Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Just Cause 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 23, 2010

Rico Rodriguez returns to explore another autocratic island nation in this explosion-laded followup to Just Cause.

On The Cheap: November haul

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

Edited By Brackynews

I buy a lot of second hand or discounted games, though it takes forever to get around to playing them all. 
    In November I added the following bargains to my library:
    Disc: (all from Amazon.ca/Marketplace)
    $35 Singularity
    $30 Valkyria Chronicles
    $24 Katamari Forever
    $20 Call of Duty: WaW (special @ Future Shop/Best Buy)
    $17 Splinter Cell Conviction
    $10 Just Cause 2
    $5 Wanted: Weapons of Fate
    ==== 141 / 7 = $20.14 per game + S&H
    XBL:
    800msp Shank (33% off)
    400msp Scott Pilgrim (50% off)
    400msp Portal: Still Alive (67% off)
    400msp Monkey Island 2 (50% off)
    80msp Lost Odyssey DLC (90% off) :)
    Steam:
    $8.75 King's Bounty Collection
    $5.00 Indie Clever Pack
    App Store:
    $1 ChuChu Rocket 
    $4 Game Dev Story
    $3 Ridge Racer Accelerated
    $1 Phantasy Star II

Naturally these are the lowest prices that I have seen these titles for, but the copy of Just Cause 2 has an interesting twist to it.  When a game dips to an absurdly low price on Amazon.ca, I often find it’s from a Marketplace seller that is either on another continent, or otherwise lacking legitimacy somehow. Sometimes it’s an item listed as cart or disc only, which is fine when playing it is more important than collecting it.  But in this case, the listing clearly stated it was a backup disc. Well crap.  I reported this to Amazon a couple of different ways, and whether they eventually took it down or somebody bought it I can’t say, but it’s safe to admit that Amazon doesn’t try very hard to police their marketplace sellers.

So how did I get a legitimate copy of JC2 for the same price? It’s easy to explain if you’ve ever tried selling on Amazon. Your inventory page simply tells you whether you have the lowest price for a product, and nothing about who the other sellers are.  My legitimate supplier saw that 9.99 was the price to beat, and listed at 9.90, even though he was undercutting a pirate.  If anything I think it’s a bum rap that Amazon allowed such a clearly illegitimate listing to stay for so long, but I’m glad I caught the bargain.

Meanwhile XBLM continues to astound by discounting titles released mere months before.  I actually received my “cash back” bonus from the October promotion right when they said I should, so that was 800 extra points to drop without much inner debate on Shanking dudes.  Apparently there are silent sales going on more frequently as well! I read the Fable II DLC was reduced without any announcement, so I’m stuck waiting for a while longer before I nab Knothole Island.

Of course for the USA, Black Friday was the big push for bargains.  Every day I saw one or two titles that I would really enjoy for the prices they were asking, but Amazon.ca almost never reflects the same prices on the same titles. Different market, right? Yeah. I dunno, I guess we get free healthcare, so that’s probably the bigger savings? ;)  They did have “Black Friday Deals”, but the only title that I even thought twice about was Borderlands GOTY for $40. I think finishing the PC version I already have should be the plan before I decide to replay it for points.

December is already off to a CheapAss<tm> start! Can't wait for the Boxing day sales!
    >B

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brackynews

I buy a lot of second hand or discounted games, though it takes forever to get around to playing them all. 
    In November I added the following bargains to my library:
    Disc: (all from Amazon.ca/Marketplace)
    $35 Singularity
    $30 Valkyria Chronicles
    $24 Katamari Forever
    $20 Call of Duty: WaW (special @ Future Shop/Best Buy)
    $17 Splinter Cell Conviction
    $10 Just Cause 2
    $5 Wanted: Weapons of Fate
    ==== 141 / 7 = $20.14 per game + S&H
    XBL:
    800msp Shank (33% off)
    400msp Scott Pilgrim (50% off)
    400msp Portal: Still Alive (67% off)
    400msp Monkey Island 2 (50% off)
    80msp Lost Odyssey DLC (90% off) :)
    Steam:
    $8.75 King's Bounty Collection
    $5.00 Indie Clever Pack
    App Store:
    $1 ChuChu Rocket 
    $4 Game Dev Story
    $3 Ridge Racer Accelerated
    $1 Phantasy Star II

Naturally these are the lowest prices that I have seen these titles for, but the copy of Just Cause 2 has an interesting twist to it.  When a game dips to an absurdly low price on Amazon.ca, I often find it’s from a Marketplace seller that is either on another continent, or otherwise lacking legitimacy somehow. Sometimes it’s an item listed as cart or disc only, which is fine when playing it is more important than collecting it.  But in this case, the listing clearly stated it was a backup disc. Well crap.  I reported this to Amazon a couple of different ways, and whether they eventually took it down or somebody bought it I can’t say, but it’s safe to admit that Amazon doesn’t try very hard to police their marketplace sellers.

So how did I get a legitimate copy of JC2 for the same price? It’s easy to explain if you’ve ever tried selling on Amazon. Your inventory page simply tells you whether you have the lowest price for a product, and nothing about who the other sellers are.  My legitimate supplier saw that 9.99 was the price to beat, and listed at 9.90, even though he was undercutting a pirate.  If anything I think it’s a bum rap that Amazon allowed such a clearly illegitimate listing to stay for so long, but I’m glad I caught the bargain.

Meanwhile XBLM continues to astound by discounting titles released mere months before.  I actually received my “cash back” bonus from the October promotion right when they said I should, so that was 800 extra points to drop without much inner debate on Shanking dudes.  Apparently there are silent sales going on more frequently as well! I read the Fable II DLC was reduced without any announcement, so I’m stuck waiting for a while longer before I nab Knothole Island.

Of course for the USA, Black Friday was the big push for bargains.  Every day I saw one or two titles that I would really enjoy for the prices they were asking, but Amazon.ca almost never reflects the same prices on the same titles. Different market, right? Yeah. I dunno, I guess we get free healthcare, so that’s probably the bigger savings? ;)  They did have “Black Friday Deals”, but the only title that I even thought twice about was Borderlands GOTY for $40. I think finishing the PC version I already have should be the plan before I decide to replay it for points.

December is already off to a CheapAss<tm> start! Can't wait for the Boxing day sales!
    >B

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

Only one of the Steam Indie Packs? I bought all of them! Money well wasted. ;)
    I've never ventured out into the Amazon.ca Marketplace. That shit scares me.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Brackynews
    @LordAndrew:  I already have the "top" game in each Indie pack, so this was the only one with 3 more things I wanted to try. :)
    Also no Starscape featured in any of them. That game needs more 2010 love. What's wrong with being locked at 800x600?? WHAT?!?! :(
    If you like eBay at all you'll love marketplace. 10 times easier.  Only annoying trend is retail sellers often jack up their prices when Amazon sells out.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#4  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I'm afraid to play Phantasy Star II now. I loved it then, and it's still one of my favorites, but I wonder if all the gaming I've done since then will make me annoyed by its puzzles.  Has gaming evolved or have I devolved? 

I still wish they'd just make a new RPG.  Damn it.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By PerryVandell

I've been meaning to play Singularity, just been waiting for a price decrease. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.