Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Just Cause 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 23, 2010

Rico Rodriguez returns to explore another autocratic island nation in this explosion-laded followup to Just Cause.

This is the most underrated game of the year

• 66 results
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Geno

I played the demo a while ago and thought it was pretty decent but didn't think much of it after that. Since the Steam deal I've been playing it almost nonstop and I don't really know what to say. I'm in an utter state of awe. Ok, let me try to give you an idea what this game is like:  

Take GTAIV 
    Put it in an open land mass several times larger than Liberty City with several times more things to do. Also add extensive amounts of verticality in the form of buildings and mountains.
    Give the main character the ability to grab onto anything and zoom up to it at breakneck speeds.
    Turn up the physics 10x.
    Add ridiculous voice acting that is so bad it's good.    
    Explosions. Everywhere.

What was the last thing I did in the game before I wrote  this post? I chased down a rocket as it was going into orbit with a jet I stole and blew up the projectile in midair several miles above ground level (there is no transition from air to ground so the scale is absolutely GINORMOOUS), then I flew through the insanely good looking explosion and ensuing puffs of smoke (it was so glorious I didn't even take screenshots, and I take screenshots of everything), after which I lost track of my orientation and starting shooting straight down to the ground at Mach 3. When I realized what was happening I opened the hatch of the plane's cockpit, jumped out and spread my parachute as I watched my plane explode in another impressive fireball on the buildings and streets below me, escaping a gruesome death by mere milliseconds and inches.  

The surrounding militia were a little pissed that I crashed their plane right in the middle of their hometown after destroying their billion dollar rocket, so they started flipping their shit and a half dozen military Tuk-Tuks (you read that right) stormed my landing location; but they were in such a hurry that they started running over both each other and the civilians, which created enough of a distraction for me to grapple onto an old man's jeep so that I could parachute jump off of that onto another dude's quad bike and make my getaway driving through a dense forest like a madman and barely missing like a hundred trees. Helicopter started chasing me so what do I do? I grapple that bitch, punch the pilot 3 times in the face and throw him out, then I fly that helicopter to the tallest building in the game and enjoy the view.

Just Cause 2 is filled with such scenarios, and most importantly they stem from your own creativity. 

Games with such open-ended gameplay, physics and environments must look like crap to compensate right? Wrong. 

So basically you've got sick-as-shit gameplay meets one of the most beautiful looking games ever made. It's absurd. Not since Crysis have I felt this way about a game.

This game should be right up there with the other GOTY titles. At the very least, those who haven't played it are missing out. 
    Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

I really liked this game, however the flimsy ragdoll physics turned me off quite a bit. This game would have been awesome if it would have used that Euphoria thing.

Nonetheless I've spent many hours playing this and I agree with what you're saying.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Tennmuerti

I got bored quite quickly and the land size made travel a chore on anything but a jet.
    It's not filled with awesome scenarios. There are a few awesome scenarios and the rest is repetitive garbage.
    If anything the game is overrated.
    2c

dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By dantheman1515

I didn't find the gameplay fun, but the open-world stuff was good and the game was fun as hell. Personally I think Halo Reach is the most underrated game of the year as it isn't even being discussed for game of the year at most sites, and is losing to Black Ops for best FPS everywhere (which is ridiculous by the way). Its not my game of the year, its fourth for me behind ME2, RDR, and AC:B, but its a great game with no real flaws. It deserved higher scores than it got. 

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By benjaebe

You know, I liked Just Cause 2. I really did. But playing on a console made it get really old really fast. Some of the mods on PC have been awesome and that makes it a lot more fun to play.
    Also, as a completionist, it was a total nightmare. I spent around 18 hours doing faction missions and completing locations for the 100 locations completed trophy and eventually just got sick of the game.

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

Like most decent games, I'm entering the ring a bit late. 
    Like the author of this thread, I found the demo (the first time) to be a little odd. I didn't like how the parachute and grappling hook were controlled. I hated the driving. I thought the A.I.s where a bit stupid and I was frustrated since there wasn't a cover button. That was under a year ago, probably about a month before the game was released. Last week I re-downloaded the demo and had such an amazing time. 
    In a lot of games I own, I am used to following a linear path and only being able to destroy certain, scripted objects. I was used to very boring gameplay. But now I realise the game isn't as shit as I thought, the explosions are so unrealistic it's great. The grappling-hook-parachute-transportation was a breath of fresh air, no pun intended. The fact I could lose half my health bar to a rocket firing helicopter and then grapple onto it, hijack it and then blow everything in site up.... it was great. 

Also nice description of the gameplay, I like to think of it as GTA IV, Crackdown 2 (known to have the most ridiculous explosions EVAR!) and a bit of Prototype, all merged, hyped up and filled with even more explosions (GTA, CD 2 and Prototype are pretty much filled with a lot of explosions).

