The escapist names this GOTY

#1 Edited by Jack_Daniels (1414 posts) -
#2 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Just Cause 2 eh? 
Well, I did think it was stupid awesome fun. 
#3 Edited by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -

GOTY? No. Good, sure. But GOTY?

Anyway, The Escapist can go fuck itself already.

Edit: Oh, wait. This is Yahtzee's GOTY. Yeah, ok, that makes sense.

#4 Posted by Hailinel (24830 posts) -
@Ragdrazi said:
" GOTY? No. Good, sure. But GOTY?  Anyway, The Escapist can go fuck itself already. "
Well, it's they're opinion, and so long as they can back it up, I have no problem with it.
#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
#6 Posted by yakov456 (1908 posts) -

It's nice to see someone out there give it some well deserved credit. I know there is no way it's mainstream GOTY material but I was hoping someone felt the way I did about it.

#7 Edited by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

" @Ragdrazi said:

" GOTY? No. Good, sure. But GOTY?  Anyway, The Escapist can go fuck itself already. "
Well, it's they're opinion, and so long as they can back it up, I have no problem with it. "
Yeah, and I don't think you can do that. But it's not The Escapist's number one, it's Yahtzee's. And if there's one thing you cannot say about Yahtzee, it's that he provides a whole lot of backing up on his opinions. And that's why he's great!
#8 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Maybe not the game of the year, but certainly one of the best games of 2010. 

#9 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

I thought that game was a chore

#10 Edited by Geno (6477 posts) -
@kingzetta said:

" I thought that game was a chore "

I find that that sentiment correlates with how it was played. If a player went into it looking for a great linear progression, well they were disappointed because there wasn't one. If they walked into it looking for a gigantic, populated physics playground, they thought it was awesome. I'm of the latter. 
#11 Posted by august (3846 posts) -
@Jack_Daniels:  The Escapist and Zero Punctuation are not the same thing.
#12 Posted by Dalai (7030 posts) -

Yahtzee loves stupid fun and I don't blame him for it. There aren't enough games that can deliver that kind of experience. I have no problems with the choice.

#13 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Geno said:
" @kingzetta said:

I find that that sentiment correlates with how it was played. If a player went into it looking for a great linear progression, well they were disappointed because there wasn't one. If they walked into it looking for a gigantic, populated physics playground, they thought it was awesome. I'm of the latter.  "
It's not even that actually.
it's just the fact that getting anywhere is a complete chore. Even when you just fucking around.
I upgrade the jet's speed to max and it still takes half hour to get anywhere. It's huge world is a determent really.
#14 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

Since when does Yahtzee speak for all of Escapist?

#15 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

The parachute and grappling hook was just about the greatest way to get around in a game ever.

#16 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -
@Apathylad said:
" Since when does Yahtzee speak for all of Escapist? "
Since the rest of Escapist started to suck, right around the time they lost Unforgotten Realms.
#17 Posted by schwoo (8 posts) -

Awesome. It was my game of the year in terms of hours spent for sure.

#18 Posted by yakov456 (1908 posts) -
@kingzetta
@Geno said:
" @kingzetta said:

I find that that sentiment correlates with how it was played. If a player went into it looking for a great linear progression, well they were disappointed because there wasn't one. If they walked into it looking for a gigantic, populated physics playground, they thought it was awesome. I'm of the latter.  "
it's just the fact that getting anywhere is a complete chore. Even when you just fucking around.
I upgrade the jet's speed to max and it still takes half hour to get anywhere. It's huge world is a determent really.
You do know you can fast travel right?
#19 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

I did enjoy it more than RDR, so I can't really say it's a bad choice. As a matter of fact, I wholeheartedly endorse this decision. Just Cause 2 was an awesome game.

#20 Posted by SSully (4189 posts) -

I love a good sandbox game, but Just Cause 2 did not do it for me. Messing around in the world was fun, but the missions were just stupid. I was not looking for a good story or anything, but they couldnt even provide a decent backdrop for the game. They should have just given you all the guns and vehicles at your disposal via air drop, cut the story/missions, thrown a 20 dollar price tag and leave it at that. 

