Junction Point has been shutdown

#1 Edited by PHenry1991 (137 posts) -

More Sad news after a few days of sad news.

http://kotaku.com/5979884/the-studio-behind-epic-mickey-has-shut-down

Hope these people find work soon. It sucks that all the studio will be known for is two sub-par games.

#2 Posted by SomeJerk (3130 posts) -

Not just bad, but laughably, unbelievably, "who cleared this for release" when it comes for EM2 WiiU.

I hope they all get a better chance.

#3 Posted by oraknabo (1453 posts) -

While I have a lot of respect for Warren Spector, I think the games he's worked on have only been as good as the development team he's working with. I think in 2 games, it's pretty clear that these guys weren't capable of much more than what they did with the Mickey games. The general idea and tech was kind of neat, but the gameplay wasn't anything special and the objectives could be really confusing. I just don't see either as a great example of game design or execution.

Who knows what else these guys would have made if they weren't paid to do a Disney platformer, but I doubt they would have made a game that tops Deus Ex or sets some kind of new standard for games.

#4 Posted by Brodehouse (9524 posts) -

Unsurprising.

As an aside, and this isn't an attack OP, I think we need to grow past the doom-and-gloom closure story. Because there are no rootin-tootin opening stories. There are the occasional hiring stories, but only immediately following a closure story (Crytek is picking up a bunch of Junction Point, Vigil and BioWare Austin employees). If I judged the industry by closure stories, it would mean that every person who has ever worked in the industry is currently unemployed. And hungry..!

#5 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3721 posts) -

Sorry to see people lose jobs but they couldn't really make a quality game.

Hope to see Warren Spector on something more Deus Ex like.

#6 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Good. Now maybe he can help make the next Deus Ex game.

#7 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

It's been a sad start to the year for video games. Hope they all find jobs soon.

#8 Posted by BisonHero (6055 posts) -
@oraknabo I get the sense that now that Warren is a dad and older, he wants to make kids' games. Because he clearly has the résumé to get on a project more like Dishonored. So I assume he went out of his way to seek a project like Epic Mickey. Which is a bummer, because "obscure Disney references platformer" is just not a great starting point, and he didn't really inject it with any amazing ideas (regardless of the talents of the dev team).
#9 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3721 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@oraknabo I get the sense that now that Warren is a dad and older, he wants to make kids' games. Because he clearly has the résumé to get on a project more like Dishonored. So I assume he went out of his way to seek a project like Epic Mickey. Which is a bummer, because "obscure Disney references platformer" is just not a great starting point, and he didn't really inject it with any amazing ideas (regardless of the talents of the dev team).

They were making some sort of ninja game or something involved with Ang Lee before Epic Mickey if I remember correctly (can anyone find information about this? Can't now, but I recall it)... being bought by Disney surely shaped the direction of the studio.

I don't think he was dragged against his will, but I won't be surprised at all if he makes something more adult next.

#10 Posted by PHenry1991 (137 posts) -

@Brodehouse: Yeah you've got a point. I mean you hear stuff about Epic, and Crytek taking these people and forming new studios for them. It's great, and uplifting. I try to ignore the doom and gloom, but lately that's about all there was. (At the same time, a lot of those THQ studios were saved by other publishers and developers.) So there's some sunshine in all that D&G.

#11 Edited by oraknabo (1453 posts) -

@BisonHero: @ArtisanBreads:

Spector has some interesting ideas about trying to make games that aren't so dependent on violence. I just hope he still realizes that you can do that in other places than a cartoon platformer for kids. I'm sure Disney thought he was perfect for this project because of his involvement with the Toon tabletop RPG and his clout as a game produces/designer but I also think he could have brought a hell of a lot more to this game than what is basically a mediocre Mario Sunshine clone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.