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Jack268

I liked Just Cause 2 with the Bolo patch a lot. The story mode was meh, but dude, flying around in jets and toying with the tether took a really long time to get old. It's also very well optimized, even my 3 year old PC runs it at very high settings at a pretty solid 60 fps. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just Cause 2 is amazing and a crazy amount of fun, but it doesn't deserve a very high spot on the list for GotY proper. If you try to do all the side stuff, you will get burnt out before getting through a lot of it, and the story stuff is just kind of all of the same. Like Split/Second, it's a very quick burn that wows and amazes at first, but doesn't hold the same satisfaction the 60th time you do something.

Definitely a great game, though. I know I loved it. I just got really burnt out doing the side stuff, and the story missions weren't particularly good.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By ch13696
    @dantheman1515 said:

" I didn't find the gameplay fun, but the open-world stuff was good and the game was fun as hell. Personally I think Halo Reach is the most underrated game of the year as it isn't even being discussed for game of the year at most sites, and is losing to Black Ops for best FPS everywhere (which is ridiculous by the way). Its not my game of the year, its fourth for me behind ME2, RDR, and AC:B, but its a great game with no real flaws. It deserved higher scores than it got.  "

If you're a fan of Halo Reach, then I suggest you check out this podcast 

http://scorephoria.com/2010/12/14/scorephorias-2010-game-of-the-year-podcast/  

They didn't give it GotY, but they do praise it. Makes me want to check out the game and see what I'm missing. 
    mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By mrfizzy

i was never really able to get into it tbh. I mean i thought it was ok, but nothing amazing. 

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shadows_kill

you forgot one thing! its only $18 now!!

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jimbo

I got ultimate frustrated and ragequit on one mission and then never went back to it.  I think it was something to do with a limo.  Game was pretty good before that.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By trophyhunter

The first 2 hours are really awesome.
    Then it quickly falls off into chore town

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BaneFireLord

I LOVE this game so much and everyone I know who's played it seems to love it. Just last night I was at a friend's house. We were playing COD, but after dinner I put in Just Cause 2 and handed him the controller. He was still playing and laughing his ass off at the batshit crazy stuff going on at one in the morning. Probably the funnest game I've played all year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I haven't played that many games from 2010, but Just Cause 2 is very good. I think the worst thing about it is the repetition, and there are much worse flaws to have.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xyzygy

Love the game so much I even went for S-Rank. Definitely one of my favorites of the year!

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By yakov456

Had it from day one and I still play it. If that isn't an endorsment I don't know what is.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By nintendoeats

No way. Don't get me wrong, its a good game. But Alpha Protocol seems much more deserving of this award.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FritzDude

Just Cause 2 = Sandbox game on steroids.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By trophyhunter
    @nintendoeats said:
    " No way. Don't get me wrong, its a good game. But Alpha Protocol seems much more deserving of this award. "
    Damn straight
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Vinny_Says

I played it with the sound off, listening to my music. Guess why? In this day and age, GTA4 and RDR have something Just Cause doesn't: A great fucking story. 

I would rather play on a reasonably large area with stuff to do and a great story than an enormous landmass with shitty writing and nothing to do after 2 hours.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Scooper

I had almost EXACTALY this same experience last night. I blew up that rocket and flew through the explosion then started doing bombing runs over a pipeline blowing up dockyards and I flew underneath a bridge and crash landed at the last second watching my plane blow up into the woods in a glorious fashion.

The game is amazingly silly and fun. It looks amazing too and runs much better then I thought it would.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HandsomeDead

This game got so tedious after five minutes. Definition of grind.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacklabeldomm said:
    " I played it with the sound off, listening to my music. Guess why? In this day and age, GTA4 and RDR have something Just Cause doesn't: A great fucking story. 

I would rather play on a reasonably large area with stuff to do and a great story than an enormous landmass with shitty writing and nothing to do after 2 hours.

"
    I think you missed the point of the game.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By JJOR64

Every time I hear about this game I want to check it out.  I will most likely pick it up when it's budget price.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By 234r2we232
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    " I played it with the sound off, listening to my music. Guess why? In this day and age, GTA4 and RDR have something Just Cause doesn't: A great fucking story. 

"
    I'm amazed at the amount of people who have never watched a made-for-TV Crime Thriller, or any Western for that matter.
    sgt_match

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By sgt_match

Thanks for reminding me,  I didn't play much of it, had zero interest in doing more story missions, but damn, there was a ton of fun to be had.  I would say it deserves the "Most Improved Sequel" award
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28  Edited By Geno

Just thought I'd post some video clips as well (these aren't mine): 

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Enigma777

It was fun at first but it got old fast for me... 

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#30  Edited By citizenkane
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By yinstarrunner

Just Cause 2 is a great game and a really fun time, but it does something that insures it will never be considered for any GOTY awards:

It doesn't take itself seriously. At all.  So it instantly gets discredited.

Critics like games with "mature" stories like Halo, COD, RDR, and Assassin's Creed.  LOL.

It's the same reason Bayonetta won't be considered.

