I guess you can't play Game Room games on a netbook (or can you?)

#1 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

I posted this up on the super PC friendly sister-site Tested.com, but I figured I'd post this little inquiry here as well.

So I downloaded Microsoft Game Room on my desktop today, and it's pretty cool. I bought Jungler (of coarse) and have been playing on the PC and Xbox just fine. In a perfect world, I'd be able to install Game Room on my tiny netbook I got for Christmas. Unfortunately, when I try to run gameroom, I get this message: "Game room requires a video card that supports shader model 3.0 -  your video card does not meet these requirements."

Which is totally predictable and understandable. I didn't get the NetBook for games, anyway (although it will run WoW just fine, slow, but fine.)

I'm just bummed because I figured the NetBook could handle 30 year old games, but it's the client built around these games that the Netbook can't handle. Is there anything you can do to... I don't know, YOU'RE the PC experts, not me. Any help would be awesome (But I'm just going to assume I'm shit out of luck.) 

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
#3 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

Well the plan is to eventually have more and more powerful games, it seems, so having a higher overall system requirement set would allow room to grow in the future.  

Still for the time being Microsoft should make a version without the 3D wrapper element.  Until then, you're shit outta luck.

#4 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" Sort of like this? "
Forgive me for not noticing some douche and his 'lol system requirements' thread.

...also, it should have been in the Jungler forum.
#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" Sort of like this? "
Forgive me for not noticing some douche and his 'lol system requirements' thread.  ...also, it should have been in the Jungler forum. "
I meant is that what your are talking about. I admit ya that title is a bit strange. 
#6 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -
@TooWalrus: Which netbook do you own?
#7 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -
@RsistncE said:
" @TooWalrus: Which netbook do you own? "
It's an Hp Mini, Intel Atom 1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, I got Windows XP on purpose. It's awesome, it does exactly what I want it to do, the only bummer is the graphics card that dropped right out of 2004.
#8 Posted by Mmmslash (2170 posts) -
@TooWalrus:  To be honest, I have an Aspire 1410, which has a dual-core processor, and playing anything past 2000 is basically a pipe dream.

I've found Tycoon games are your best bet, as long as you stick to your classics. I've put about 40 hours into Open-Transport Tycoon Deluxe, I got to rediscover and old classic, and had a total blast doing it.
#9 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -
@Mmmslash said:
" @TooWalrus:  To be honest, I have an Aspire 1410, which has a dual-core processor, and playing anything past 2000 is basically a pipe dream.  I've found Tycoon games are your best bet, as long as you stick to your classics. I've put about 40 hours into Open-Transport Tycoon Deluxe, I got to rediscover and old classic, and had a total blast doing it. "
Lol, I've got Diablo II, Starcraft and Warcraft III installed that I still haven't played yet, so if I'm ever separated from my Xbox and Desktop... I've got SOMETHING to do, and they play just fine.
#10 Posted by Pazy (2601 posts) -

Its a pretty annoying thing since currently the only that seems like it would need shader model 3.0 is the interface.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.