Sea monster?

  • 66 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by GIVEMEREPLAY (821 posts) -

Has anyone else encountered a serpentine sea monster on the mid east coast near one of the oil platforms? I swear I saw something giant and scaly swimming near the surface, and now I'm terrified to go back in the water. I have seamonsterphobia. 

#2 Posted by AjayRaz (12416 posts) -

oh god help us all if this is in the game 

#3 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

It's 2nd april today?...
 
 
 
SHIT 
 But no really I'll be on the lookout, it'd be kinda neat if they put something like that in.

#4 Posted by j_meyer_13 (386 posts) -

Oh man, I really hope this is in the game... going to have to look next time I play.  I know the island on the very north-west corner  has the hatch from Lost on it... also, there's a mega-huge nightclub hanging like a kilometer in the air from two massive blimps, which is endlessly amusing to me.

#5 Posted by GIVEMEREPLAY (821 posts) -

If you want to look specifically It's near an oil rig and near the a line on the map drawn in the water. I guess it's like a boundary marker. No I am not joking. Sea monsters are the scariest thing in the world for me.  I spent at least an hour trying to find it after the first sighting just so I could get it out of my mind. No luck. 

#6 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -

  Shark?

#7 Posted by Veektarius (4536 posts) -
@GIVEMEREPLAY: If sea monsters are the scariest thing in the world for you, I have good news - they pretty much don't exist. (With the exception of the giant squid, but I wouldn't worry about that either)
Online
#8 Posted by Icil (727 posts) -

Damn nature, you scary. Ever since the eel in Mario64, I've been scared of sea monsters.
 
@Veektarius said:

" @GIVEMEREPLAY: If sea monsters are the scariest thing in the world for you, I have good news - they pretty much don't exist. (With the exception of the giant squid, but I wouldn't worry about that either) "
I remember reading that we know less about deep sea life than we do about our own solar system.
#9 Posted by Mmmslash (2166 posts) -
@Veektarius said:

" @GIVEMEREPLAY: If sea monsters are the scariest thing in the world for you, I have good news - they pretty much don't exist. (With the exception of the giant squid, but I wouldn't worry about that either) "

Oh yeah? Then explain this shit, motherfucker! Goddamn Cthulhu down there or something! 
 
Kidding aside, this shit is totally weird.
 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloop
#10 Posted by GIVEMEREPLAY (821 posts) -

Not the fake shark, it was a scaly, serpentine (snake like) green thing about as long as a large military boat (25 feet?). At least that's the part I saw. I didn't see a head or tail though.  
 
I totally agree that the sea is scary as hell. We know nothing about it, and whatever is down there has water advantage on you, it's bigger than you, you cant really fight it, and it can eat you. That's the WORST.  
 
Seriously though I won't rest until I see a screenshot or video of this thing. 

#11 Posted by alsnuts2 (673 posts) -

I think this topic illustrates a larger issue I have had in video games since ever. 
I am really scared about water sections in games. Especially if the water is murky. 

#12 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@alsnuts2 said:
" I think this topic illustrates a larger issue I have had in video games since ever. I am really scared about water sections in games. Especially if the water is murky.  "
Hydrophobia? 
#13 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -
@GIVEMEREPLAY: Hmm... I shall keep a lookout. By the oil platforms you say? Thats strange man. I have seen the shark but thats about it. :S  Kind of creepy the more i think of it. 
 
Just reminds me of the creepy things supposedly in the woods on GTA San Andreas.
#14 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -
@CornontheCobbe:
A friend showed it to me.Dark and horrid woods.You pan the camera slightly,then...........A CHAINSAW,LEATHER FACE IS AFTER ME asggfd'/4/5ahaa4sjx\zdsrewOMGWTFBBQ!
#15 Posted by GIVEMEREPLAY (821 posts) -

It's especially scary since I don't know whether it's programmed to eat you or just swim around. If it's a maneater I'm going to shit my pants when I see it. 

#16 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" It's especially scary since I don't know whether it's programmed to eat you or just swim around. If it's a maneater I'm going to shit my pants when I see it.  "
Ive heard about the fake shark and the beached whale. Nothing about a sea monster...you SURE you saw it an not a reflection or something?
#17 Posted by Mmmslash (2166 posts) -

I want the Sea Monster to exist =(

#18 Posted by Capum15 (4789 posts) -
@CornontheCobbe:  I kept seeing people post that on the Gamespot boards. Pretty neat, never bothered to check it myself.
 
A Sea Monster would be interesting too.
#19 Edited by Mikemcn (6936 posts) -

Damn...... now i need to go give Steam 50 bucks. Sonofabitch.
 
