Jurassic Park: The Game Arriving on a Disc for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3

Posted by patrickklepek (4127 posts) -

I've written about as many stories regarding Telltale Games this week as PlayStation Network, it feels. 

First, the company revealed Jurassic Park: The Game was being pushed back until this fall, citing the need for additional polish. Then, it released a cyptic press release about obtaining a publishing licensor agreement for Xbox 360--something Telltale would need to publish at retail. Today, we know why.

Jurassic Park: The Game will be arriving on a disc for both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 later this year. The whole season will be packed on the disc, which raises a few questions about Telltale's plans. Does this rule out a downloadable, episodic release through Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network? Presumably, the PC and Mac crowd will still have the opportunity to buy and play episode-to-episode.

I've asked Telltale to better clarify what's up with their console plans, and I'll update if I hear anything.     

One can only hope Telltale will take the time to add a pile of dino droppings.
Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (4127 posts) -

I've written about as many stories regarding Telltale Games this week as PlayStation Network, it feels. 

First, the company revealed Jurassic Park: The Game was being pushed back until this fall, citing the need for additional polish. Then, it released a cyptic press release about obtaining a publishing licensor agreement for Xbox 360--something Telltale would need to publish at retail. Today, we know why.

Jurassic Park: The Game will be arriving on a disc for both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 later this year. The whole season will be packed on the disc, which raises a few questions about Telltale's plans. Does this rule out a downloadable, episodic release through Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network? Presumably, the PC and Mac crowd will still have the opportunity to buy and play episode-to-episode.

I've asked Telltale to better clarify what's up with their console plans, and I'll update if I hear anything.     

One can only hope Telltale will take the time to add a pile of dino droppings.
Staff
#2 Posted by ScunerMac (31 posts) -

Can't wait for it

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Again....When this xbox hits 88 miles per hour....

#4 Posted by papercut (3475 posts) -

Nothing against Telltale, but I don't think they'll be able to make much money selling their games on disc. Their format just works so well in the download market. 

#5 Posted by CarpetRemnant (374 posts) -

huh....well I'll get it either way but I always prefer XBLA to disc.

#6 Posted by Doomshine (149 posts) -
@papercut said:
" Nothing against Telltale, but I don't think they'll be able to make much money selling their games on disc. Their format just works so well in the download market.  "
Well, it's got the Jurassic park name on it.
#7 Posted by BonOrbitz (2184 posts) -

It's a bummer that we have to hold onto our butts 'til fall, but I appreciate anyone delaying a title for added polish.

#8 Posted by EuanDewar (4899 posts) -

Patrick you are so fucking on top of things, its cool to have news thats actually on time now.

#9 Posted by MachoFantastico (4650 posts) -

They could only do this with the Jurassic Park name on the cover. The episode distribution suits them perfectly, be fascinating to see how the game does. Not that they don't deserve a bigger audience, do a great job. 

#10 Posted by MeatSim (10834 posts) -

Physical copies of games? Madness!

#11 Posted by samsaturday (91 posts) -

Sounds good to me. This seems like the type of game that would be more fun to play on a big TV than on a monitor.

#12 Posted by BonOrbitz (2184 posts) -
@Doomshine said:
" @papercut said:
" Nothing against Telltale, but I don't think they'll be able to make much money selling their games on disc. Their format just works so well in the download market.  "
Well, it's got the Jurassic park name on it. "
That's true, but I wonder if the Jurassic Park brand carries any clout anymore. The book and the movie were great back in the day, but we haven't seen anything Jurassic Park since 2001.
#13 Posted by SSully (4164 posts) -
@papercut said:
I agree 100%. I would gladly pay 30 bucks for this. But from what I have seen it looks like a poor mans heavy rain, and I refuse to cough up 60 bucks if that is what they were expecting. 
#14 Posted by Cybexx (1165 posts) -

I was right!

#15 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2379 posts) -

Telltale and the ever story driven adventure game.

#16 Posted by Cameron (597 posts) -

So it's delayed on all platforms until September and it'll arrive on disc 'later this year'. Given that Telltale likes to do one episode a month tops, does this mean that they are just going to work on it all summer and release it as a finished package on all platforms in September? Surely if the full disc with all of the episodes comes out this year, then they can't start the episodes on PC in September.

#17 Posted by Enigma777 (6071 posts) -
@EuanDewar said:
" Patrick you are so fucking on top of things, its cool to have news thats actually on time now. "
Amen!
#18 Posted by clubside (20 posts) -

If only we could get a crossover with Turok, Richard Attenborough playing the sidekick of course.

#19 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

So the reason we are not playing the game now on PC is because they wanted to make it one big game instead of episodic for the consoles? Sigh...

#20 Posted by MightyJ77 (40 posts) -

Jurassic Park + Telltale adventure game + Xbox Achievements = A purchase by me

#21 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -

Hmm. I never think to buy a Telltale game on disc.

Actually, I barely ever think to buy a game on disc period for that matter. Most games I buy are downloadable...
#22 Posted by icytower38 (464 posts) -

Great news for me, I'll be picking up the 360 version at almost 100% certainty now.

#23 Posted by robbob88 (326 posts) -

Hmmm. Yeah. I'd rather have it as a download. 

#24 Posted by zoozilla (978 posts) -

Then, it released a cyptic press release

I believe this should be cryptic?
#25 Posted by virtorio (249 posts) -

I want a Trespasser remake. 

#26 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Just give me BTTF Episode 4 already!

edit: Wait a second... episode 4 is straight up missing from my steam list of All Games, but 1, 2, 3, and 5 are there.

#27 Posted by jvdgoot (73 posts) -

I think it's a good they've pushed the games back, that early look we got at Jurassic Park looked really choppy and unpolished.

#28 Posted by BasketSnake (1194 posts) -
#29 Posted by Stealthmaster86 (649 posts) -

@SSully said:

@papercut said:
" Nothing against Telltale, but I don't think they'll be able to make much money selling their games on disc. Their format just works so well in the download market. "
I agree 100%. I would gladly pay 30 bucks for this. But from what I have seen it looks like a poor mans heavy rain, and I refuse to cough up 60 bucks if that is what they were expecting.

I highly doubt that it will be 60. If it is 60 I would just wait till it drops its price.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.