jeff4moso's Just Cause 2 (PlayStation 3) review

Top of the World...almost

Just Cause 2 is a fun game.  There's a ton of these to do, and a lot of space (and I mean a lot) to explore.  Now that that is out of the way, lets get a bit more specific.

Story
The story is rather forgettable and if you are looking for a great story, look elsewhere.  You work for a company called the Agency, and you are coming to Panau to restore US influence in the area.  That's about it.  While the story isn't incredible strong, the Agency missions are some of the best in the game.  I don't want to spoil any of it, but you will want to push forward in order to unlock the different agency missions because they are pretty cool.

Gameplay
I'm sure everyone knows by now that you have a grappling hook and a parachute at your disposal.  The grappling hook is pretty easy to use and has an incredible range.  Using the grappling hook and parachute to slingshot your way around is one of the most effective ways of travel in Panau.  The grappling hook can also be used to pull enemies down from high ledges, grapple enemies to the environment, or to grapple two other things in the environment to each other.  One use of this is grappling a statue to a car and then using the car to pull down the statue.

The gun play leaves something to be desired.  There are several different gun types but most seem pretty underpowered and the enemies can take a lot of punishment.  There is also no cover system which isn't too bad because your character can soak up a lot of damage as well.

Verdict
If you are coming to this game for the story, you will be greatly disappointed.  If you are coming for a cool open world with lots to see and blow up, you'll be happy you came.  There are just so many cool possibilities in how to approach a task.  My favorite was tethering enemies to the gas canisters and then shooting the canisters and watching the enemy fly away.  Truly cool.