Not on "Major Games" list for 2012

#1 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

Today I was looking at the list of "Major Games" of 2012 on the Browse Games page, and I was kind of shocked to not see Journey listed there. I know it's not a triple A release or anything, but Sound Shapes is listed there, and Bastion is listed last year. Considering the amount of impact Journey had when it came out, I really don't understand why it's not there.

#2 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1568 posts) -

I was all ready to say "well, an indie game, even one as spectacular as Journey, isn't really a "major" release, considering its budget and its place as a downloadable title", but then I saw Sound Shapes on there, so... yeah, that's kind of weird.

#3 Posted by StarvingGamer (8150 posts) -

Possibly because no one went to the Browse page and filled out a Propose New Game form thingy. Did you try that yet?

Or possibly because Journey isn't really a "game." :-P

#4 Posted by Svenzon (718 posts) -

Probably a mistake then.

#5 Posted by Hailinel (24409 posts) -

I keep forgetting that Journey came out this year.

#6 Posted by mrcraggle (1910 posts) -

Just click the add new game if you feel it should be there. The Cave is in the list from 2013 and that will be a small budget downloadable title.

#7 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

Possibly because no one went to the Browse page and filled out a Propose New Game form thingy. Did you try that yet?

Or possibly because Journey isn't really a "game." :-P

Thanks. Didn't know you could do that; I'll give it a try.

#8 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

Alright, so I tried the add new game button, and it got rejected because the game already has a page. So that button must be to add games to the site's database.

"Sorry, we can not accept this submission because it already exists on the site (http://www.giantbomb.com/journey/61-31772/)."

#9 Edited by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Journey is one of the best games this year, but its also a downloadable game that was made by a small team with considerably less money than its rivals. Should they stop it from being a major game, you decide.

#10 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1241 posts) -

I honestly did not like Journey like everyone else apparently does but oh well.

#11 Posted by StarvingGamer (8150 posts) -

No idea then. Probably whomever adds game to that list simply forgot about it at the time.

#12 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

It doesn't matter that much. Patrick will flip the fuck out if it doesn't get on the GOTY list so it will be represented one way or another.

#13 Posted by EXTomar (4687 posts) -

Journey and Spec-Ops are two games that changed the way I view games and what is possible. It is a shame some don't consider Journey a game let alone a very profound one.

#14 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

@EXTomar: Yeah I think spec ops is worth looking at too. Anyway I tweeted at Ryan, maybe he'll see it. Or just block me.

#15 Posted by bushpusherr (778 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

It doesn't matter that much. Patrick will flip the fuck out if it doesn't get on the GOTY list so it will be represented one way or another.

Patrick? I personally felt Brad was the most enthusiastic about it...and Jeff seemed to really dig it too. Where it's placed will be an argument, sure, but I doubt they'll have too much trouble getting it into the top 10 at the end of the year.

#16 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

@bushpusherr said:

@JasonR86 said:

Patrick? I personally felt Brad was the most enthusiastic about it...and Jeff seemed to really dig it too. Where it's placed will be an argument, sure, but I doubt they'll have too much trouble getting it into the top 10 at the end of the year.

I don't know. Patrick seems to piss and shit indie and platformer.

#17 Posted by EXTomar (4687 posts) -

Keep in mind that although Spec-Ops is an important if not profound game, I also have to recognize it has bad controls and contrived combat situations for specific reasons. It is games like Journey and Spec-Ops that show how silly GOTY discussions can be.

#18 Edited by bushpusherr (778 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@bushpusherr said:

@JasonR86 said:

I think it only seems that way because he spends a lot of time on the site covering smaller games that otherwise wouldn't be covered, which is why we see so many quick looks with Patrick piloting them. I doubt there would be any coverage at all of a lot of those games if Patrick wasn't doing it. Also, just look at his top 10 list from last year...Sword and Sorcery is really the only super "indie" title on there.

#19 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

@bushpusherr said:

@JasonR86 said:

@bushpusherr said:

@JasonR86 said:

I think it only seems that way because he spends a lot of time on the site covering smaller games that otherwise wouldn't be covered, which is why we see so many quick looks with Patrick piloting them. I doubt there would be any coverage at all of a lot of those games if Patrick wasn't doing it. Also, just look at his top 10 list from last year...Sword and Sorcery is really the only super "indie" title on there.

Eh.

#20 Posted by AlexW00d (6236 posts) -

I don't know what Sound shapes is, but I know what this is, so I don't understand either. I don't think either games are major.

#21 Posted by MaxxS (200 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@bushpusherr said:

@JasonR86 said:

You're not wrong about that. Brad was gushing about Journey on Tested's Octoberkast just recently. Dude loves him some Journey.

#22 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Kind of off-topic... but Giant Bomb needs a page that is easily found that lists all releases in a specific year and have it be filterable.

(PLEASE let me know if I am wrong and this exists, because I would love to use such a page.)

#23 Edited by mnzy (2914 posts) -

@xobballox said:

Kind of off-topic... but Giant Bomb needs a page that is easily found that lists all releases in a specific year and have it be filterable.

(PLEASE let me know if I am wrong and this exists, because I would love to use such a page.)

GB needs some filter and sort options, yes. The database is really good now, but apart from looking at a single games site, it's not really worth much.

Also, I don't really like that Patrick does all the indie Quick Looks now. Not that he's bad. It's just that before, we got all sorts of angles and now we pretty much get one, which sucks.

#24 Posted by Brodehouse (9876 posts) -

I feel it way more 'useful' to know if Jeff likes an 'indie game' rather than Patrick because Patrick automatically likes anything indie on pure principle. That's not useful to me in qualitative terms. Which is funny because we share a lot of likes, but it feels like he prefers the credibility of the games more than the games themselves. Maybe that's just me being a judgey twat. But "this game is incredible because you run instead of fight" ... No, it's just a different gameplay loop, you judge games on the quality of the gameplay, not the conceit that drives it. I don't care if I run or fight with a gun or a knife or drive a car or match blocks, I want it to control good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.