Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kairo

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 21, 2012

Kairo is an exploration puzzle game where the player is tasked with bringing a city back to life.

Arrrrrgh!!!

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Picked this up from Steam today (£4), was about two hours into the first sitting when the game unexpectedly quit. There was no error message so I wasn't entirely sure if it had crashed or if it was a weird Antichamber moment of abruptly sending you to the desktop, but then suddenly all my programs shut down and Windows logs me off.

Apparently Windows Update killed my game, which is the first time that's happened while I'm actually actively using my computer. The game does autosave, but it's never clear when it's doing it and I've apparently lost a fair bit of progress as a result.

Otherwise the game is pretty neat, but I'm beginning to think it launches in a window for a reason.

perrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By perrin

Sorry, not sure there's much I can do about Windows Update shutting the game down. Pretty sure Windows Update can do that on any game if it wants to. However the game should autosave every time you walk through a door, so you should never lose much progress.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I'm not sure. The closest thing I've seen to it before is a few Square games that don't circumvent the power saving scheme, meaning the computer will go into standby if the keyboard isn't being hit every couple of minutes (which is all well and good until you play it with a joypad).

After doing a few searches it looks like it happens with a bunch of games (there's a great thread on the League of Legends forum about it), so I guess there's nothing you can do.

I'd just completed the second hub and was going up the elevator when it happened, so with there being some slight backtracking there maybe things got mixed up. Lost two puzzle pieces but obviously they're quick to solve the second time around. Maybe if there was a simple message on the menu screen giving the time of the last autosave? Clearly I know nothing about programming so I don't know if that's a simple thing to implement.

perrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Hmm.... I think I might know why you lost so much progress. Thing is right the game actually saves constantly, whenever you solve anything or go into a new room. If it's thrown you back that far it must be to do with Steam's cloud saving. The quick shutdown must have meant Steam went down before it could synch the new save file. Then when you reloaded it went back to the last time the cloud save was synched. That's probably my fault for trusting the latest cloud save I find is always the latest. That's gonna be a tricky one to fix. Will need to do something to check if the game's internal save data is newer than the cloud data.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.