Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Just Cause 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 23, 2010

Rico Rodriguez returns to explore another autocratic island nation in this explosion-laded followup to Just Cause.

Holy crap this game is fun

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JoelTGM

I had no intention of buying it anytime soon, then I watched the gametrailers review and just figured why not and bought it for PS3.  I'm having a blast, the game is ridiculous.  I just finished the first mission which was a night time drop from a helicopter to go retrieve some important stuff that we lost when we got hit.  I had to get used to the fact that I can grapple anywhere, so even though I fell off the gondola I was supposed to ride, I just grappled onto some building and found myself looking down at some baddies with my dual pistols.  It's fun to get headshots and explosions look and sound great.  At the end there I took this big gatling gun, ripped it off it's mount, and started shredding everybody including several vehicles and a statue.  I'm glad I bought this, gonna go back to playing it now.  Also there's a video capture feature right in the pause menu that lets me upload straight to youtube from my PS3, that is really awesome.

Tested the upload feature.  Or rather my friend did.  He found the airport, and saw a jumbo jet there.  I told him it would be like GTA where you wouldn't be able to fly it, but he grappled onto it, and then jumped in haha.  Anyway, he wrecked it up.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By weltal

Yeah, I've only done the first required sort of missions and the rest of the 4 or 5 hours I've been playing is just complete random mayhem. So much fun. I'm a little disappointed in the video upload feature, I was hoping for some customization or at the very least the ability to view the video before you upload/download it. Still, neat anyways.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Baillie

Oh, that video capture feature sounds RAD. Any idea if that's also on the 360 version as I had that version ordered long ago.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By m1k3

i played the PC demo "extensively." I think i pretty much got that gist of what the game is. its fun for a little bit, but it does get boring after a while. Had the same problem with the Mercs. series.

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By fugie7

yeah just got home from work like 3 hours ago, pick this game at game stop and crack it open. still trying to get use to the controls and the grappling hook overall. the game is really great!  cant wait to play this tomorrow after work. right now i need some sleep.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By MildMolasses

I'm having the exact opposite experience. I find the controls to be to aggravating to be enjoyable, and I'm endlessly repeating missions due to events that I have no control over. Essentially Brad's problems with the GTA games are popping up for me here. I'm going to stick it out with the story missions, but any attempt I make at random mayhem quickly turns into pure frustration and reloading.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ProfessorEss

I'm enjoying it but with some mixed feelings. The original came out of nowhere, it was pretty rough but I loved it. I find JC2 kind of lacks a lot of that rough charm of the first.
    It's still fun, and from looks if it, huge.

ps: I've had a few loading issues on the 360 version (installed to HD) - it'll load, go black and hang for about 20 seconds or so, and then run.
    Curious if it's my copy, my box, or the game.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By yakov456

I have no mixed feelings, I love this game. It can be really hard sometimes, and the story is shit but it's just too much fun to give an F. The controls are a bit wonky but again the experience cancels it out for me. And I didn't even know about the youtube feature until I started to play, bonus. This game feels like what I always dreamed of  as a kid playing with action figures, imagining them flying around, blowing stuff up, driving off of a cliff and parachuting. If you hate fun, then I guess this game is not for you.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @yakov456 said:
    It can be really hard sometimes,
    I was a little surprised by the difficulty too.
    I'm playing on experienced, so maybe I should've expected it, but I didn't, and it seems it was just a matter of getting used to it.
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By yakov456
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " @yakov456 said:
    It can be really hard sometimes,
    I was a little surprised by the difficulty too. I'm playing on experienced, so maybe I should've expected it, but I didn't, and it seems it was just a matter of getting used to it. "
    The one thing I guess I would wish for in this game is a cover system. Sometimes the enemies are coming from all over and I feel overwhelmed.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @yakov456 said:
    The one thing I guess I would wish for in this game is a cover system. Sometimes the enemies are coming from all over and I feel overwhelmed.
    Maybe I would, but I just can't picture Double R hiding behind a wall.
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mmmslash

I was supposed to pick this game up on Tuesday, but I was a nice guy and lent the contents of my wallet to a family member in need. 

Now I don't get to play until NEXT Tuesday.

Being a nice person sucks =(

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By yakov456

Don't worry, Panau isn't going anywhere. It will still be there for you to blow up next week. Just play the demo some more, the week will fly by.

Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Mikewrestler5

I played the demo everyday since it was released. But it looks like I'll have to keep playing, as I have no money to purchase the game...

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DrPockets000

Had it paid off months ago, and just picked it up yesterday.  It's a ton of fun.  A lot of times I just get overwhelmed with my choices.  The more creative you are, the more fun the game is.  Literally 5 or 6 times, I said I was going to fly this plane to this building and then base jump from the building, but each time I got sidetracked by something I noticed en route.  I love it.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By yakov456

Yeah I notice that too, its a bit overwhelming and it's extremely easy to get sidetracked. I was in a jet and was about to abandon it, and then I saw another jet fly by so I decided to chase it and blow it out of the sky. Next thing I know I'm on the other side of the map and no where near my objective anymore.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jakob187

I........totally forgot this was coming out this week.  I now feel like I must commit seppuku. 

