What happens?

#1 Posted by fusrodah (95 posts) -

I will never play Journey. I have access to a Wii, Xbox, 3DS and personal computer. I have no plans to ever buy a Playstation but all the talk about Journey really intrigues me. Does anyone want to tell me what happens in Journey? All the conversations about the game (in the Bombcast, on Whitta's twitter) make it seem like is has a real amazing story. Could someone spoil it for me?

#2 Posted by Twinsun (469 posts) -

It' doesn't really have a story in the traditional sense, so I think you might have been misled a bit.

#3 Posted by Winternet (8002 posts) -

@fusrodah: There's probably some complete walkthrough on youtube.

#4 Posted by GakuJiu (4 posts) -

The problem about spoiling the game is there is absolutely no words in the game. The story is vague and changes on the player's interpretation of what happens in the game. If you were to look for a general plot synopsis, it would be short, vague and confused with itself as there is really not much defined in it. It's more for the experience of playing it then knowing what happens in it anyways.

#5 Posted by Milkman (16514 posts) -

Not much really happens, per say. The game is more about the bonds you make with others and hardships that you face together. At least for me, anyway.

#6 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4623 posts) -
#7 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

Not to sound all hipster and meta but the story isn't the point man, it doesn't really have one. It's your story and journey as you play that really makes it something worth experiencing, the way you do things and explore, and the companions you have, it's more about the experience of playing it than any sort of enthralling plot or gameplay. Basically what I'm saying is the game is indie as shit.

#8 Posted by DeF (4798 posts) -

There is no "what happens" to explain to you. It's the experience of walking through the environment with or without another person that you can't really interact with but who'll be along for the ride for at least some time.

#9 Posted by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -

You jump in spots and it looks good.

#10 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

@fusrodah: Like what everyone has said, it is not so much a great story as much as a harmonized execution of tone, gameplay, music, and graphics. The game gives you a destination, you go there, you meet with people, you are faced with both beautiful scenery and moments that make you feel angelic and somewhat more tense moments that make you feel like your being hunted. It is a very artistic game, things are simplistic yet very ambitious and thats what gives it a charm. For instance the only way to communicate is via "chirping" but depending on how long you press circle the sound you character makes can sound like a variety of instruments. It is a sight to behold when I and another player were flying across the desert singing to each other never touching the ground.

The game builds to one point, come crashing down, and then Crescendos into an a beautiful moment of enlightenment and joy. Basically the game takes away the freedom it once gave you only to give it back in a moment that is kind of stunning. Everything comes together in a way that probably should be played.

Like the title says it really is a "journey," that is the point. Its more about meeting people and exploring that world than any real plot.

#11 Posted by GunstarRed (5021 posts) -

Walking and jumping and floating and sliding and hiding and falling over in the snow... and then jumping some more.

#12 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

You are on a pilgrimage to get the top of a great mountain. You travel over desert, underwater areas, and snowy peaks. You never reach the top however. No one does. The game is littered with these strange markers. I have a feeling they are gravemarkers for people who have failed before you. The end of the game has you slowly trying to push your way to to the peak, the snow and win bearing down on you. Movement speed slows to a crawl before you finally collapse and die. The end of the game is you exploring what can only be described as heaven which is absolutely gorgeous.

#13 Edited by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

If you really want to know exactly "how" it looks, like other said you can probably find something on Youtube.

A major part of "experiencing" it will definetly be lost, but it will at least give you some reference to what people are saying, and it will probably work alot better for giving you an idea what the game is than just having someone tell you exactly what happens.

#14 Posted by EXTomar (4489 posts) -

This is one of those stories or games where it is kind of hard to spoil it. You go on a journey. If you don't believe that can be a spoiler or profound and can't/don't want to play it then there is nothing more to say.

#15 Posted by senorfuzzeh (385 posts) -

Explaining what this game is all about would be like trying to explain why a piece of art is so beautiful to someone whose never seen it...

It just won't be the same unless you see it for yourself.

#16 Posted by DonutFever (3549 posts) -

You go on a journey.

#17 Posted by Hector (3354 posts) -

@Milkman said:

Not much really happens, per say. The game is more about the bonds you make with others and hardships that you face together. At least for me, anyway.

This! It's not about the goal of the journey, it's about the people you meet that accompany you throughout the game.

#18 Posted by Hunkulese (2640 posts) -

You see a light. You hold forward towards the light for a couple of hours and then you freeze and die. Then you fly around a mountain for a bit and then the game fades to white.

