So let me see if I got this right.

#1 Posted by Rebirth1337 (795 posts) -

The PS3 version of Just Cause 2 will have a record function right? Is there a video or info on this some were?

#2 Edited by PNut_Buttr_Panda (486 posts) -

yep. the ps3 will have a function that allows you to record the last 10 min of gameplay or so and you can upload them straight to your youtube account in game. theres a vid on it at the official site.

http://www.justcause.com/article/vlog1_en

#3 Posted by HatKing (5812 posts) -

Oh damn... why wouldn't they have that on the 360?
#4 Posted by Bolt (154 posts) -

That's pretty damn nifty. Be nice if more games did this. Especially Multiplayer ones.

#5 Posted by PNut_Buttr_Panda (486 posts) -
@HatKing: most likely because the 360 lacks enough extra processors to withold Frame rate during capture.
#6 Posted by Nasar7 (2598 posts) -
@PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
" @HatKing: most likely because the 360 lacks enough extra processors to withold Frame rate during capture. "
What? Didn't Halo 3 do the exact same thing constantly in the background?
#7 Edited by PNut_Buttr_Panda (486 posts) -
@Nasar7: sort of. halo 3s data was stored in halos unique format. and it didnt directly record video. it logged inputs and button presses. its how you can stop the record and spin around in it. it didnt record video it just logged the text data that the engine produced. the data halo 3 needed wasnt a strain on the system to record. where as jc2 is strictly audio and video capturing. not just data spreadsheet that that can be pages long and still only  take up little memory.
#8 Posted by HatKing (5812 posts) -
@Nasar7 said:
" @PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
" @HatKing: most likely because the 360 lacks enough extra processors to withold Frame rate during capture. "
What? Didn't Halo 3 do the exact same thing constantly in the background? "

Yeah it did, so did Skate and it had the feature to edit the videos and upload them to YouTube as well.  There may even be others I don't know of.  Not to mention San Andreas on the Xbox allowed a couple minutes of video capture, I highly doubt it is a processing power thing.  Odds are it is a thing that Sony paid for or the devs were too lazy to optimize for both systems.  It is upsetting because this is exactly the kind of game that'd be great for.  I guess we can hope it'll get put on XBL marketplace... then they'd probably charge for it there...
#9 Posted by PNut_Buttr_Panda (486 posts) -
fuck it. heres a pretty picture...

#10 Posted by Jerusahat (139 posts) -
@HatKing said:
" Oh damn... why wouldn't they have that on the 360? "
Sony added native Youtube API support to the PS3 SDK, so devs just have to plug into it. They'd have to implement it themselves for other platforms, so it's not really worth the extra effort.
#11 Posted by HatKing (5812 posts) -
@Jerusahat said:
" @HatKing said:
" Oh damn... why wouldn't they have that on the 360? "
Sony added native Youtube API support to the PS3 SDK, so devs just have to plug into it. They'd have to implement it themselves for other platforms, so it's not really worth the extra effort. "

Oh I didn't know that.  Are there are a bunch of PS3 games that allow this sort of video capture?  I never really hear of it if there are.... althought this thread is the first I heard of it for this game.
#12 Posted by TheHBK (5463 posts) -
@PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
wow, hateful and pretty unsubstantiated.  My thought might be that it is because every PS3 has a HDD.

Besides, the way Halo and Skate do it by recording the actions and then rendering in them in engine seems like a better way to do it.  Considering you can not only do video edits but also change the angle, zoom, speed and stuff because the game is rendering it and then only is a video produced.  Rather have that since some stunts would look sweet from different angles.
#13 Posted by PNut_Buttr_Panda (486 posts) -
@TheHBK: i hate arguing with people through forums. you cant record video at the same time as the game itself simply takes up too much of the systems resources. you can play with  video editing crap outside of general gameplay just like you said the game logs the actions of the player and does not directly record av. and the editing in halo 3 and skate is done at a separate time you cant record general game play during an actual game unless your in the damned forge mode otherwise there arent enough processors keep fr up. quit stating im wrong simply because halo and freaking skate can do video stuff. i said that it is usualy far too taxing on the system to directly record av. and not just log fucking actions and render it in an engine that is not currently in a game state running thousands of scripts and triggers simultaneously.

and if it was as simple as just having a HDD than they could easily write three lines of code that check to see if an HDD is present and disable the feature if it is not.
#14 Posted by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -
@TheHBK said:
" @PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
wow, hateful and pretty unsubstantiated.  My thought might be that it is because every PS3 has a HDD.  Besides, the way Halo and Skate do it by recording the actions and then rendering in them in engine seems like a better way to do it.  Considering you can not only do video edits but also change the angle, zoom, speed and stuff because the game is rendering it and then only is a video produced.  Rather have that since some stunts would look sweet from different angles. "
I don't see what he said as hateful. If anything, a fact.
#15 Posted by PNut_Buttr_Panda (486 posts) -
@Alphiehyr: thank you
#16 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -
@PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
" fuck it. heres a pretty picture...

"
TROLOL
#17 Posted by PNut_Buttr_Panda (486 posts) -

not that that was my only post in here troll...

#18 Posted by Andorski (5189 posts) -

Obviously it's because the 360 is teh suxx0rs and the PSTriple is gangstalicious.

#19 Posted by PNut_Buttr_Panda (486 posts) -
@Andorski:  sadly you have your brand allegiance set to microsoft...yet you spout sony fanboy nonsense.
#20 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
" @Andorski:  sadly you have your brand allegiance set to microsoft...yet you spout sony fanboy nonsense. "
But we both get...EXPLOSIVE PHYSICS! 
#21 Posted by TheHT (10871 posts) -

some people don't seen to get the difference between replay and recording.

#22 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@TheHT said:
" some people don't seen to get the difference between replay and recording. "
Nice post count. 

Wonder how long it will take to upload to youtube from PS3...Any idea what format they will use for recordin? 
#23 Posted by PNut_Buttr_Panda (486 posts) -
@TheHT: lol nice post count lol
#24 Posted by TheHT (10871 posts) -

Everything in my previous post was the devil. Please ignore it.

#25 Posted by BraveFart (298 posts) -
@PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
" @Andorski:  sadly you have your brand allegiance set to microsoft...yet you spout sony fanboy nonsense. "
i sense some sarcasm in Andorski's comment ^^
#26 Posted by Babylonian (837 posts) -

Hey, you know what's still terrible? 

Message boards about video games.

#27 Posted by Slab64 (1048 posts) -

Why don't you cry about it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.