I'll end up playing it at some time.  I think I'm too hyped about SSFIV right now to focus properly.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ProfessorEss

Just wanted to add that having the entire MASSIVE island of Panau all just wide open right from go is wickedly refreshing. :)

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TwoOneFive

i agree

Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lambert

Open world game of the year.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " I had no intention of buying it anytime soon, then I watched the gametrailers review and just figured why not and bought it for PS3.  "
    "why not?" ? maybe because console games are pretty effing expensive and you shouldnt buy a game if to you its a "why not buy it.. ya.. "  game.  correct me if im wrong ofcourse :) 

@m1k3 said:
    " its fun for a little bit, but it does get boring after a while. Had the same problem with the Mercs. series. "
    thats whats stopping me from buying it...  you just move from one base to another and WOW them with some stunts then kick their ass.. im sure it'd get boring after 4 hours of gameplay.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JoelTGM
    @Ahmad_Metallic:  yeah I don't normally do that, but I figured because the next PS3 game I'm looking to get is probably GT5 in November (or whenever it was), I may as well just get a good mess around game like Just Cause 2.  I'd end up getting it over the next few months anyway.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic:  yeah I don't normally do that, but I figured because the next PS3 game I'm looking to get is probably GT5 in November (or whenever it was), I may as well just get a good mess around game like Just Cause 2.  I'd end up getting it over the next few months anyway. "
    i see... so, do u recommend the game ?
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JoelTGM
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic:  yeah I don't normally do that, but I figured because the next PS3 game I'm looking to get is probably GT5 in November (or whenever it was), I may as well just get a good mess around game like Just Cause 2.  I'd end up getting it over the next few months anyway. "
    i see... so, do u recommend the game ? "
    Yes it's a lot of fun, and the missions are pretty interesting.  Obviously the story is nothing special, but the characters don't take stuff seriously either and it's pretty funny sometimes.  Maybe wait for the GB review to hear Ryan's final thoughts on it, because the game isn't perfect, but it's so ridiculous it's great.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#25  Edited By sjschmidt93

Every time I look at this game I wish it had Red Factions destruction capabilities... it's be so much better.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JoelTGM
    @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " Every time I look at this game I wish it had Red Factions destruction capabilities... it's be so much better. "
    Every game would be better with that, but... in the end all the cities would be completely leveled lol.  There's a good amount of things to destroy still anyway.
    ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ht101

I am seriously considering picking this game up tomorrow.  I really don't have the money for it but it looks awesome and super fun to play.  I will probably just wait for it to come down in price though.

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28  Edited By Yit

This is seriously one of my favorite open world games. It's faster than GTA, stupid exaggerated like Crackdown, and actually has a somewhat interesting story. And, you know, explosions. I'm seriously thinking about buying a 360 copy in addition to my PC copy. Cause, you know. Points!

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By warxsnake

hmm yeah it was fun, for the first 4 hours or so 

I know I'm not supposed to focus on the piss poor mission structure/voice acting/story - as if thats an excuse anyway - but yeah, all that turns me off from doing the missions and story progression, thus it's getting incredibly repetitive; especially since at a certain point, you are obligated to do missions to unlock black market gear (weapons n shit). I find myself loading up the game, ordering the super fast agency aircraft, flying around dodging mountains, flying to the big crusier-blimp-thing-playing-house-music, killing everyone there, going to the airfield in the desert area, stealing an Eclipse fighter jet, bombard a few towns, go "okay im done", quit.  

I guess it serves its purpose between BFBC2 rounds of blowing shit up Single Plyr style without any assholes mortar striking you.  

oh yeah, one thing i love, paragliding forever with the sling thing

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#30  Edited By bed
    @Baillie said:
    " Oh, that video capture feature sounds RAD. Any idea if that's also on the 360 version as I had that version ordered long ago. "
    it isn't. PS3 exclusive feature for some odd reason. 
    W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
    @AjayRaz: In the words of Arthur Gies: Microsoft!
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Lambert said:

" Open world game of the year. "

Possibly Game of the Year period for me. I'm absolutely hooked and, as a collecting fanatic*, it seems like I could be playing this for quite a while.

...but then again, Red Dead Revolver looks real good too.  

(*I don't get hooked on all games collections, just games that do it right, and this one is particularly excellently implemented. I love how some are found with the little signal tracker while others are dots on the map. None of that "totally blind" bullshit that I hate.  And there's soooo much, it's kinda overwhelming - in a good way.)
    Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Tesla

There are lots of explosions and cool things going on, as long as you aren't shooting with standard weapons.  That is when the game is at its weakest.  I'm having a blast doing crazy shit though, I imagine I will play it for a solid week or so then send it back to Gamefly.  Perfect rental.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Capum15

I had concerns it would get old after a few hours.

I happily say that it hasn't. You'd think constant free-roam for hours would get boring real fast, guess I was wrong.

Though after this really, really long session I had I think I'm going to stop playing for a day or two. Kinda burnt out. Plus I need to keep chugging along with my Rome: Total War campaign.

karlman10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By karlman10

I bought this 'just cause' I could buy it. Nah, I just wanted to use a pun, it's awesome game but sometimes I wish you could shoot while crouching and didn't run out of ammo so much! I also love how the cars just go insanely out of control because of the smallest bump. Should play it lah.

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lilbigsupermario

damn i'm having too much fun with this game... in the 3 hours total play time for the day, did two faction missions for less than an hour, then for the rest of the time, I was just blowing stuff up and exploring.  I never thought exploring in this game can be a lot of fun hehe!

happygolucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By happygolucky

My brother bought this yesterday and let me play it for a bit. It is so awesome ^_^
    I can't afford it yet though grr.

csma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By csma

Flying the planes feels nice , but found the race frustrating... never finished  even one race mission i suck at that. 

Just Cause 2  

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By Snail

Why does this thread have over 1000 views?

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By warxsnake

i got bored of it fast, until i saw a mod on PC that allowed coop multiplayer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.