#19 Posted by Fattony12000 (7030 posts) -

@Barrock said:

You are on a pilgrimage to get the top of a great mountain. You travel over desert, underwater areas, and snowy peaks. You never reach the top however. No one does. The game is littered with these strange markers. I have a feeling they are gravemarkers for people who have failed before you. The end of the game has you slowly trying to push your way to to the peak, the snow and win bearing down on you. Movement speed slows to a crawl before you finally collapse and die. The end of the game is you exploring what can only be described as heaven which is absolutely gorgeous.

Having just played through this astonishing game, I have to give my opinion as to why I think you're just a little bit wrong on a couple of those points up there.

I know which bits you mean by the 'underwater areas', but I don't think you ever get beneath the surface of any body of water until the very end (at the top of the mountain), those areas are there to evoke the feeling of being beneath the sea, and mimic it in a lot of ways, but you aren't actually swimming around down there. After all, you only ever have the ability to jump/fly/glide throughout the whole game, not swim. I think the closest you do get to swimming is that area with the large central golden pillar that fills up the room as you chime at the murals, the 'lifeforms' that you meet there, along with the sensation of floating, are more like the world of Journey's equivalent to water. Until you reach the top of the mountain/heaven/salvation/the matrix of course. Which I believe is the only place you see running water.

You do reach the top, it shows you getting recycled into a shooting star and passing other travellers on their way up the mountain. You become one of those things that helps them on their Journey as well. There is something mystical that happens with those tall white-cloaked people at the end, yes, but I still think you are completing your quest. Maybe you do it in a slightly different form compared to how you start the game, maybe you have to 'die' in the freezing cold, all alone, still trying your hardest to get up there in order to prove your worth to these gods or spirit people.

I do agree on your point of the grave markers though, very sad to see so many.

@fusrodah: Here's my complete first time playthrough of the game, just for you! I tell you, it was a journey to get this beast uploaded (it took me over 22 hours), but just like the game, it was well worth it.

The music is utterly superb.

The visuals are utterly jaw-dropping. Both the art direction and graphics are so well done.

If you get the chance to play through the game with just the right kind of people (or person), then boy oh boy does it really make every beat of the story hit that much harder. From the pure feeling of exhilaration and joy that you get when surfing down shimmering black and gold mountains of sand, to the fear and loneliness you feel when traversing the dark blue depths, trying to avoid that which lurks beneath. God damn did they make a stunning game, a short one, yes, but stunning nonetheless.

#20 Posted by JasonR86 (9604 posts) -

@fusrodah said:

I will never play Journey. I have access to a Wii, Xbox, 3DS and personal computer. I have no plans to ever buy a Playstation but all the talk about Journey really intrigues me. Does anyone want to tell me what happens in Journey? All the conversations about the game (in the Bombcast, on Whitta's twitter) make it seem like is has a real amazing story. Could someone spoil it for me?

The game begins with a white light that flies through sand dunes. Eventually the camera pans to a character sitting in the sand. You start as this character who is staring at and, apparently, trying to get to a mountain off in the distance. As you work your way there, you'll start to see different tombstones that look to be for fallen beings similar to the main character. You'll come across two other types of being, beings that help the main character and beings that attack the main character. You're given the impression that the good guys in this world have been wiped out by the bad ones who seem to roam the world free and persecute the good guys at will. Eventually, evading the bad guys, you come to the foothills of the mountain you've been trying to reach. You trudge through ice and snow in an attempt to reach the mountain. Eventually, your character collapses overwhelmed by the cold and wind of the foothills. As you fall the mountain, still in the distance, disappears. From this point on a lot of interpretation is required. What literally happens is that you are treated to a cutscene where a light bathes your character's still body and you start to rise changing from wearing a red uniform to a white one. This new white uniform matches the uniform of another 'good guy' being who you have seen at the end of each stage. These other beings look like the main character but, again, wear white and are taller. You eventually fly straight up in the air passing all the enemies and through the clouds. You, along with the other 'good guy' beings, start to fly towards the mountain peak you've been trying to reach. You land on the peak and start to walk toward a crevice in the mountain which is completely white and looks otherworldly. The main game ends as you walk into this white abyss. As the credits roll a white light, similar to the light at the beginning, flies through the stages you had gone through all the way back to the beginning of the game where you first saw the protagonist.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.