"...one of the most amazing gaming experiences of my life"

#1 Edited by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1726 posts) -

An incredible thing happened last night. I had an amazing gaming experience the like of which I have never experienced before. I've been playing games for over three decades, which is officially a long time, so any new experience is not an insignificant achievement. And this particular thing that happened blew my mind.

The game I was playing was Journey

Article:  http://www.gamesradar.com/so-last-night-i-had-one-most-amazing-gaming-experiences-my-life-what-happened/ 

I was pretty hesitant about Journey's promise of delivering such a high-concept game experience, but this article has just made this a day one purchase. It's pretty short, I recommend you read it.
#2 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

I totally forgot this game was coming out, back during announcement i was so hype for it (loving their earlier games) hopefully this can be an equally unique experience!

#3 Edited by Icemael (6314 posts) -

Drop-in drop-out co-op with random players is not a new thing. But I guess because an indie developer made this and it's artsy and shit it's incredible and emotional and totally groundbreaking, like when Flower did collectathon missions and shitty Sixaxis controls.

Also, I find it hilarious that this article doesn't actually say anything about the game. It doesn't even talk about what the co-op play entailed, even though the entire thing is about co-op specifically. "I met a random player and we stuck together and did shit that I'm not going to talk about and then I felt deeply emotionally connected to him". Mind-blowing indeed. New-school games "journalism" at its finest.

#4 Posted by kishinfoulux (2277 posts) -

Already sick of hearing about this game. It's indie, has a stylized look, is artsy fartsy, no gameplay...

BEST GAME EVER!!!!

#5 Posted by ADAMWD (580 posts) -

Too bad it is PS3 only.

#6 Posted by Demoskinos (14724 posts) -

I feel put off (possibly wrongly) about this game because the whole thing just feels pretentious as hell.

#7 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I feel like I need to slap the author of that article in the face to get him to snap out of it.

#8 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Icemael: @Icemael said:

Drop-in drop-out co-op with random players is not a new thing. But I guess because an indie developer made this and it's artsy and shit it's incredible and emotional and totally groundbreaking, like when Flower did collectathon missions and shitty Sixaxis controls.

Also, I find it hilarious that this article doesn't actually say anything about the game. It doesn't even talk about what the co-op play entailed, even though the entire thing is about co-op specifically. "I met a random player and we stuck together and did shit that I'm not going to talk about and then I felt deeply emotionally connected to him". Mind-blowing indeed. New-school games "journalism" at its finest.

Remember the rules.

Don't be a dick.

#9 Posted by obcdexter (591 posts) -

I don't doubt the author of that article to speak the truth. It did blow him away. And, why shouldn't that be possible? Obviously he will (and does already) recommend it. Why is that bad?

I liked this little cryptic inside information. Sure did a good job at describing what part of the game amazed him so much: The unique feeling interacting with another player in Journey gave him. I found that part pretty intriguing, to be honest

#10 Edited by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

I wish he described more of what actually happened. I get not wanting to spoil anything, but I would've liked more than "I walked next to a guy and it was mind blowing." Maybe the game is truly amazing, but without support, this just looks like empty hyperbole.

#11 Posted by Bucketdeth (8005 posts) -

Shit fuck, I want this game/experience now.

#12 Posted by Dagbiker (6957 posts) -

Hey guys how about a game where you wander around a dessert forever. Any way we can make this game not suck?

#13 Posted by crazyleaves (643 posts) -

I'm looking forward to it but I really like their past games. I've never really played anything like them before.

Haters gonna hate.

#14 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11587 posts) -

"Yo man. I was like... wandering through a desert. And then I saw another guy. And we like... hung out, but I can't tell you what we saw because it was too special. It was revelatory bro. Video games will never be the same for me now."

That's basically the tone of this article. Of course, considering all the fawning praise that was spouted about Flower and Flow, I kind of expected the proponents of "new games journalism" to eat it up. I guarantee that Patrick will be praising it like crazy when that bombcast rolls around (maybe write an article or two), and perhaps Brad as well.

#15 Posted by BonOrbitz (2182 posts) -

I don't want to read the article in fear of spoilers. I already know it'll be a day 1 purchase for me, pretentious hub-bub aside.

#16 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

Sounds a little bit hyperbolic. A little bit.

#17 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Quotes like this just make me not want to play the game because I know I won't get the same experience. I feel the author is just letting his hard-on for the company speak instead of him really feeling this way. I can't fathom it.

#18 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -

When do you shoot the flowers?

#19 Posted by Winternet (8012 posts) -

It's been getting unanimous high scores. I'm pretty excited for it.

#20 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -

@Vegetable_Side_Dish: Thanks so much for posting that article, didn't know gamesradr had such thoughtful and intriguing writers.

I was pretty set on getting this game either way, but the fact that the writer of that article couldn't tell if it was an AI or a human play both scares me and puts a smile on my face.

In any case, great article and I can't wait to play.

#21 Edited by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1726 posts) -
@Icemael@kishinfoulux@Demoskinos@Unknown_Pleasures@Slaker117@ArbitraryWater@CptBedlam:  
I get the sentiment guys, and I actually share it. I've seen a lot of 'indie' games get higher praise than I believe they deserve, where they are simply borrowing mechanics or a 'retro' look from games I've played before, and the lack of scope or substance in the game is excused because it is an 'indie' title.   