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:

" Not the fake shark, it was a scaly, serpentine (snake like) green thing about as long as a large military boat (25 feet?). At least that's the part I saw. I didn't see a head or tail though.   I totally agree that the sea is scary as hell. We know nothing about it, and whatever is down there has water advantage on you, it's bigger than you, you cant really fight it, and it can eat you. That's the WORST.   Seriously though I won't rest until I see a screenshot or video of this thing.  "


You would think this would be the one game where you actually could take down a sea monster, but I guess an underwater grappling hook would be a bit too extreme.
#20 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -
@alsnuts2 said:
"I think this topic illustrates a larger issue I have had in video games since ever. I am really scared about water sections in games. Especially if the water is murky.  "
Me too.  I mean, I know how to swim in real life, and used to go to the beach all the time.  But ever since Mario 64 with the giant eel, and Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire with the sewer monsters, I really hate water levels in video games. 
It's just the idea that the enemies can come from anywhere and you have terrible visibility that makes them super scary for me.
#21 Posted by Capum15 (4789 posts) -
#22 Posted by GIVEMEREPLAY (821 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" It's especially scary since I don't know whether it's programmed to eat you or just swim around. If it's a maneater I'm going to shit my pants when I see it.  "
Ive heard about the fake shark and the beached whale. Nothing about a sea monster...you SURE you saw it an not a reflection or something? "
Like I said it may have been a reflection, and I was in the middle of a fight at that time, but I'm pretty damn sure I saw a scaly swimming beast with multiple humps. Like this but without the head sticking up  http://www.tomlytle.com/Resources/Sea_serpent_Cape_Ann_1639.jpg
#23 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" It's especially scary since I don't know whether it's programmed to eat you or just swim around. If it's a maneater I'm going to shit my pants when I see it.  "
Ive heard about the fake shark and the beached whale. Nothing about a sea monster...you SURE you saw it an not a reflection or something? "
Like I said it may have been a reflection, and I was in the middle of a fight at that time, but I'm pretty damn sure I saw a scaly swimming beast with multiple humps. Like this but without the head sticking up  http://www.tomlytle.com/Resources/Sea_serpent_Cape_Ann_1639.jpg "
Sounds more like you just saw somthin...But there are lots of other easter eggs 
#24 Posted by GIVEMEREPLAY (821 posts) -

I won't be convinced until I see a picture of the beast or a word from the coders that it doesn't exist. 

#25 Posted by Meltac (1991 posts) -

If there really is a sea monster, this game is pretty awesome ... but also scary :( The sea monster in Okami scared the crap out of me :(

#26 Posted by tranquilchaos (572 posts) -

I'm intrigued...

#27 Posted by Titl (539 posts) -

If the monster exists, it is an instant buy for me..
 
I also really like the mystery of it's existence, sorta like the "real" Loch Ness or something.

#28 Posted by lilbigsupermario (840 posts) -

Wow, a sea monster you say?  I'll check it out once I get back to Just Cause 2 again hehe!  Pretty interesting.  :)

#29 Edited by GIVEMEREPLAY (821 posts) -

We need an all out monster hunt to see if this thing exists.  
 
Here's a screenshot of where I saw it. Note that this is in the top right of the map. 
 
  http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/996/seamonsteru.jpg
   
The red circle is the region I was in, and the cursor is pointing to the exact spot I think it was. I'm going to take a chopper over there right now to search. I'm not sure if it will spawn if you're not in a boat, but the vantage point will help. I'll report back with results. 

#30 Posted by Jeffsekai (7025 posts) -
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" We need an all out monster hunt to see if this thing exists.  
 
Here's a screenshot of where I saw it. Note that this is in the top right of the map. 
 
  http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/996/seamonsteru.jpg   The red circle is the region I was in, and the cursor is pointing to the exact spot I think it was. I'm going to take a chopper over there right now to search. I'm not sure if it will spawn if you're not in a boat, but the vantage point will help. I'll report back with results.  "
This sounds exciting
#31 Posted by Forcen (1797 posts) -

Man, potential sea monsters just got me interested in this game. Didn't Assassins creed 2 have a giant octopus somewhere to?
Remember that rumor about the Sasquatch in GTA: San Andreas? This is not fake like that one right?

#32 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Forcen said:
" Man, potential sea monsters just got me interested in this game. Didn't Assassins creed 2 have a giant octopus somewhere to?Remember that rumor about the Sasquatch in GTA: San Andreas? This is not fake like that one right? "
AC2 did have one. It was in one of the tombs. 
#33 Posted by RipTheVeins (1544 posts) -

This is like Monster Quest in text form, but at the same time way more interesting.

