035 posts) -

@Shun_Akiyama: Well, it's late in the sense that the other reviews have been out for over a week now.

#17 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

MY GAMES JOURNALIST IS BETTER THAN YOUR GAMES JOURNALIST, WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

#18 Edited by Hunkulese (2842 posts) -

@BoFooQ said:

He's like a lot of games. I'm pretty sure he gave Kirby's Epic Yarn 5 stars. Actually he seems to mainly review games he likes. Aren't most of his reviews 4 or 5 stars?

#19 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

I trust Alex to be critical and down to earth.

In an unrelated note, what's up with I love mondays? I know late ones or out right omissions are not rare but goddamn it sucks when you are expecting them and they are not there.

#20 Posted by GeneralZod37 (267 posts) -

@Gerhabio: I take it they usually record them on Fridays, otherwise Ryan and presumably Vinny (and Jeff? doesn't ryan give him rides?) would have to get up really early on Mondays to record/edit/post them before 6am. Week before last Ryan was on vacation, and I am sure last Friday was filled with GDC goodness which then led to them focusing on putting that content together today rather than making a ILM

#21 Posted by Winternet (8035 posts) -

And it is out. 5 stars as I predicted.

Do you guys agree with Alex's review?

#22 Edited by Majkiboy (994 posts) -

Alex gave it 5/5, plus two user reviews, where one gave it 5/5 and the other 4/5 and the average score is 3.6 / 5?

I smell a bug, or have I missed something?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.