Fond memories of Rampage Edition...

#1 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

I recall this, along with Comix Zone and Sonic 2 as being one of my FAVORITE Sega Genesis games.  It was also one of the few that, at my young age, I beat, as both the Raptor and Dr. Grant.  Anybody else remember this as being one fun as hell game to play?

#2 Posted by Xeno (130 posts) -

Seeing as I wrote a huge article about it, I'm going to have to way agree with you.

#3 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

I know, I gave that a read.  That picture of Grant getting eaten by the T-Rex, that's still something that gets stuck in my head.
Incinerating dinos with a flame thrower, riding the Galimimus, running around as a raptor.
That game just had so many things that I'd never done before in a video game... some of which I've still never done.

#4 Posted by Xeno (130 posts) -

Yeah, really. Why can't you ride dinosaurs in video games anymore? You think it'd be a no brainer.

#5 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

I really don't know.  Someone should start badgering game developers for a dino-riding game.  I know that Golden Axe game is gonna have you riding like those... bastardized dragons or whatever, but I want to be able to hijack a triceratops!

#6 Posted by Vaxadrin (2297 posts) -

I still have the cartridge for this game.  I'm quite suprised others out there love this game as much as I do, as emphasized by this lengthy page.  I did a similar labor of love for Toejam & Earl.

#7 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

I know I have it around here somewhere, packed away with my Genesis.

#8 Edited by Vaxadrin (2297 posts) -

This was actually my obscurity litmus test when this site first launched.  It was the very first title I popped into the search field.  I was dismayed there was no page originally.

I just remember this game blowing my mind as a kid given how violent it was for the time back then.  I think it was the first game where you could char enemies with flamethrowers and have them fall into a pile of ash, shock them and see their skeletons in the sprite animation, or even see Dr. Grant mauled by a T-rex.  Kids these days got no perspective, growing up playing Gears of War & Ninja Gaiden 2 with gibs flying everywhere.

The funny thing is, I was a fan of the original JP, and when I saw there was a new one, I thought "Oh neat.  A new Jurassic Park game."  I rented it and took it home, only to say "Holy crap!  This is awesome!"  Bunny hopping around firing shotguns...not what I expected at all.

Oh, and I shat bricks during the final fight.  Sweaty palms galore.  That sequence still gets my blood pumping.

#9 Edited by Xeno (130 posts) -

Yeah, that final fight was as intense and difficult as hell.

And I remember always having such a hard time getting to that last level, I would sometimes let the game sit at the title screen so I could get a glimpse of the stage.

Vaxadrin said:

I just remember this game blowing my mind as a kid given how violent it was for the time back then.  I think it was the first game where you could char enemies with flamethrowers and have them fall into a pile of ash, shock them and see their skeletons in the sprite animation, or even see Dr. Grant mauled by a T-rex.  Kids these days got no perspective, growing up playing Gears of War & Ninja Gaiden 2 with gibs flying everywhere.

Exactly. Some of the greatest things about this game:

Ow.
Ow.
Double ow.
#10 Posted by TheWesman (378 posts) -

I'm glad there's other fans out there for this game.  It was great and so was the first one!

#11 Posted by AzureFlame (17 posts) -

I wished they would release this as a download for the consoles. This game was awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.