Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Just Cause 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 23, 2010

Rico Rodriguez returns to explore another autocratic island nation in this explosion-laded followup to Just Cause.

DX10 Bullshit

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Leptok

That's complete bullshit, DX10 doesn't even run on a 360, but it's required for the PC version. wtf is that?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Leptok said:

" That's complete bullshit, DX10 doesn't even run on a 360, but it's required for the PC version. wtf is that? "

Because the PC version can be cranked up and look much nicer.  

This might come as a surprise. But PC is different then 360 in a few aspects and will require different stuff! 
    Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Leptok

Oh well, fuck it. I guess they don't want my money.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By nanikore
    @Leptok said:
    " Oh well, fuck it. I guess they don't want my money. "
    That's right. They specifically made DX10 a requirement because they don't want your money.
    salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By salad10203

It is microsofts move, the more games that require dx10 the more users that have to buy a new os, at least thats my theory

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Leptok
    @salad10203 said:

" It is microsofts move, the more games that require dx10 the more users that have to buy a new os, at least thats my theory "

Yes, that is why it pisses me off. 

@The_Laughing_Man
    said:

" @Leptok said:

" That's complete bullshit, DX10 doesn't even run on a 360, but it's required for the PC version. wtf is that? "

Because the PC version can be cranked up and look much nicer.   This might come as a surprise. But PC is different then 360 in a few aspects and will require different stuff!  "

The 360 version basically uses dx9, they could have left that mode in easily.
    DasSmiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DasSmiter

You can hack it into DX9 only mode if you're really that angry. 

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Leptok said:
    " @salad10203 said:

" It is microsofts move, the more games that require dx10 the more users that have to buy a new os, at least thats my theory "

@The_Laughing_Man
    said:

" @Leptok said:

Because the PC version can be cranked up and look much nicer.   This might come as a surprise. But PC is different then 360 in a few aspects and will require different stuff!  "
      The 360 version basically uses dx9, they could have left that mode in easily. "
    It looks much better on PC and it uses x10. Stop getting all mad and just get it for another system 
    Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Leptok
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Leptok said:
    " @salad10203 said:

@The_Laughing_Man
    said:

" @Leptok said:

The 360 version basically uses dx9, they could have left that mode in easily. "
    It looks much better on PC and it uses x10. Stop getting all mad and just get it for another system  "

PC 4 LYFE DAWG. 

I had a 360, for about 5 days. I took it back.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By PureRok

You're going to have to move on soon. Games aren't going to stay on DX9 forever. DX11 is already out. This, coupled with the fact that Microsoft has released two more Windows versions, means that you are just behind. Eventually XP is no longer going to be supported, so sitting here complaining about technology moving forward isn't going to help you at all.

Capncrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Capncrunk
    @Leptok: Should have used that refund money to buy Win 7
    Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Leptok
    @Galactik said:
    " @Leptok: Should have used that refund money to buy Win 7 "

I used it for a new vidya card. 

I'll upgrade when I get a new system. My wife uses 7, I like it. My problem is them stripping it out so MS can sell more in7.
    Capncrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Capncrunk
    @Leptok: so should they also make an original xbox version for those people refusing to buy a 360?
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pazy
    @Leptok said:
    " @Galactik said:
    " @Leptok: Should have used that refund money to buy Win 7 "
     I used it for a new vidya card.  I'll upgrade when I get a new system. My wife uses 7, I like it. My problem is them stripping it out so MS can sell more in7. "
    I wish they still supported DX7, Half Life 2 ran so much better on DX7! They have to move on at some point, two full versions of a Microsoft Operating System have been released since the last non-DX10 system and they already have DX11. They cannot support DX9 forever, most peoples cards at DX10 these days even my integrated laptop chipset supports DX10 (though its a terrible card and does anything over Counter Strike Source badly). You will just have to suck it up and upgrade, its how the PC world works. If they continue to support legacy systems it hinders current development.
    impalerXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By impalerXZ

There are no DX 9 or DX 10 on consoles you silly sauce. 

