Kano, Australian Or British? What the hell is going on?

#1 Posted by Rowr (5476 posts) -

This annoys me.

I think this confusion started when Trevor Goddard played the role of Kano in the Mortal Kombat movie.
Which he played with a British accent anyway. Since the guy had a fake Australian accent. The thing about Trevor Goddard is he always claimed to be from Perth Western Australia to further his career, it was found after his unfortunate death that he was actually from the UK. His IMBD profile says this.

"While Goddard's official biography listed his place of birth as Perth, Australia, and the year as either 1966 or 1965, his parents, Eric and Clara Goddard, of Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex, in July of 2003 came forward to state that Trevor was in fact born in Sussex, England, his date of birth was in 1962, and that Trevor's claims to being a reformed criminal from Australia were in a fact a fabrication. He was able to fool many into believing his London accent was an Australian one, and edged out many authentic Australian actors for roles.

His portrayal of the 'Kano' character in the Mortal Kombat movie directly influenced the evolution of the character in later Mortal Kombat video games. For example, in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, Mortal Kombat: Deception and most recently in Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, the character of Kano had a characteristically Australian accent and personality, as exemplified in the Mortal Kombat 1995 film."

Personally this guy always shit me, because his accent sounded like an American pretending to be an Australian.

As far as i'm concerned Kano is british, he never at any point sounded Australian in the first place.
#2 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

I always thought he was British, didn't understand why people said he was from Austrailia. That being said i don't think it matters too much, still i can see why some people might want clarity on the issue. Maybe Jeff can enlighten us?

#3 Posted by Rowr (5476 posts) -

I have no idea why this drives me insane.

#4 Posted by EvilDingo (589 posts) -

I don't think the actor's ACTUAL nationality really matters. It's obvious he tried to portrait the character as australian... and as an result the character has afterwards become australian.

I don't believe Kano's nationality was defined in any games before the movie... and I guess him being an australian seemed to fit well enough for Boon (or who-ever actually keeps control of the MK-lore) to keep it.
#5 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I always thought Kano was a douche...I didn't know he was British or Australian. Only Douche.

#6 Posted by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

Sounded Australian to me, I'll have to watch it again.

#7 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Anyway still have the MK1 manual? It would say what Kano's real nationality is. I can't remember where he's from, and even though I'm a big MK fan, I can't honestly say that I really even care. To me he's just always been a criminal outcast and where he's really from is irrelevant. I see him as the kind of guy who isn't attached to any particular place.

#8 Posted by CanadianBaconX (170 posts) -

I think at first he was suppose to be half American and half Japanese but, after how the actor in the first MK movie did it with an Australian accent they changed Kano to that... 

#9 Posted by HODGEY3000 (344 posts) -

australian i hope
#10 Posted by Cramsy (1163 posts) -

Now I think about it he does sound Australian. Aussies represent (although the guy is a douche) 

#11 Posted by Captain_Insano (1527 posts) -

To resurrect a 9 month old thread, Kano definitely is Australian, as demonstrated in the current MK game where:

#12 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -

I just want to show my appreciation for this thread, because I wanted to know the precise origin of Kano's nationality. Always had the suspicion it was rather ambiguous until after the film.

#13 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

He's a criminal. From Australia. How complicated can you make this jesus fuck.
#14 Posted by NovaDTH (153 posts) -

I always thought he was an Aussie being that he's a criminal and all. 

Yeah that was in poor taste I know.

#15 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

Whatever the original lore and intent was, he is clearly an Aussie now.

#16 Posted by Hailinel (23846 posts) -

@Slaker117 said:

Whatever the original lore and intent was, he is clearly an Aussie now.

Yeah. The comment above stating that Kano's background was originally half Japanese/half American is correct, but that was retconned after his hammy portrayal as an Australian in the movie.

#17 Posted by President_Barackbar (3432 posts) -

Kano's nationality in MK 1 was supposed to be Japanese-American, but after his portrayal by Goddard in the film was retconned to Australian.

#18 Posted by ShaggE (6320 posts) -

I'm just glad to see folks discussing Kano. Dude gets no love. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.