thatgamecompany’s Journey Kicks Off PSN “Spring Fever” Next Month

• 59 results
Posted by patrickklepek (4926 posts) -
As with other thatgamecompany projects, Journey doesn't look like anything else out there.

I realize it’s part of my job to see games long before they’re finished, but there are some games from some developers that I’d be happy to keep my prying eyes away from until the game’s actually done.

Journey is one of those games, and designer Jenova Chen has announced the details we’ve all been waiting for about his studio’s latest creation on the PlayStation Blog this morning.

On March 13, Journey and a $14.99 price tag kicks off a “Spring Fever” event on PlayStation Network.

There will be other games released as part of "Spring Fever," but those details are coming later.

“The Journey in the game has also become a metaphor for the development process of the game itself,” said Chen. “Our team is very close to our own mountaintop; we are just a few short weeks away from letting the world experience what we’ve poured our hearts and souls into these last three years. I can’t describe how eager we are to let everyone finally play the game and hear about your experiences with it.”

Well, looks like I’ll be playing Flower again over the weekend.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (4926 posts) -
As with other thatgamecompany projects, Journey doesn't look like anything else out there.

I realize it’s part of my job to see games long before they’re finished, but there are some games from some developers that I’d be happy to keep my prying eyes away from until the game’s actually done.

Journey is one of those games, and designer Jenova Chen has announced the details we’ve all been waiting for about his studio’s latest creation on the PlayStation Blog this morning.

On March 13, Journey and a $14.99 price tag kicks off a “Spring Fever” event on PlayStation Network.

There will be other games released as part of "Spring Fever," but those details are coming later.

“The Journey in the game has also become a metaphor for the development process of the game itself,” said Chen. “Our team is very close to our own mountaintop; we are just a few short weeks away from letting the world experience what we’ve poured our hearts and souls into these last three years. I can’t describe how eager we are to let everyone finally play the game and hear about your experiences with it.”

Well, looks like I’ll be playing Flower again over the weekend.

Staff
#2 Posted by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

I really hope this is a success. It looks pretty damn good, but money is the thing that talks.

#3 Posted by Cyrisaurus (455 posts) -

$15 is a fucking steal for this game. Hot damn.

#4 Posted by sergeantbacon (3 posts) -

can't wait to pick this up.

#5 Posted by patrickklepek (4926 posts) -

I AM SO EXCITED.

Staff
#6 Posted by RE_Player1 (7561 posts) -

Setting aside $15 just for this game :D

#7 Posted by TheGanjaKing (63 posts) -

Nothing like spending the ides of March wandering around a marvelous landscape.

Now all I need to know is when Few will be released...

#8 Posted by therealminime (234 posts) -

I still have no idea what this game is but I am excited nonetheless. The visual style alone is fantastic.

#9 Edited by dezvous (548 posts) -

Had an awesome time playing a bunch of Journey at CES with Kellee Santiago, there was no line and people didn't seem to care about it. Game played so great and it was a lot of fun asking her questions about it. I felt like I was doing an interview haha. Everyone else ignoring Journey was really missing out. I can't wait for March 13th!

#10 Posted by JackSukeru (5917 posts) -

I'm not super excited or anything, but I'm looking forward to it.

I'm especially interested in seeing how it works online.

#11 Posted by nick_verissimo (1386 posts) -

YESSSS! There are only 3 games I was excited for going into this year. Bioshock Infinite, Tales of the Abyss and Journey. Glad to know that I'll be playing this in less than a month.

#12 Posted by CaLe (3996 posts) -

I like Jenova Chen but he won't return my calls any more.

#13 Posted by D_Man_Taylor (109 posts) -

Yes, finally! Gettin' this day one!

#14 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

Wish it was on vita..

#15 Posted by buckybit (1455 posts) -

I was lucky - in my case - recently. Never heard of Dear Esther before they launched the "Coming soon" site on Steam late December. Was curious ever since.

Games like Journey are the same for me = I notice and stay away from info as good as I can.

That's also the reason why I don't visit Irrational Games forums anymore, although having one of the first forum accounts. Too dangerous to see a spoilery Bioshock Infinite Forum Thread headline.

#16 Posted by umdesch4 (772 posts) -

First time I actually feel left out for not owning a PS3.

#17 Posted by Ehker (235 posts) -

Should be polished to a shine considering how long it took to make. Unless the team is super small; not sure the story behind the long development.

#18 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

Still don't know how I feel about this game....

#19 Posted by SomeJerk (3263 posts) -

Step 1) Secure something to get nicely intoxicated with
Step 2) Ensure there's enough snacks around
Step 3) Dig deeper into Journey

#20 Posted by Oni (2099 posts) -

I had spring fever, once. Couldn't sit still for a month.

