Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Journey

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 13, 2012

Journey is thatgamecompany's third release for Sony. Roam the lands discovering the history of an ancient civilization on a trek toward a distant mountain. Go at it alone or explore with strangers online.

Journey

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By EVO
    No Caption Provided

Not since Dark Souls has a game resonated with me like Journey. Since completing it the other night, I have been constantly browsing these message boards among others for peoples insight on the game. I've read reviews, I've watched videos, I've listened to podcast--I'm eagerly anticipating this weeks Bombcast to hear the crews articulate their experience--which is what Journey is: an experience.

Essentially a story about life, Journey makes a compelling argument for the games as art debate. In the relatively short time it took me to complete my journey, I felt emotions few games let alone films or music have been able to evoke from me. That snowboardingesque sequence, that brought out the same childish giddiness I felt years ago rolling down grassy hills. Watching my journey be retold in those pictures was touching, like looking over old photographs. Ascending to the top of the mountain, pure bliss.

It's a phenomenal achievement by thatgamecompany. They've somehow crammed the highs and lows we will all inevitably face in our own journey through life, provided we live to old age, into a game that can easily be completed in one sitting. Whether you experience these highs and lows alone or with someone by your side is up to you. Or perhaps out of your control, if the stranger on the other end isn't willing to co-operate. But hey, that's life. Some of our lives will be like my journey: born alone, died alone. I made some friends along the way, and formed a partnership with someone for a good chunk of the journey, but ultimately, I walked into that light alone. My friend on the other hand, he had the same companion with him for most of his journey.

If there's any criticism to be made of the game, it's that someday this game will have be played alone. Perhaps it's not until then that we will truly appreciate it, looking back on it much like the clothed figure looking over the ruins of a civilization long gone.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By EVO
    No Caption Provided

Not since Dark Souls has a game resonated with me like Journey. Since completing it the other night, I have been constantly browsing these message boards among others for peoples insight on the game. I've read reviews, I've watched videos, I've listened to podcast--I'm eagerly anticipating this weeks Bombcast to hear the crews articulate their experience--which is what Journey is: an experience.

Essentially a story about life, Journey makes a compelling argument for the games as art debate. In the relatively short time it took me to complete my journey, I felt emotions few games let alone films or music have been able to evoke from me. That snowboardingesque sequence, that brought out the same childish giddiness I felt years ago rolling down grassy hills. Watching my journey be retold in those pictures was touching, like looking over old photographs. Ascending to the top of the mountain, pure bliss.

It's a phenomenal achievement by thatgamecompany. They've somehow crammed the highs and lows we will all inevitably face in our own journey through life, provided we live to old age, into a game that can easily be completed in one sitting. Whether you experience these highs and lows alone or with someone by your side is up to you. Or perhaps out of your control, if the stranger on the other end isn't willing to co-operate. But hey, that's life. Some of our lives will be like my journey: born alone, died alone. I made some friends along the way, and formed a partnership with someone for a good chunk of the journey, but ultimately, I walked into that light alone. My friend on the other hand, he had the same companion with him for most of his journey.

If there's any criticism to be made of the game, it's that someday this game will have be played alone. Perhaps it's not until then that we will truly appreciate it, looking back on it much like the clothed figure looking over the ruins of a civilization long gone.

Cr0ssbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Cr0ssbow

Your final paragraph is one of the first thoughts I had about it, how it's a shame that probably not too far in the future, players being thrown into the same world will be a more rare occasion. But then, on that offchance that years from now, someone still stumbles into your Journey and accompanies you, that will make it that much more special. I still may attempt an offline game at some point, so that I can focus more on the art and hidden things than "where is my partner and what is he up to."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.