#34 Posted by Yummylee (21201 posts) -
@ImperiousRix said:
"@alsnuts2 said:
"I think this topic illustrates a larger issue I have had in video games since ever. I am really scared about water sections in games. Especially if the water is murky.  "
Me too.  I mean, I know how to swim in real life, and used to go to the beach all the time.  But ever since Mario 64 with the giant eel, and Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire with the sewer monsters, I really hate water levels in video games. It's just the idea that the enemies can come from anywhere and you have terrible visibility that makes them super scary for me. "

Same. More so from the sharks from the original RE...and then once again in the REmake O.O.
#35 Posted by Slax (894 posts) -
@ImperiousRix said:
" @alsnuts2 said:
"I think this topic illustrates a larger issue I have had in video games since ever. I am really scared about water sections in games. Especially if the water is murky.  "
Me too.  I mean, I know how to swim in real life, and used to go to the beach all the time.  But ever since Mario 64 with the giant eel, and Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire with the sewer monsters, I really hate water levels in video games. It's just the idea that the enemies can come from anywhere and you have terrible visibility that makes them super scary for me. "
This. But also adding Banjo and Kazooie for the 64. On like the second level if you were in the water to long then a shark would get you. It scared 10 year old me so bad.
#36 Edited by GIVEMEREPLAY (821 posts) -

I THINK i JUST SAW IT AGAIN! CHRIST!  
 
I took the Winstons Amens from the oil rig and used its gatling gun to shoot down a couple of PT boats chasing me. I shot one, it sank, and a few seconds later I saw the same shape come up from the water again. 3 green humps that rise just above the water. It rose twice, but I wasn't able to get a screenie of it. It was in the same area. This time just a little south of the oil rig, but still within the red circle.  I'm almost positive this thing exists now. 

#37 Posted by Meltac (1991 posts) -

If you're playing on PS3, try to record it ^^

#38 Posted by GIVEMEREPLAY (821 posts) -

Well dudes I'm afraid I might have discovered the cause of the "monster". When you shoot a patrol boat, causing it to explode, it changes from bright green to dingy green/black. If the boat is moving very quickly when it explodes, this empty green/black husk will continue going forward, sinking completely. Occasionally as it travels forward the boat will reemerge from the water, causing some part of it to be exposed, and revealing the black/green color that looks like a scaly hump. I probably say the bow and antenna/roll bar thing on the boat appear multiple times, which appeared like a serpent's humps. On reflection, the fact that the monster only appears when I blow a ship up, and the fact that it generally appears in the direction the boat was going before it sank seems to indicate that I was mistaking the boat hull for the monster. You can replicate this to see what I mean. 
 
Sorry for getting peoples' hopes up. I really did think I we had a monster on our hands. I was excited and terrified all at once. This of course doesn't rule out the possibility that there actually is a sea monster in Just Cause 2, but I don't think this is it. If any other game devs are listening, please put secret/hard to find sea monsters in your water from now on. I had fun almost pissing myself while searching for my life's greatest enemy. 

#39 Edited by Capum15 (4789 posts) -
@GIVEMEREPLAY:  Winstons Amens a boat?
 
Edit: Aww.
#40 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

This is beginning to be like the Fiji Mermaid in Oblivion. 
Or, if it's real, I guess more like the giant Mudcrab.

#41 Posted by Meltac (1991 posts) -

:(

#42 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

Yeah, fuck you Just Cause 2.
No sea-monster, no purchase from this customer.

#43 Edited by GIVEMEREPLAY (821 posts) -

I'm totally sad too. Now my goal is to try to make it to the edge of the map in the hope that something eats your boat if you go too far. Apparently though the map starts to become exponentially larger near its edges, because I just drove my boat for a good ten mins, yet it looked like I got nowhere on the map; now that I'm coming back though, it's taking just as long, so I'm tempted to think that there isn't just some invisible barrier. At least not for a good while.  
 
Edit: Gizmo, your picture perfectly matches the mood of that post. 

#44 Edited by Meltac (1991 posts) -

Now that we know that there isn't any sea creatures, you should start looking for flying creatures! Maybe there is a magnificent Ho-oh out there :O

#45 Posted by GIVEMEREPLAY (821 posts) -
#46 Posted by lilbigsupermario (840 posts) -

awww...shucks...i wanted to see the sea monster... :(

#47 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6385 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Forcen said:
" Man, potential sea monsters just got me interested in this game. Didn't Assassins creed 2 have a giant octopus somewhere to?Remember that rumor about the Sasquatch in GTA: San Andreas? This is not fake like that one right? "
AC2 did have one. It was in one of the tombs.  "
really? Is there any way you can show where the tomb is you found it in?
#48 Posted by raiz265 (2232 posts) -
@Meltac said:
" Now that we know that there isn't any sea creatures, you should start looking for flying creatures! Maybe there is a magnificent Ho-oh out there :O "
probably not but there's that freaking epic flying danceclub 
#49 Posted by Mmmslash (2166 posts) -
@Godlyawesomeguy: It's the last tomb, I think it starts with a V.
#50 Posted by Mikemcn (6936 posts) -

maybe someone can mod that in......

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.