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Deusoma
    @Leptok said:
    " Oh well, fuck it. I guess they don't want my money. "
    I bought the PS3 version of Just Cause 2 specifically because you needed a gold account to download the demo on XBLM, whereas it was free on PSN. I guess Microsoft didn't want my money either.
    Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Leptok
    @impalerXZ said:
    " There are no DX 9 or DX 10 on consoles you silly sauce.  "
    360 is based off dx8. No it's not exactly the same, but it close to it.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By natetodamax

Can someone explain to me what DirectX10 is? I checked the wiki but it was late and I couldnt comprehend it

PISTOLcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PISTOLcm
    @natetodamax: Makes games look, and sometimes, run much better than it's previous versions.
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By korwin

There are good reasons for moving to a dx10/11 platform., and a good chunk of those reasons don't revolve around graphical features  That being said I'm not going to even try to reason with you. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Diamond
    @Leptok said:
    " @impalerXZ said:
    " There are no DX 9 or DX 10 on consoles you silly sauce.  "
    360 is based off dx8. No it's not exactly the same, but it close to it. "
    No, 360 is not based off of DX8.  While consoles do not follow DirectX, as was said, the 360's GPU has full DX9 support with some DX10 and DX10.1 extensions.  It supports some hardware tessellation (DX10.1 level), has unlimited shader lengths (DX10), among a few other things.

The PC version does add some extra effects, but it's conceivable there were effects in JC2 on 360 that required a DX10 GPU to run efficiently and ran off the PS3's Cell.  It wouldn't be the first time this happened.
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @natetodamax said:
    " Can someone explain to me what DirectX10 is? I checked the wiki but it was late and I couldnt comprehend it "
    Rendering program and toolset used to make Xbox and Windows games. It's Microsoft's proprietary code so if you want make a game on Wii, PS3, DS, PSP, iPhone, or any other platform you need OpenGL. Part of Valve's migration from Win to Mac was OpenGL support for the Source Engine.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Geno

XP has to go eventually dude. I mean, how long do you expect an OS to last? It's had a good run. I don't expect my Windows 7 to last until 2018. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Diamond

DX10 is not a program or a tool set.  It's an API (application programming interface), or rather a collection of them.

In layman's terms what DX10 does is tells your GPU, CPU, and many other components of your computer what to do.  A game or application 'talks' to DX10, DX10 'talks' to your hardware's drivers, then those drivers 'talk' to your hardware.  The reason for this is so programmers don't have to program a game to directly talk to every possible piece of hardware / driver out there.

A console like Xbox or PS3 doesn't have to use DirectX, OpenGL or any other non-console API if they don't want to.  As consoles usually have a single hardware make, or just a handful, it's much more efficient to just use APIs and drivers built just for the game / console.

As such few console games ever use PC APIs, and even when they do they're customized versions.  MS has a DX-like system in the 360, but it's not the same thing that's running on any PC.

One can say the Xbox 360 is fully DirectX9 compliant because of the hardware features the GPU has.  Look up concepts such as pixel shaders if you want to understand that path better.  Suffice it to say 360 goes a bit beyond DX9 functionality on PC.

Jiquk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By Jiquk

The Wii and PS3 use openGL where as the Xbox 360 DOES use DX10 and DX9 or at least some weird xbox derivatives.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Leptok: Yep. Progress should halt because you don't want to upgrade your OS/GPU. 

How could i possibly be so stupid... we should stop this damaging hardware iteration.
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By Mcfart

JC2 is the only game that you won't be able to run on XP right now, so you still have time to upgrade.

BTW guys, MS will be releaseing security updates for XP until 2014. That's 4 years from now and by then Windows 9 will probebly be out. Stop saying it like MS will cancel XP support tomorrow.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.