#21 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

You're generalising The Escapist by specifically referring to Zero Punctuation specifically. This is Yahtzee's GotY, not their's in general.

#22 Posted by TwoLines (2811 posts) -

One of 2010's best for sure. GOTY? Nah.

#23 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@yakov456 said:
" @kingzetta
@Geno said:
" @kingzetta said:

You do know you can fast travel right? "
only to places you've already been so it's useless  because you never have to go back anywhere
and even that takes like 4 cutscenes
#24 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4516 posts) -

I don't disagree with this at all. Not my personal GOTY, but I'd be a liar if I said this game didn't have me constantly grinning.

#25 Posted by SL33TBL1ND (525 posts) -

I think the op should pay more attention to his wording.

#26 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -

Ben Yahtzee is not The Escapist, Zero Punctuation is all I go to that site for anyway though.

#27 Posted by Jack_Daniels (1414 posts) -
@SSully:  Why would they EVER drop the release price by $40.
#28 Posted by AURON570 (1674 posts) -
@august said:
" @Jack_Daniels:  The Escapist and Zero Punctuation are not the same thing. "
This
#29 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Wait wait wait. That is Yahtzee's game of the year, not The Escapist's.

EDIT: I can see I'm late to the party on this one.

#30 Posted by Ravenousrattler (1417 posts) -

well it made my list number 3

#31 Posted by SuicidalSnowman (396 posts) -

I enjoy watching Zero Punctuation, but more for the entertaining puns and metaphors than actual game criticism.  I personally think the whole "nerd picks apart games everyone else otherwise likes with hyperbole and random jaded curmudgeonry" is overdone at this point.  It is far easier to point out that Metroid Other M is a terrible attempt to cash in on name recognition than it is to pick out the subtleties that make good games great. 

I also get tired of him endlessly prattling on about Half-Life, Shadow of the Colossus, and Silent Hill.  I know you loved those games, but stop looking for every new shooter to be Half-Life 3, every action game Shadow of the Colossus 2, or every horror game to be Silent HIll 6: The One that is Just like Old Silent Hill.  Those were all great games, but lets appreciate them for what they were and move forward.

#32 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@yakov456 said:
" @kingzetta
@Geno said:
" @kingzetta said:

You do know you can fast travel right? "
Saying it's not a chore because you can just skip it completely isn't exactly selling it strongly.
#33 Posted by EVO (3909 posts) -

For a few weeks Just Cause 2 was my go-to game. Once I finished the story missions, it became almost therapeutic, just slowly liberated the hundreds of villages and bases littered throughout the island.

Then I played it on shrooms and nearly had a heart attack. I haven't played it much since.

#34 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -
Oh no! Someone's opinion is different to mine! How do I deprecate it as quickly as possible?
#35 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

good choice. i had a tooooon of fun playing that and the map is fucking amazing. 

#36 Edited by ProfessorEss (7376 posts) -

I totally agree, JC2 's my #1 game of the year too. 

@EVO said:

Once I finished the story missions, it became almost therapeutic, just slowly liberated the hundreds of villages and bases littered throughout the island.

Absolutely. I don't know what it is, but the slow, endless grind of taking over that giant island just doesn't get old for me. 
#37 Posted by lavaman77 (567 posts) -

Great pick, this game deserves it.

I still haven't yet finished the game because every time i pick up the controller i go up to a high mountain, find a road, then jack a car and attach it to a smaller caller and the hurl myself and the car down witnessing the awesome chaos that happens.

#38 Posted by Deusoma (3007 posts) -

If not RDR, I'm glad it was Just Cause 2. Definitely one of the most unappreciated games of the year.

#39 Posted by Detrian (1126 posts) -

OP is an idiot. Move along.

#40 Posted by xyzygy (9996 posts) -

I enjoyed Just Cause 2 so much, I'm not surprised to see it get this!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.