Thing is, I don't believe any of that applies to this game. I like slow-paced games, so maybe it's just me, but I think this game looks like...wait for it....fun. I think exploring a beautiful looking world looks like fun. I'm not going to buy the game because I want the game to 'push the medium forward' or feel superior because I'm buying a niche title, or in search for some higher form of pleasure. I just like fun, and that's why I'm looking forward to the game. 
#22 Posted by Fallen189 (4975 posts) -

@TentPole said:

Also, I find it hilarious that this article doesn't actually say anything about the game. It doesn't even talk about what the co-op play entailed, even though the entire thing is about co-op specifically. "I met a random player and we stuck together and did shit that I'm not going to talk about and then I felt deeply emotionally connected to him". Mind-blowing indeed. New-school games "journalism" at its finest.

Remember the rules.

Don't be a dick.

He's just being honest

#23 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@Vegetable_Side_Dish: Hey, no one said it's not gonna be a great game and experience. He still sounds a little bit hyperbolic. There's a good bit of this "look at this hot shit that I'm playing right now and you don't" thing going on which game journalists sometimes fall into. ;)

#24 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -
@Vegetable_Side_Dish: I don't have any problem with the game, it seems at least interesting, it's just that article says nothing. I'll have to play the game before I comment on it one way or another, but the writing is poor regardless.
#25 Posted by RE_Player1 (7557 posts) -

Flower is probably in my top 5 games of all time so I am expecting Journey to be just as good if not better than that. Can't wait.

#26 Edited by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Fallen189 said:

@TentPole said:

Remember the rules.

Don't be a dick.

He's just being honest

It is not a game that can be summed up as a list of game mechanics. What is unique is not that you are playing with other player but rather how it is presented.

masses of people all trying to find the right path forward, working together, not knowing the names or locations of their virtual friends, singing songs into an endless desert. - Penny Arcade Report

#27 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

Don't really care for the article or the writing, but as far as the game's concerned, I've been curious about it ever since I first saw it. It's still as intriguing to me as it was when I first heard of it.

#28 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4689 posts) -

Oh shit, this is out?

#29 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@GunslingerPanda: Next week for PSPlus subscribers. The week after that for everyone else.

#30 Posted by avidwriter (667 posts) -

-_- This "game" is barely a game and game journalists are praising it like the second coming of Jesus. Really? This is one of those games, that reviews adore but everyone else is probably going to be "meh" over. I saw GB coverage and it was like, this is barely a game.

#31 Posted by rawrsair (821 posts) -

I'm quite looking forward to this , looks interesting. I haven't read any articles though in case it spoils anything

#32 Posted by mnzy (2914 posts) -

The game is getting amazing reviews all around. It's at 92 on metacritic right now.

#33 Posted by Milkman (16618 posts) -

Early word for this has been fairly absurd. As one of the few people who loved Flower (or at least I feel like one of a very few), I'm very excited to see how it turns out.

#34 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -

This is one of my most anticipated games this year. Exploring a breathtaking world is all the fun I need in a game. I remember getting lost in Shadow of the Colossus and World of Warcraft. I would wander around in those games just to see the scenery. If this game can match the natural beauty of those games, it will be amazing.

#35 Posted by xyzygy (9935 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

I feel put off (possibly wrongly) about this game because the whole thing just feels pretentious as hell.

This. I felt the same way with Flower too. It was boring as hell and just a bunch of pretentious artsy farsty "simplicity" feigned as innovative concepts.

#36 Posted by themangalist (1731 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

@Demoskinos said:

This. I felt the same way with Flower too. It was boring as hell and just a bunch of pretentious artsy farsty "simplicity" feigned as innovative concepts.

I would love to hear you guys' opinion on Bastion.

#37 Edited by Etnos (245 posts) -

@Icemael: sounds like you just want to be hostile with the game for no good reason.

cool story thou.

@Demoskinos said:

"Pretentious" Why?

#38 Posted by spankingaddict (2660 posts) -

@TentPole said:

@GunslingerPanda: Next week for PSPlus subscribers. The week after that for everyone else.

What ? Yes ! Will it be discounted as well ?

#39 Posted by Stepside (509 posts) -

Looks cool. I'll probably pick it up - I actually really enjoy these type of art-project games (i.e. Eden's Child, Flower, Dear Esther).

#40 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4664 posts) -

Out of curiosity, is there a point to this game? A mystery to solve, if you will? The materials I've seen strike me as in the vein of Team Ico titles, but I'm not sold on whether or not there's any mystery to explore. If it's just wandering around environments and occasionally jumping, I'll pass. I need a little something more from my games.

#41 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon: Just played through this.

There is a goal.

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

Buy this game.

#42 Posted by RE_Player1 (7557 posts) -

I hate to be one of those people that say this is the greatest game ever right after they play it but I can honestly say it's in my top 5 all time games. An amazing experience and it had me teary eyed at spots. Well worth the $15.

#43 Posted by Addfwyn (1917 posts) -

Agreed, it IS an amazing experience, but I understand why the original article is a bit vague. It's really really hard to say anything about the game that does it justice without also absolutely spoiling it. It makes it a really hard game to talk about with people who haven't played the game so I don't envy the review writers who have to try to.

There's a lot more of a goal than you'd think, and a lot more variety than you'd think as well I can safely say.

#44 Posted by adam1808 (1425 posts) -

since when did Matt Cundy write real articles?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.