#21 Posted by BooDoug187 (351 posts) -

Wow so not only do I get to see Guitar Wolf at the end of March but I will also get Journey! SWEET!

#22 Posted by BasketSnake (1213 posts) -

I played the beta. The sand....THE SAND.

#23 Posted by Atwa (621 posts) -

Yeees!! I have been waiting for Journey.

#24 Edited by Binarynova (150 posts) -

If Spring Fever starts with Journey and at some point includes Fez, the excitement will probably kill me. I haven't touched my 360 in months. It's just waiting for Fez at this point. This spring could be amazing.

#25 Posted by metalsnakezero (2299 posts) -

I can feel the hot sand already. Here is my $15 dollars thatgamecomany!

#26 Edited by Tidel (360 posts) -

This is the best thing that's ever happened throughout all of human history.

Note: It may not actually be the best thing that's ever happened throughout all of human history.

But man I'm jazzed for it.

#27 Posted by Chet_Rippo (236 posts) -

Anyone else think of the band whenever they see this?

#28 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

I'd pay a lot to see this on the 360 :/

#29 Posted by GunstarRed (5213 posts) -

So, so, so, so excited about this after the Beta. I made sure I didn't play it too many times because I didn't want to get sick of it.

#30 Posted by BoG (5191 posts) -

So, I'm buying this.

#31 Posted by Yossarian (56 posts) -

@Tidel said:

This is the best thing that's ever happened throughout all of human history.

Note: It may not actually be the best thing that's ever happened throughout all of human history.

But man I'm jazzed for it.

No, you had it right the first time.

#32 Posted by mrfluke (5199 posts) -

the amount of enthusiasm you have for this game, patrick, you gotta be the one to review journey  

#33 Posted by Tidel (360 posts) -

@Yossarian: It might be overstating the case, but all I have to say is...

...your move, cure for cancer.

#34 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -

Day 1

The money is waiting in my PSN account.

#35 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

Finally! :D

#36 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -

I know that the vibe for Journey has been coming from a good intent but I can't stop seeing how optimistic people are before its release. I have this feeling that it will get 9's and 5's already...

#37 Posted by Bumbuliuz (195 posts) -

I loved Flower and have been looking forward to this one for a while.

#38 Posted by Scodiac (470 posts) -

@ZeroCast: Yeah, I can see that. Some people will be like "I loved the great sense of exploration and discovery I experienced in this beautiful world thatgamecompany has created" and others will be like "This isn't a game. It's stupid and boring. I don't see how anyone could like this. Friggin' hipsters".

Personally, I like it and will probably enjoy the hell out of it.

#39 Posted by Protonguy (305 posts) -

Was sold on Journey after the quicklook (stopped watching midway). Didn't play much flower but this looks really good. Really like games where exploration and the sense of discovery are key.

#40 Posted by ericjohnson (52 posts) -

We sailed on together

We drifted apart

And here you are by my side

So now I run to you

With open arms...

I heard if you play this Journey song right when the thatgamecompany logo appears, it matches perfectly with the game. Trippy...

#41 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1689 posts) -

Been looking forward to this since, like, forever. So excited to finally get my hands on it! :D

#42 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

Glad to have a date and price.

#43 Posted by ZmillA (2272 posts) -

I'm pumped

#44 Posted by Sogeman (872 posts) -

Sooo, are there any plans for a PC release? I really want it but don't want to buy a PS3 for it.

#45 Posted by ezdude (396 posts) -

Yes! Finally! I hope it reinvigorates the feelings I had, when I was wondering through the world in Shadow of the Colossus.

#46 Edited by cloudnineboya (822 posts) -

buying the moment its on psn.waiting a long time for this, flower was really cool and different.

@buckybit just finished dear Esther, and wow cool little "game" more a experience really. eerie ans isolated the end is crazy!

#47 Posted by Vortextk (419 posts) -

I have some money left on psn, was going to get bloodrayne betrayal then read the reviews and critique on general consensus of "hard, like at times, really fucking hard" and I decided I liked my controller in one piece. "Replaying" flower before this game comes out seems like a good idea.

#48 Posted by Dodongo (97 posts) -

Journey release date!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

#49 Posted by Saganomics (200 posts) -

"There will be other games released as part of 'Spring Fever,' but those details are coming later."

I think it's safe to say that this is the only upcoming PSN game that actually matters.

#50 Posted by cooljammer00 (1810 posts) -

Don't let Vinny get his hands on it.

We don't need a repeat of the Flower situation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.