Polish>Tone>Gameplay when it comes to game of the year.  Or perhaps I'm just being too cynical.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By WickedCestus

This is looking like it might be a 2011 purchase for me.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By cstrang

Naw...  Just Cause 2 just wasn't that good.  Like the other people that seem to be voicing their opinion in this thread, I found the first little while to be quite fun, then tedium set in and the urge to keep booting the game up died out.  I didn't even finish the story.

twillfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By twillfast

Imho Just Cause 2 was a shit game that was fun because of all the shit.. sort of. I think all the shooting feels bad, the driving's okay, but all the bad is balanced up by all the craziness that goes on.

The reason why I disagree with it being "the most underrated game" is because pretty much all the fun comes from the things that you do, not the things the game have you do. I think that is on even footing with Dead Rising 2. Could be very boring, but if you make it fun, it's very fun. I guess what I'm saying is that if you think Just Cause 2 is the most underrated game of the year, you might aswell give yourself the "most creative player of the year"-award.

Edit: apparantly I type bad at night.

Berserk007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Berserk007

I liked JC2 alot but it really got to be very tedious

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DG991
    @zudthespud: This. 

It is a good game with very good gameplay with it's open world. But it does somethings that hurt other games as well. 

Prototype and Assassins creed 1 were games like this imo. They had new and interesting gameplay, or at least refined mechanics, but they just blew it when it came to repetition and story. 

I don't know much about game development but I feel like with the three games I am talking about: 
    Prototype 
    Assassins Creed1 
    Just Cause 2 

They get 80% of the way there with the engine, the looks, and the mechanics... and then the little things they just screw up on. Not enough variety in missions, story could be better (prototype was getting stupid with it's story, AC1 had a laughable ending, and just cause 2 certainly didn't have a strong story), and maybe some other little things that just keep it from getting there. 
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Scooper
    @Geno said:

" Just thought I'd post some video clips as well (these aren't mine): 

"
    The bike stunt @ 0:46 on this was brilliant. I'm going to try that.
    W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
    @Geno: It's fun if you play it like minecraft.
    j_meyer_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By j_meyer_13
    @Geno: God dammit, you just reminded me of how ridiculously fun that game can be, and how disappointed I am in myself for not at least finishing it...

Well done, sir.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheGreatGuero

This is the one game I rented this year and still didn't play. I wanted to, but I had also rented another game, and Blockbuster is back to only giving you 5 days with rentals. Such a shame. I'll have to make sure I really get some good on-hands time with it soon.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TwoLines
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:

" @blacklabeldomm said:

"
    I think you missed the point of the game. "
    Exactly.
    Example of a mission in the game: sabotage three satelites, fourth one lifts off, you have to steal a jet and shoot it before it reaches space.
    Best mission in any game ever. I's so over the top, it's amazing.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By JoelTGM

I think it got a lot of praise already for being so crazy.  

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Azteck

I'd get it if I had a PC that could run it. The possibilities are crazy on PC.

@trophyhunter said:

" @nintendoeats said:
    " No way. Don't get me wrong, its a good game. But Alpha Protocol seems much more deserving of this award. "
    Damn straight "
    Also, these fine gents are correct.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#44  Edited By Jazz
    @Tennmuerti said:
    " I got bored quite quickly and the land size made travel a chore on anything but a jet. It's not filled with awesome scenarios. There are a few awesome scenarios and the rest is repetitive garbage.If anything the game is overrated. 2c "
    Agreed
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By FreakAche

Yeah it's pretty great, but I'm not sure everyone will recognize it's greatness since most people probably played the inferior console version.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TomA

A) I think we all know what Just Cause 2 is by now, you didn't need to describe it to us. 
    B) This game isn't underrated at all, it got alot of attention and recognition from gaming publications.

pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By pretender15
    @Geno: Most underrated game of the year: Alpha Protocol
    ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ClaritySam
    @trophyhunter said:
    " The first 2 hours are really awesome. Then it quickly falls off into chore town "
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Geno:
    Why on earth would you turn down such a visually-stunning and polished open world game until now? its not like it disappointed people like Fable 3 or was generic like Tron or just another installment like Reach, it was a highly praised game with the craziest action you can get... so i think anyone who dismissed it just because it didnt have a 'story' made a big mistake 
    I had the best fun EVER playing that game. it gave a new meaning to the word 'fun' to me and i beat it with a huge smile on my face. 

Hey, having a story and some deep shit is always good in games, but so many people are so hung up on stories that they forgot that we're playing GAMES here. i wouldnt mind this game being someone's GOTY, it was perfect enough in so many aspects that its really a masterpiece. no story? SO WHAT ?   

JC2 is number 3-4 on my Best of 2010 list

@FritzDude
    said:
    "

Just Cause 2 = Sandbox game on steroids.

"
    and you love it !
    DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DG991

Is everyone kidding about   Alpha Protocol? Jeff gave it 3 stars and it didn't look that great...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.